IGNORED

Test ride, 2014 HD's, a cowpuc special report hahaha

cowpuc

So Tip and I spent the day at the new HD demo's today.. Had a GREAT time..

Of course the first one we rode was the watercooled Ultra.. Keep in mind that this report is kinda biased because I have a charector flaw, I like bikes,, even non 1st gens, even HD's,,, shoot even dirtbikes and quads..

So, I really thought HD did an excellent job on this major update for them leading away from air cooling.. They hid all the components in a non objective way, the circulating pump is electric and is located outside the frame, low and in front of the engine. The hoses leading to the rads are concealed very nicely below the lowers that house the rads, they are then just slightly visible under the forward tank.. Another point I was really curious about was where they were going to discharge the hot air from the rads, there are openings on the outside edge of the lowers that serve as discharges - we road it at highway speeds and town driving and this arrangement worked great at blowing the heat outside of the pocket we ride in.. I was shocked that I really could not see any noticable difference in head shape, they sure look exactly like a stock HD to me.. Also, there is a vent below the wind shield that creates an upward airflow that increases the airfoil affect over the riders head, like having a taller shield without actually having one - I really really really like this!!!! I prefer to cut my shields so I can see over them instead of looking thru them but still have the airflow going just over my head - this has always been difficult riding two up and giving Tip adequate coverage.. This HD design is awesome for this!!

I have owned a number of twin cam HD's (including one with a supercharger) and gotta say,, for some reason (and I assume maybe HD can now run a little leaner/more effecient using water cooling) this watercooled motor pulled real strong, it actually felt more torquey and very lienear in delivery.. I did think the gearing was a little tall in first gear for my liking (like crawling around thru the weeds, loaded up and Tip on the back) but hey,, I am used to the ultimate engined 1st gen which is much more muscle than a 2nd gen can even dream of sooo,, right Yammer Dan??

Braking on this new one was outstanding!! Stock seat was amazingly comfortable - Tippy actually complained about there being to much room between us.. Stereo was weird, I couldnt find the spot to plug in my Willie cassette!!

So, now for the big question, did watercooling the exhaust valve help in that age old hot leg syndrome.. Yea, I think it did,, actually quite a bit.. I also have a hunch that this is only the beginning for HD'S move to the watering hole..

Sure would be neat if they would gear drive their cams now..

Anyway, very very very nice bike there HD!!!

Also spent time on a Switchback (had some really weird vibes going on with this one and it felt like the compensator on the crank was loose or something), V-ROD - WOW, could I have fun owning one of these - talk about a nimble, fast, fat tired fun bike,,,, sheesh.. A "72" Sporty - gotta love that ol sporty feel, needed cams, head work, high comp pistons and a tuner to REALLY be fun.

Real fun day!!!

Puc

Oh yea, on a much more important side note, Tip and I both proudly wore our red St. Judes/Venturerider.org shirts to the HD demo ride.. Proudly answered lots of questions about what its allll about!!!!! Long live Vogel, long live ST. Judes, long live Venturerider!!

Edited by cowpuc