IGNORED

Need a part number

I can't find one... On the 2ndGen's the plenum (airbox) sides are joined together by a center 'T' ... for lack of a technical name..., and the T has a foam air seal between each side connection. I've looked but can't find anything in the parts manual. Anyone have a different source?? Or has anyone used a piece of aftermarket foam and made their own??. I removed the '99's plenum to get to the linkage and the foam had really deteriorated due to oil contamination.

The "T" joint between the two airboxes, the square one on top into which the crankcase breather hose plugs into, is 4XY-14485-00-00. The foam seals come with it, you can't get them separate.

Mine were oil soaked as well, so I took them off (were falling apart anyhow), washed them thoroughly (but carefully so as not to break them), dried them and then re-installed them. Not like new, but not bad either.

I reckon any sheet of foam that you can cut two gaskets from will do.

I had the same problem so I went to the local mom and pop hardware store looking for inspiraton , hoping to find some sort of suitable foam with sticky backing, but what I found was some self-forming graphite valve packing, 3/32" diameter. It worked pretty good it is formable and can be stuffed into the gap very easily. That was a few months ago, I have not had the tank off since to see how well it has faired, but can not image that it would be any wose than the foam that had deteriorated into mush, and it is not giong to stick to the plenum when I want to take it all apart again. A 24" long piece costs abour $2.00.

Try using an "O" ring of the approximate size on each end. That's what I used on the 05 and it worked pretty good keeping it sealed.

I also used a thin piece of sheet metal strip on the top of the two air boxes to keep them together tight. Used the existing cover screws .

Larry

:sign yeah that:

Tanks guys..... I'm glad I'm not alone, and that those dirty Y's engineers have pulled another one.

I think I'll poke around some to see if I can find some foam, and if that fails I'll go the 'o' ring route like Larry suggested.... :thumbsup2:

Jack, I just did mine using a sheet of foam/rubber 1/8th" thick, which I had used to line the inside on my former cassette, now glove box. Just mark off the outline, cut it out and your done. Works great.