IGNORED

Fix, or not

I believe in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle, but last week my '88VR (52,000miles) showed evidence of the clutch slave cylinder leaking with fluid dripping from the crankcase that was not oil or coolant. Refilled the master with a very small quantity of fluid to 'top-up' and went for a 100 mile ride with clutch functioning properly. Surprisingly, next morning I checked and there was no wetness or loss of fluid. All surfaces dry. Could this have been a transitory situation, or preliminary evidence that repairs are soon in my future?

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Just went through that with my VMax last summer.

Leaked a bit, then, I totally lost the clutch. Fluid all drained out under the bike.

Cleaned up the slight rust and a bit of water in the slave and installed rebuild kit.

That gunk build up in the hydraulics has a way of plugging itself (temporarily).

I'd rebuild the slave.

Replace, don't rebuild the slave cylinder. Even with honing the cylinder they still don't last long on a rebuild. The replacement cost is not that much...

Order a new cylinder !!! Difference in cost of OEM cylinder and a rebuild kit is not that much, Not worth the trouble of trying to Hone out the old cylinder, Replace It !!!

Also, consider, ordering an OEM Rebuild kit for the master on the handle bar. You will have to re-build it sooner or later.

The amount of money you save with a rebuild kit, is not worth the trouble, get a new one

Slave replacement ain't no big THANG! :178:

Do it & get it over with. I put a write up in the tech library with pix.

It will basically show you what you're facing.

Ditto...just save yourself some time and bend the crap out of the metal wire holder.... and it goes back in a whole lot easier than out...

Order a new cylinder !!! Difference in cost of OEM cylinder and a rebuild kit is not that much, Not worth the trouble of trying to Hone out the old cylinder, Replace It !!!

Also, consider, ordering an OEM Rebuild kit for the master on the handle bar. You will have to re-build it sooner or later.

The amount of money you save with a rebuild kit, is not worth the trouble, get a new one

I agree, I shoulda probably done the whole deal instead of the rebuilt kit on the Max.:confused24: Well, I got some more maintenance stuff to do on the Max soon. Probably install a new slave and master cylinder then.

Ditto...just save yourself some time and bend the crap out of the metal wire holder.... and it goes back in a whole lot easier than out...

When I replaced mine I loosened the bolt that holds the wire bracket in place, dropped it down a couple of inches and the slave came right out.

Man I wish all youse guys were around when I first tackled the salve on my first '83. Lemme just say I do know how to remove the clutch slave, and it doesn't just easily come out after moving the wires to the side. I think you're leading the newbe's astray by making them think it's an easy out. There's actually a trick to getting it out of there, and unless you luck into it...like I did... you might as well pack a lunch, because you're going to be there a while. My :2cents:

I never said "out" was easy. just bending the wire holder made it "easier" . I don't remember being able to take the wire thing "off" , just bent it down. You do have to get it turned just right to drop down, but it's not impossible. Don't want to scare him away... but going back in was pretty easy..

yes it will come out easy .. chinese puzzle of twisting ,,

I would change the fluid all the way

every auto manual made says change brake fliud once a year or 50,000..!!!!

I changed mine ,, cheap fix for longevity

I never said "out" was easy. just bending the wire holder made it "easier" . I don't remember being able to take the wire thing "off" , just bent it down. You do have to get it turned just right to drop down, but it's not impossible. Don't want to scare him away... but going back in was pretty easy..

Yep I bent the clamp and moved the wires out of the way too....

yes it will come out easy .. chinese puzzle of twisting ,,

Hmmm. I've never seen a chinese puzzle that was 'easy'... You are one gifted dude...

[QUO

Hmmm. I've never seen a chinese puzzle that was 'easy'... You are one gifted dude...

EAT LOTS OF CHINESE FOOD HELPS WITH THAT:rotf::rotf:

:sign20: I think getting the slave out is sorta like getting the fortune out of the cookie without braking it...... :whistling:

I think you're leading the newbe's astray by making them think it's an easy out. There's actually a trick to getting it out of there, and unless you luck into it...like I did... you might as well pack a lunch, because you're going to be there a while. My :2cents:

Aw C'mon Condor, it was easy to take out. You have to twist and start dropping it then CURSE EXTENSIVELY & repeat. :rotf:

Seriously, it's a tight fit but it comes out just above where the wires were originally routed. Installing the new one is very easy.

I heard that if you spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express you wake up smart enough to complete a Chinese puzzle AND remove the slave cylinder first try....hey that's what the commercial said......:confused24: