IGNORED

Zumo Power Location

2WHEELSFORME

I went straight to the battery . Why ? , cause when I stop along side of road to talk on phone (via blue-tooth) , I sometimes turn the scoot off . Or for fuel , I still want to listen to tunes (XM , MP3 , or phone) , I simply switch off the scoot but leave on accessory to not interrupt my pleasures . While refueling , I have an extra key attached to a retractable dummy-cord reel . I pull it down out of my windshield bags to unlock my gas cap instead of using ignition key . Also my caps is suspended by the cord and I have something holding my gas cap . At least if the Zumo is still powered and uninterrupted by power loss . Besides , one less thing sucking power out of the wiring harness .

BEER30

I spliced in a two prong trailer connector to the power cord and hooked it up to the pigtail that is attached to the battery for my battery tender. GPS is always hot and I simply unplug it if I need to hook up the tender. And it is one less thing on my harness.

I power mine through a 3 switch housing on top of the brake reservoir. That switch is wired from the factory to use one power input for all three toggles. I powered it from the battery through a relay. I activate the relay off the back of the cigarette lighter so the switch is hot in acc position. I feel better when I can power off the cradle when I don't have the Zumo in place.

I run my Zumo and grip heaters off the switch right now. I like having the switch lose power when I shut off the ignition. That way I don't have a powered cradle exposed to the elements or have my heaters draw down the battery because I forgot to turn them off when I shut down.

OK I used the back of the lighter because it was easy. I just unpluged the plastic connector, stuck the Zumo wires into the female side of the plug and plugged it back together pinching the new wires inside the plastic plug. My only worry now is the fuse is under the fairing making it diffucult to replace if it blows.

I used the back of the cigarette lighter. That ways its switched on with the acc.

Same way as buddy rich and the big advantage i find is when i turn off the bike the zumo 550 asks if i want to continue on batt power. If you ignore it it turns itself off in a few secs. It wouldnt matter when I stop for lunch cause i pop it out of the mount but when I park the bike in my garage I leave it in.

There is a little white plug under the seat by the battery. I checked it with a meter and it is switched power.

Do any of you guys use this for a power supply? If so, did you simply cut the plug or is there something that can be plugged into it?

I would like to use this as a switched power supply to a power panel but thought I'd check with you guys first.

There is a little white plug under the seat by the battery. I checked it with a meter and it is switched power.

Do any of you guys use this for a power supply? If so, did you simply cut the plug or is there something that can be plugged into it?

I would like to use this as a switched power supply to a power panel but thought I'd check with you guys first.

That white plug by the battery is powered by a little 5 amp fuse just like the front power jack (located in the right lower cowling). Probably not suitable for a "power panel". :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Ok, where do I tap into switched power?

I don't really know from back by the battery. The main fuse panel is just under the left cover, so I'd start by pulling the fuses and checking power feed to the contacts first. Unfortunately, I suspect all of those fuses are hot all the time and tie into the switched circuit later down the line. If I wasn't on this little laptop I'd look at the schematic for ya. I know you can tap switched power under the tank - that is not too far away. But you still need to be careful in identifying and selecting the specific circuit you want based on the power load you will ad to it and the risk of what happens when you pop the primary fuse to that circuit.

Here is a better choice - use a standard after-market light relay and trigger it from that white plug - have full battery power supplied to your power panel through the relay. That way you risk nothing on the existing bike. :080402gudl_prv:

That looks like a nice setup. Well, I think I'll use the switched power supply to my auxiliary plug to power my XM player.

I'll use the switched power supply under the seat by the battery to trigger the relay for the driving lights. I hate to have to cut the plug off but I don't see a way to use it any other way unless someone makes a plug for it. Does anyone know what this plug is for?

Guest tx2sturgis
That looks like a nice setup. Well, I think I'll use the switched power supply to my auxiliary plug to power my XM player.

I'll use the switched power supply under the seat by the battery to trigger the relay for the driving lights. I hate to have to cut the plug off but I don't see a way to use it any other way unless someone makes a plug for it. Does anyone know what this plug is for?

I'm guessing, but I think it was originally spec'ed into the wiring harness to connect to the 'phantom' cigarette lighter power plug under the left hand side of the passenger seat. You will see a little rubber plug in that hole, instead of a power socket.

Again, speculating here, but maybe Yamaha saw problems associated with that setup, and decided to remove it.

I just cut the damn thing off and I'm using it to provide a voltage source for my Kisan voltage monitor. It shows me a more realistic voltage of whats in the harness, as opposed to what the battery is showing. There IS a few tenths of a volt difference. Plus, it powers down the monitor when the bike is shut down.

I was wondering about that. This is the plug "cap".

http://buzznet-68.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/marinerfan/default/Wire_plug_003--large-msg-120472057782.jpg

Nice but it doesn't have the male spade pieces to make it work. I guess cutting it off is the only solution unless someone has figured out where to get a functioning plug.