IGNORED

seat

I have been using the search but was not able to get what I was looking for.

Has anyone taken the seat apart and modified it themselves? I have done two seats for other bikes in the past, kind of making room for the tail bone and removing some of the foam to lower the riding position, but since so far this forum has answered any question I might have had, and I would really hate to messed this up, I thought it would be a good idea to get some feedback from some of you who might have attempted to do so.

I took my passenger seat apart, and cut a "V" @ the tailbone, (about 2" deep)then, took a 1/2" to 0" off the top/back. The good lookin' gal that rides on it claimed she felt like she was allways sliding forward. That straightened her rear out!:cool10:

I see that you are a trial member so you wouldn't know, but there is a guy here on the forum who does this mod for just $40.00.....His name is Rick Butler down in Texas. I and a lot of other members have had him do it and are happy with the results.

I also suggest getting a long hair sheep skin to throw on top of your seat. With Rick having done the mod and me buying a sheep skin I can ride ALL day in total comfort.

Here is Rick's info....

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3738&title=butt-butler-seat-mod&cat=25

:080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

By the way pay your $12 to join the group, some of the best money you will ever spend.....Welcome to the forum, I hope you find us helpful.

I had a stock pillow top that was pretty worn, and needed to gain some length for my midget legs so I did it. Carved it up real well, bought some vinyl, and spray adhesive and was able to make it look half decent. First time I tried anything like that, so it can be done. Probably have about $50 into it with staples & staple gun. But probably $100 worth of frustration trying to stretch flat vinyl into a curved seat!

I would definitely send it off and let someone else do it if I were you! I ride mine daily, which is the only reason I didn't send it off to Rick Butler. Recently picked up a used Corbin, but this one isn't one of the deeper cut ones, so now that I have a spare I'll be shipping my original off soon.

pulled the pillowtop off mine, took a gel pad and panned the seat to set the gel pad flush, replaced the foam top with tempur foam and pulled the strings back through and re-stapled with ss staples. Not bad , I made reference marks on the bottom with a silver sharpie, after you fight to get the strings back through you might wish you spent the $40 Butler charges.

Trial Member issue... CORRECTED!! :)

I had heard about Rick... All reviews are great and his turn around is fantastic. That said, I would still have no seat for at least one week. The bike is my daily commuter and with a 35 mls each way I am really not ready to pay the gas for the 15 mpg silverado. If I had a second seat I wouldn't think it twice BUT... I don't so I would probably end up making it weekend project.

Clawed, I have the same complaint from the missus so I'm glad to hear that fixes it. Also since she is vertically challenged, her feet don't reach the boards so I have to find a solution for that too.

Did any of you take any pics of it? specially the strings Dacheedah was referring too?

Trial Member issue... CORRECTED!! :)

I had heard about Rick... All reviews are great and his turn around is fantastic. That said, I would still have no seat for at least one week. The bike is my daily commuter and with a 35 mls each way I am really not ready to pay the gas for the 15 mpg silverado. If I had a second seat I wouldn't think it twice BUT... I don't so I would probably end up making it weekend project.

Clawed, I have the same complaint from the missus so I'm glad to hear that fixes it. Also since she is vertically challenged, her feet don't reach the boards so I have to find a solution for that too.

Did any of you take any pics of it? specially the strings Dacheedah was referring too?

Rick did my seat and I watched him do some of it. The below is a very coarse description of a picasso work of art:

He narrowed the nose and gouged out the tailbone area and covered with 1" memory foam. He narrowed the nose of the pillion as my wife's legs were falling asleep with the edge of the pillion pushing into the blood supply in her thighs.

He used an electric knife ( turkey carving type) and I think I saw a hot wire but can't remember.

My stock RSV seat I thought was the most comfortable motorcycle seat I had ever sat on but I did start squirming around 400 miles in a day. After his magic, I did my IronButt and was embarrassed to claim "iron" since I never felt my tush the whole 21 hours. In digging out the tailbone area it sunk me deeper into the seat and now the back "lip" of the seat actually acts as a backrest, so much so, that I decided I don't need to buy a backrest- and I am a backrest fanatic !

for the pillion - there are adjustable floorboards etc

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/baron-custom-accessories-adjustable-passenger-floorboards/part/BA-7000-00

not specific for RSV but will give you the idea

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/adjustable-passenger-pegs-pair-harley-davidson-electra-road-glide-road-king-07-09/part/KY-4571?source=igodigital

Hope this helps.

VentureFar...

Edited by VentureFar
add info

Juan,

Take Matt's advice and let me fix it for you....for the money....you won't be sorry. :)

Rick

I see that you are a trial member so you wouldn't know, but there is a guy here on the forum who does this mod for just $40.00.....His name is Rick Butler down in Texas. I and a lot of other members have had him do it and are happy with the results.

I also suggest getting a long hair sheep skin to throw on top of your seat. With Rick having done the mod and me buying a sheep skin I can ride ALL day in total comfort.

Here is Rick's info....

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3738&title=butt-butler-seat-mod&cat=25

:080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

By the way pay your $12 to join the group, some of the best money you will ever spend.....Welcome to the forum, I hope you find us helpful.

I agree with Rick. Let him fix it, and you'll never look back. I have gone on 2 long distance trips each one over 1500 miles in a 2 month span after the fix. Not one complaint from my backside. And...you would never know it was modified. I endorse it immensely.

Rick for sure!

• 3 weeks later...

Have you thought about buying a second seat off of Ebay and sending yours to Rick Butler. I bought a mustang seat and it just didn't work for me, so I sent my original to Rick and boy am I a happy camper. Once I got it back I sold the mustang seat and got all but about $15 of my money back. My seat that Rick redid is like sitting on a cloud. It is the best thing that I've done for my bike. I've seen seats on Ebay for $100.00 and even saw a few on Craigslist for $50.00

I think that would be your best bet.

Welcome to the site. I too wanted to have Rick modify my RSTD seats, but did not want to loose any riding time. So I procured a second set of seats and sent them to Rick. Since then I have loaned the spare set out at least once to another member for the same reason. As suggested by another member, buying a second seat is a good option.