IGNORED

could use some advice not M/C related

oldgoat

ok here is what I need from you wonder full people. I own. a 2005 Pontiac gran prix base model with 81000 miles on her. after having a oil change and a transmission gasket and filter replaced the transmission flutters down the highway. by flutter I mean it acts like it is trying to shift in and out of overdrive? only does this with the cruise on? I am thinking speed sensor? but here is what I want advice on. I was thinking of trading it in on a 2004 jeep grand Cherokee it just turned the 100,000 mark. has the 4.0 inline 6 . I know really nothing about that engine or much about jeeps. other then the old cj5 I had as a kid. this jeep has brand new tires, a 6 disk cd player, powers driver seat. all the service records since new. done at the dealer who is selling it. they will toss in a trailer hitch? and install for an extra $50.00 it runs out nice down the highway. and there asking $9400 for it and will give me $4300.00 for trade on my car .i talked them down to accepting my car and $4000 cash and I will buy my own hitch. they said ok :cool10: now what I want is input from any one who has owned this type of jeep.

if I get good vibes from people here I will go get it tonight

many thanks to all of you.

the jeep does come with a 10 day 1000 mile warrenty

Could be the greatest car in the world but that is a lot of miles on that old Jeep. The 4.0 liter in-line six is ok but no power house. Oil leaks, drive belt pulleys, engine wear, water leaks and electronics have all had issues in the past. You would also need to be concerned with the rest of the drive train. And of course the chassis should be looked at. A thorough inspection would be in order before purchasing.

Mike

thanks mike for your reply. I was able to talk to the owner.

she bought it new from the dealer who has it now. car fax report comes out clean no auto repairs. she used it as a soccer mom. mostly highway miles. after the jeep turned 50000 miles she went to a better type oil? recommended by the dealer where she bought it?. the jeep has a service book with all the documents . so lady driven. rear differential greased as well as the front ever 12000 miles? don't know why they has that done? brakes installed looks like every 15000 miles? must be hard on brakes.

new belts and hoses installed in 2011 as well as a valve cover gasket?

new headlight lenses installed due to old ones where faded brand new good year tires done 3 months ago. new floor mats bought? don't know why but they say jeep on them. must have been one of them I need them things for her? the hello kitty steering wheel cover has to go LOL she traded this in on a jeep liberty. so she must like the jeep brand? no rust on this jeep underside looks like it was sprayed with some kind of rubber stuff? steering is tight transmission shifts smooth. 4 wheel works. she said she only used the 4 wheel like maybe 15 times?. I might just go for this.:fingers-crossed-emo

Am on my 4th jeep now, 2-95's, 04 and now a 13, Jeeps have been good for me. One 95 and o4 were the 4.0. I never have had any complaints on the engines in any of them, still have both 95's, kids are driving them, 250k on the 6 and 190k on the V8; bought both with around 140k on them. The 4.0 is a solid engine. The 04 was traded off becuase of computer issues, two engine computers in less than 12 months, and even though the second computer was still under warranty, cost $500 for programming and installation. Wife said she did not trust it any longer, so it got traded. You can expect 18-20 mpg; the 13 does just over 26. I do think the quality went down between the 95 model and the 04. The 95's ride much better than the 04 did. I would not be scared of the miles, it should be good for many more. On my 04, I owned it for 60k, only put brakes in it once.

The 4.0 was a pretty bullit proof unit. Probably why you cant get them anymore. With all the drive shafts and axle shafts make sure the cv and universals dont make sounds. Front cv boots on 4wd are bad about drying out and splitting, any FWD car is for that matter. Sounds like she got 4wd beacaus thats the way it came. Pretty much same resaon my wife has 4wd in her Durango. I sure wouldnt have ordered it that way but at the price we got it for couldnt pass up. If the brakes have been don that often it could just be the way she drove it. Look at the rubber brake pedal pad. Is it all worn off on the left side? some left foot brakers are bad about riding the brakes. I left foot brake and you cant tell by the pedal and I get good milage out of the brakes. I'm a coaster to the stop light though, the wife not so much. Good luck, if the trans fluid looks clean and not rurnt and dont stink to high heaven and the dip stick still looks like metal and not like its been checking carmels in a pot you should be OK.