IGNORED

creating routes for gps

RJD

What progam are you all using to create routes and download to your garmin gps. I am thinking I may want to do more of this and don't see the download option in google maps or mapquest.

Little help please!

Bob

You can use Basecamp (Garmin's software) - not sure if you can download Basecamp for free, check Garmins web page. There is also a free download called Tyre that works pretty good. Both take some practice to learn how they work.

Web page for Tyre download is Tyretotravel.com. The free version has ads but it's free.

Edited by venturega

I use Grouprider.com Build and save your trips, copy and use others trips too. Download to computer as a GPX file, then open and transfer to my Garmin with Basecamp. Thousands of trip people have saved and are free to share with you are there.

Tyre seems to work best for me, it's a free (basic only) download. I believe it actually uses Google Earth. The basic version has provided me with all I need in this type of program. I wish there were an iPad version (might be in the works). I've tried several programs and Tyre and the Harley Davidson seem to work best. They all require a bit of a learning curve. Just practice with them.

I have been using TYRE. It will create routes in a format for Garmin or Tom Tom (you didnt tell us which one you were using). To me it is much easier to understand how to work TYRE then the basecamp and mapsource stuff Garmin wants you to use. I used Microsoft Streets and trips for a long time before I got a GPS. But the format it will out put to is not GPX (garmin). If you can use google maps you can pretty much figure out TYRE.

I have used the Harley one for some route ideas. The problem I had with the couple routes that interested me was I had to redo them anyways as the maker of the route was on a Harley Dealer tour I guess. 400+ miles and 3 stops at HD place, and went out of the way to get there. Not all routes are that way I guess.

can you plot several people all headed to the same destination all at once? Just curious if would show where paths cross

I have at several occasions used each of the programs talked about here, and as yet I have not found one that will easily do what you want. Never really thought about such a route plan but i can certainly see where it would be quite handy. If you ever come across one that will, please inform us of it.

With my Garmin I really like Mapsource. It is being replaced with Basecamp but I still like Mapsource better. Might just be that I'm an old fart and don't like change. Anyhow once I got to know how to use it Mapsource plays nice with my GPS and I can create routes very easily. Uploads directly to the Zumo. Updated maps from Garmin can update the unit AND the program at the same time.