IGNORED

Need a little guidance

I am about to take my fairing off (83 venture royal)and can not find a guide to removing it. I searched the forums with no luck. Can someone give me just a brief down and dirt on how to proceed and what I should watch out for????

thanks

Ron

I am about to take my fairing off (83 venture royal)and can not find a guide to removing it. I searched the forums with no luck. Can someone give me just a brief down and dirt on how to proceed and what I should watch out for????

thanks

Ron

Do not rush, look for bolts & screws, as you proceed along the process. If something doesn't want to come out, you missed a fastener..........

Windshield, Mirrors, Turn Signals, Radiator Side Trim & Sidecovers come off, Lower Fairings, Headlight Cover, Vent Air Scoop (underside below headlight) too. Pull the Radio Panel assy, remove 6 screws for panel mount & CLASS Controller mount (4 screws, tilt front end up pull forward) too. Unscrew the console covers & remove after dis-connecting speakers, 4 way hazard switch (I unplug thru the turn signal openings). You now have access to your mounting fasteners for the outer fairings.

A few more things will need to be disconnected to remove the inner fairing plastic. But you will see this, without difficulty.

You'll have to pull the mirrors, windshield, headlight bezel, lower cowling under the headlight, Top panels, lower vent fairings, Pull off the side covers, faux tank cover, chrome side pieces beside the radiator. Then you can start to get at all the bolts and screws that hold it on. Not a job for the faint of heart, make sure you take pics of it all if you have doubts about being able to put it back together. We'll be here if you run into problems

:happy34:

Don't rush. If it don't want to move you missed something and will break tabs if you try to force it. Take your time and it is not really hard just make sure you remove all the screws. The older these things get the more brittle they are.

I use a plastic box, with about 20 seperate bins to keep all the parts IN, in the ORDER OF REMOVAL!!

This makes it a lot eaiser to re install everything.

I heard of some that lay their bikes down and get the faring off that way. It's not a move I would suggest, it seems to come off rather easy with lots of pieces, but a real bummer to put back the way it was. So I think you're going about the right way, one piece at a time and go gentle. Like has been said, if it don't want to come there has to be a fastener some where. Don't worry too much about the screws, there are some different ones, about 4 main kinds I think, but they don't interchange too well, so when you go to put it back together, go gentle again, and if it doesn't seem to fit well, it probably is not meant to go there.

Just my foolausofie.