IGNORED

Backwards Rim?

I had asked this question on another thread and another member suggested that I should start a new one with my question since it didn't seem to get an answer. So here it goes.

I have been chasing some odd feelings with the bike. Feels like the front end, but could be the rear transmitting through the front. But the other day when I was checking the air in the tires, I noticed something funny. I remove the rim and have the dealer mount and balance the tires and then I reinstall the rim. Well it looks like the dealer mounted the tire backwards on the rim. If you look at the pic, you can see the 2 directional arrows (one on the tire and one on the rim). They are going in different directions. The tire arrow is going in the correct direction which means the rim is going backwards according to the directional arrow on it. Does this make a difference or can the rim go either direction? Or do I need to go back to the dealer and have them remove and remount the tire?

I had asked this question on another thread and another member suggested that I should start a new one with my question since it didn't seem to get an answer. So here it goes.

I have been chasing some odd feelings with the bike. Feels like the front end, but could be the rear transmitting through the front. But the other day when I was checking the air in the tires, I noticed something funny. I remove the rim and have the dealer mount and balance the tires and then I reinstall the rim. Well it looks like the dealer mounted the tire backwards on the rim. If you look at the pic, you can see the 2 directional arrows (one on the tire and one on the rim). They are going in different directions. The tire arrow is going in the correct direction which means the rim is going backwards according to the directional arrow on it. Does this make a difference or can the rim go either direction? Or do I need to go back to the dealer and have them remove and remount the tire?

There would be no need for directional arrows if it didn't matter which way they went. Take back to the dealer and have them mount it the proper way. Arrows are there for a reason weather it makes a difference in your problem or not. Have this done before you put any miles on the tire.

Joe

HMMM.... I never noticed the arrow on the rim, now I gotta go look.

There would be no need for directional arrows if it didn't matter which way they went. Take back to the dealer and have them mount it the proper way. Arrows are there for a reason weather it makes a difference in your problem or not. Have this done before you put any miles on the tire.

Joe

To late. The tire has 1000 miles or so already.

My plan is to call the dealer and be up there first thing in the morning tomorrow.

I too take the wheels into the dealer to mount new tires. Two out of three times they have mounted the front tire backwards according to the arrows. The first time, I had the wheel re-mounted to the bike before I noticed it and had to return to the dealer. The second time I checked before I left the dealer and made him change it immediately.

Mounting tires is the only service that I allow the dealer to perform and they have screwed that up more times than not.

OK, I am wrong. Should have stayed at a Holiday Inn many years ago. I happened to install my last front tire correctly, but I didn't know anything about wheel direction. I have changed 13 to 14 sets on my 02 RSMV over the last 180,*** miles. All done by me personally. Go figure. Never had an issue with the front wheel/tire other than a separated tread on a Metzler ME880.

:farmer:

I always put my bicycle wheels on upside down :backinmyday: never tried that on my motorcycle. What kind of inverter do you use.:stirthepot:

The only time my bicycle wheels were upside down is when I thought I was Evil Knevil and tried jumping off a loading dock :doh: Don't know what I was thinking :Avatars_Gee_George:

I'm sorry but the inverter type is proprietary info and cannot be disclosed in an open forum.

I guess as of right now I would say make sure you mount your tires in the same direction as the rim. The dealer remounted mine and I reinstalled it and went for a short ride. Seems that the rim direction did matter in my case. Seems to ride well again. I will tell better with my round trip commute to work tomorrow. If I find differently and that it didn't help, I will post again.