IGNORED

2nd Gen - K&N filter - won't start

XV1100SE

Cleaned my K&N filter last night, let it dry almost 24hrs, oiled it tonight. Put the filters back in the bike and now the bike won't start.

Thinking because the oil is fresh on the filter it isn't letting enough air thru.

Anyone see this before? How long do I have to wait after putting oil on the filters for it to start?

Hi,

Every vehicle I own has a k&n filter. I will wash the filter, let it dry overnight. I spray it with oil, let it get sticky, then install. Have tried starting the bike without the filters? I have never waited overnight for the oil to set, its usually about an hour. I used these filters for 35 years. Does the bike turn over?:080402gudl_prv:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Went out, put choke on, turned the key, heard the pump clicking, hit the start... and it started.

I had put a Battery Tender on the bike tonight after trying to start it earlier and it showed that it was charging the battery. After our trip I had given the bike a good cleaning and I always run the bike after washing to make sure there is no moisture/condensation in the pipes. The day after washing the bike I also changed the oil so started the bike and let it run for 5 minutes to warm up the oil, changed the oil, then started the bike to make sure the level was okay (only changed oil, not filter). Thinking that these short start/run drained the battery a bit.

I don't think I heard the pump earlier and I believe a low battery will prevent the pump from running. So, once I got the bike started, I turned the fuel petcock off and ran the bike until it died. Put the petcock in the ON position and turned key off/on.... didn't hear the pump. I "bumped" the cover over the pump and it started clicking.

So... the possible reasons for the bike not starting earlier (even though it was turning over) are :

1) battery was too low to crank the pump => don't think it was this because it had enough juice to turn over the bike and eventually start but ran rough

2) too much oil on air filters => "blocked" air flow may have caused rough running

3) fuel pump on its way out => had no problems during our trip or on the weekend when I washed the bike and changed the oil. The pump not "clicking" tonight still bothers me though

The bike is an '09 and I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow to change the front tire (E3 150/80). Was going to see if my left outer/front lower cowling is covered under warranty since the plastic holding the nut for the screw from the inner cowling is broken. May as well test the fuel pump again in a bit and see if it is causing a problem and if it is, will raise that with the dealer as well.

Will update again after another test. I will leave the Battery Tender on overnight to make sure I have a full charge and see if the pump is working properly.

Just went out and turned the key and no clicking from the fuel pump. Bumped the side cover and nothing. Didn't try starting the bike.

It is about 80F outside and humid and wasn't that long ago that I ran the bike. I'll try it again in the morning before I go to work.

The fuel pump does not always click when you turn the key on. It only clicks when it is actually moving fuel. If the bowls on the carbs are all full the pump has no place to send fuel so it will not click.

BUT since you ran a test by draining the bowls, and the pump still did not click till you smacked it, My guess is that you have an intermittent pump. You need to explain the whole thing to the dealer, if you just tell him to check the pump and it is working at the moment, it will not get replaced.

Dropped the bike off at the dealer this morning for the front tire replacement (E3 $179 + $40 install)...and by the time I got there I had some oil dripping from the air intakes. The mechanic commented that I had put too much on. 1st time I've done the filters so will try to get some extra off when I get the bike tonight.

I was thinking for the next time I'd use a pump bottle but hadn't considered how thick it might be.

At the time I didn't think I was putting it on too heavy. Just ran a bead across the pleats with light pressure on the bottle to dispense it.

Would "slightly" too much oil on the K&N do any harm or should I pull the filters and try to soak some up on a cloth?