IGNORED

RSV Engine Problems

First_N_Last

Over a period of four months, many symptoms were noted before it got bad enough for me to dig deep enough to correct the issue causing the symptoms. This post is to share the experience.

The symptoms started subtly & slowly in May. So slowly, that it was hard to notice the changes.

• starting started to require a twist of throttle
  • days later, more rpm was required to start moving from a stop
  • weeks later, pinging slowly developed 2k to 3k engine loads at high end
  • later, moving from stop required 2.5K+ or you'd stall
  • I changed from regular to high test & pinging was solved & moving from stop was ok
  • the high test worked for a few weeks, the...
  • pinging started lightly again...

At this point I researched the TPS unit. Then I checked it's operation. It was within spec. I checked the pinging with partial choking & the pinging remained. Now I was really puzzled????

Puzzled with the previous symptoms, the Hard Starting really became a problem.

One morning I pushed on the starter switch - the engine turned a little & locked. After 2 more tries it slowly turned & started. The battery voltage was dropping so low during this that the trip odometers & time would reset.

That symptom progressed as I tried:

• disabled the alarm system with the thought that it was draining the battery - charged the battery - no change

• I bought a new battery - after 1 day - same problem
  • I began to think that perhaps I had a RSV key switch problem.

Weather kept me from working on it for a few days. I had a memory of my Power Car days. There was a time as performance of my car was increased to a point where the stock battery was not delivering enough amps to turn the engine over. A temp fix I had was to retard the timing until I could upgrade the battery. Then I had an IDEA!

• I pulled my DynaTek 3000 & flipped the switches back & forth tinkig of possible bad connections - no change
  • then I changed the mode to below stock - no change
  • lastly I replaced the DynaTek with the stock TDI ????

After I changed the TDI to stock, I set the choke, then I touched the starter switch...

In a blink of the eye, the engine started & purred. YES!

Two weeks later, I was certain of the symptoms being solved.

WOW

Now I had to decide what to do with my bad DynaTek unit.

I emailed Dynatek about the issue & explained the whole history of the symptoms. I probably gave them two much information. They were skeptical & suggested all kinds of things to be checked. After a few emails, they relented & to my surprise, gave me a RA number to return the unit.

After about a month, my defective DynaTek 3000 was replaced & sent back to me.

DynaTek is a good company that stands behind their products. Many THANKS to them.

This spring I will be installing my brand new USB setup 3000 TDI.

That is it - what a pain this was & now I really appreciate my quick starting RSV (that most of us have).

LOL

Hmmm!! As I read your symptoms I was thinking valve adjustment but then your second post tells me your fancy expensive aftermarket ignition box was at fault...

This problem & it's symptoms could have been a lot of different things.

GEES - that was the biggest issue for me.

ARGH!

I was depressed that I couldn't fix it quickly!

Thanks for your thoughts.

I never could get my Dyna to work right. I sent it back to Dynatek three times. I even sent a video with the poor running. They just blew me off and sent it back saying it tested normal. The bike runs good with the stock module so I will just live with that.

Mike

• 3 months later...
Thank you for sharing your concerns.

May i ask what real positive results or performance you recieve from changing from the stock unit?

Your thoughts, not the advertised thoughts?

Thanks, mike

For me the biggest result is more power in low & middle rpm.

jb

Here is an update;

Back in the thread, I sent the bad Dynatek back & it was replaced with the new model programmed by USB. I installed it about a month ago.

It was left with Dynatek settings - works great with plenty of power. It does need better than 87 octane now, but the performance is well worth it (to me). The unit is easily worth the money if you have a heavy Trike to move down the road.

JB

Thanks for that info!! I just may spring for one and see how it works out! Any better MPG or am I asking for too much out of the unit...

Too early to tell - weather is cold almost every morning & sometimes leave the choke on a little (forget) - I haven't fully changed the gas over from 87 octane yet - haven't decided if I can get by with medium or if I have to use premium.

After that is finished, I'll run a few tanks & give a report back here on the average mileage.

JB