IGNORED

LED headlight bulb (9003)

frankd

I was doing some research on LED driving lights, and found quite a few different LED headlight bulbs that replace the old Halogen bulbs perfectly (according to them). Has anybody tried any of these?

If you want to see what I'm talking about, do an Ebay search for "LED 9003".

Frank D.

Thats a daytime running light and as suggested on other sights, at the bottom is a note that::12101:

LED fog lights are for cosmetic purposes only, and will not project light in the same way that the factory bulbs do.

Your not going to beat the reliability of a factory system concerning lights. So I would just change out to a more modern bulb as some have suggested, designed for use in this application. I have seen far too many troubles from aftermarket kits and HID systems and gimmicky E bay type bulbs that sell for just enough to make you keep them once you look at the return policy. Kinda like Custom Dynamics, I returned lights never opened and they charged me $50 PLUS the $19 Shipping both ways. SO I paid $69 to get a turn signal kit that would not work, that they said was plug and play, and it cost me that much to return it.

Thats a daytime running light and as suggested on other sights, at the bottom is a note that::12101:

LED fog lights are for cosmetic purposes only, and will not project light in the same way that the factory bulbs do.

Your not going to beat the reliability of a factory system concerning lights. So I would just change out to a more modern bulb as some have suggested, designed for use in this application. I have seen far too many troubles from aftermarket kits and HID systems and gimmicky E bay type bulbs that sell for just enough to make you keep them once you look at the return policy. Kinda like Custom Dynamics, I returned lights never opened and they charged me $50 PLUS the $19 Shipping both ways. SO I paid $69 to get a turn signal kit that would not work, that they said was plug and play, and it cost me that much to return it.

good eye IM, reading the fine print

• 5 months later...

I put a H4 3528 WHITE LED 16 SMD 80W CREE REFLECTOR LENS FOG/DRL HI/LOW LIGHT BULB. It has a low/high beam. I can not recommend it. I was looking for something to match my LED driving lights as my H4 halogen bulb looks very yellow compared to my driving lights.

1) It does have a low/high beam however the blue high beam indicator on the dash instrument panel is always on. The blue indicator light dims when on low beam but it is always on just the same. The LED on low beam is almost useless. Oncoming cars can see it very well but you can't see the road very well without the aid of the driving lights. It also flickers a tiny bit on low beam.

2) High beam is much much better however I am worried it is too bright for oncoming cars. Although it is very bright it does not shine light far enough down the road at higher speed for me. It will light up anything with reflective paint for a long long way but the driving light is not far enough out for me.

I was looking for a whiter light and since I don't drive much at night I will probably keep it as it only uses 24 watts of power and as we all know on these Ventures you need to conserve wherever you can. I was using the Sylvania Ultra H4 9003 bulb because it was suppose to be a whiter light but not compared to the LED's. Someone told me to try a PIAA bulb but they are so many and they are so expensive I did not want to buy one only to be dissatisfied with it after I installed it.

:thumbdown:

Unless you have a specific reason to save power why would you not run the standard bulbs. I run 2 55watt running lights an H4 headlight all the stock running and turn lights, two LED light bars on the rear the bike stereo the CB and my phone plugged in and running a GPS speedometer and a mapping system all at the same time and I have never had a power problem. And no it is not killing my battery as I have had the same battery for almost six years now and while it is wired for it I have never had to put it on a charger.

Unless your running heated gear or some other high drain item I do not see why the concern with saving power.

Ride Happy Ride Safe

1) It does have a low/high beam however the blue high beam indicator on the dash instrument panel is always on. The blue indicator light dims when on low beam but it is always on just the same. The LED on low beam is almost useless. Oncoming cars can see it very well but you can't see the road very well without the aid of the driving lights. It also flickers a tiny bit on low beam.

2) High beam is much much better however I am worried it is too bright for oncoming cars. Although it is very bright it does not shine light far enough down the road at higher speed for me. It will light up anything with reflective paint for a long long way but the driving light is not far enough out for me.

Have you checked the aiming of the headlight?

I have never been able to replace a headlight bulb without having to at least tweak the aiming. some bulbs required very large adjustments.