IGNORED

Keep my 03 RSV and Vulcan or trade in for 08 Goldwing?? HELP !!!

Barrycuda

OK, here is my story/ question:

yesterday, I go into the dealer for an oil filter and see this maroon GW on the lot. Never ever seen one there and I have been going there a bunch of years. Guy tells me its an '08, has 15000 miles on her, one ownder who traded in for some $10k scooter of some sort. I have been infatuated with GW, for its reliability and reverse gear. And I don't necessarily mind the style. Anyway, it was pouring so we made arrangements to test ride the wing today. I never ever was on one before. (sat on Buddy's ONE TIME in Tennessee). these guys give me the keys, I used the reverse gear,backed up and off I went. Spent better part of 5 hours with her, putting on 250 Florida miles. it rode in the rain, and sun, and on the interstate and crowded, slow roll parking lots. I made U turns and circles. She handled wonderful. Balanced, nimble, agile, she was not top heavy. I lowered the air suspension and was flat foot with L leg and brake on, but not totally flat unless I moved away from backrest. Speakers were amazingly loud. I am a music freak and was unhappy with no aux port installed. dealer said bc of NAV system, has to be hardwired, to avoid conflict with satellite She was nice, OH...I forgot, ABS brakes!!! There visually seemed to me that the trunk and saddlebag space was smaller than RSV and was perplexing considering its supposed to be a touring, long distance ride.

I have a chance to get this wing, but the catch is I will have to trade in BOTH my 03 RSV with 30k and my 2000 vulcan also with 35K for the wing and still owe about 8K. I am back and forth and therefore asking for any and all serious input, because I am not independently wealthy and wish to make the right choice. Is the GW worth more overall in maintenance, value and potential resale than my 2 bikes? My goal is to ride, not worry about breaking down. maybe cut costs overall. the "newness" of the GW and the reverse and ABS is a big thing. is it the biggest?? IDK

The GW has 15,250 miles, Fuel injection, one owner, ABS, reverse, premium sound, NAV system, heated grips and seat ( which do work) in a maroon color

Below is a pros/cons that is MY thinking for first RSV/Vulcan

RSV/Vulcan PROS:

Both Bikes PAID FOR, extra lights, lowering kit (which I need),butler modification to seats, Easy carb Synch, bulletproof motor, relatively low miles ( 30,010), aux port for MP3, 6 disc CD, diamond cut, 2 windshields, AMAZING VR group that has been wonderful, easy RAM mounts and access to XM/GPS, only year my 2 tone color, demonstrated reliability in inclement weather and long distances, great comfy seats, it's unique and modified to my tastes

Cons:

RSV 10 years old,Vulcan 13 yrs.old, no reverse, rear shock leak/cost of replacement cassette, carbuerated, no ABS, top heavy, can drop fairly easy if not careful, increased potential for worn/rusting parts ( ignition, wiring, fuel etc), speakers below average, fuel filter change and potential fuel pump failure, both bikes = double the space, double the maintenance, the insurance, fuel costs. currently needs tires, more moving parts to go wrong, digital fuel gauge which is temperamental and definitely not accurate

GOLDWING PROS:

newer year ( 2008), Premium sound package, Fuel injected, ABS, Reverse gear, adjustable vented windshield, new dunlop E3 F and R, NAV system, heated grips and seat (good for potential selling point down the road), premium sound, one owner bike, not dropped, LOW miles at 15250, newer head lights and bright tail lights, instrument cluster on RPM, fuel which MAY be more reliable than the digital readout on RSV

CONS:

monthly payments, no AUX 3.5mm wiring hook up(needs to get done), no CD player, short brake and shifter pegs, no trunk rack, doesn't look 'cool", no trailer hitch. NAV stinks, and can not use while in motion. needing to add on some GPS and XM, no floorboards

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to be as thorough as I could. I sent in my info for financing and the place is closed until Tuesday, this gives me some time to read, and digest all of your wonderful, realistic input. I will get dirty and fix things,if i have to but I just dont have that much knowledge and confidence on bigger things on the RSV. with the GW, I am unsure of there main issues as well. I am all ears. thanks for your input

decisions like this drive me nuts!!!

Edited by Barrycuda

Seems like a lot to trade plus++. My ridding bud just bought a 02 wing with 45 rounds for 10,800 and that's straight up.I think you can not go wrong with a Gold Wing but I would keep sniffing around and look & ride a bunch more. He now has a 84 Venture for sale in the MPLS area .Best of everything ,Bill & Crew

That's why I LOVE this site. I get the honest truth. Perhaps this bike is not for me at this time. Does ABS make THAT MUCH of a difference? I do like the GW but hate being bent over.

what about this :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOLD-WING-1800-NICE-EXTRAS-FLOORBOARDS-WARRANTY-CLEAN-REVERSE-MORE-/380679252237?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item58a240690d

Have never ridden on a gw, but also have to agree with previous post on two bikes to trade for minimal $$$'s??? Bottom line...you have to be happy with outcome. If you have doubts, probably isn't time like you said.

Sounds like a great bike though.

That's why I LOVE this site. I get the honest truth. Perhaps this bike is not for me at this time. Does ABS make THAT MUCH of a difference? I do like the GW but hate being bent over.

what about this :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOLD-WING-1800-NICE-EXTRAS-FLOORBOARDS-WARRANTY-CLEAN-REVERSE-MORE-/380679252237?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item58a240690d

Great price but it says it's a 2013 then says its a 2012 Color tells me its a "12" and is stripped down, no airbag, no navigations no cb radio not sure about anti locks didn't read all of it. you can buy a brand new one with nothing on it for about $19,000 the place in Union City TN usually has them under $20,000

Great price but it says it's a 2013 then says its a 2012 Color tells me its a "12" and is stripped down, no airbag, no navigations no cb radio not sure about anti locks didn't read all of it. you can buy a brand new one with nothing on it for about $19,000 the place in Union City TN usually has them under $20,000

Rick, the guy did say its a 2012. In order for me to get a wing I have to trade in both bikes. I can't afford a GW otherwise.

After reading some posts, I agree i may be too far apart money wise on this 08

Here is what I found on Kelly Blue Book (www.kbb.com).

2003 Venture; Trade in value = $4825.00, Retail Value = $6995.00

2000 Vulcan; 1500 FI Trade in value = $2010.00 , Retail = $2965.00

Total recomended trade total = $6835.00 for both bikes

Total recommened Retail for both bikes = $9,960.00

The GW is the GL18HPNA model; Trade in value = $13275.00, Retail = $17395.00

The bike Barry is looking at is listed at $16,999.00

The deal is his bikes and $8,000.00 for the GW.

So that means they are allowing $8,999.00 for his trade in, that is only $961.00 off the recomended retail value and $2164.00 over recommended trade in value, not bad in my book.

The GW is only slighty below book retail value ($396.00), not great, but tolerable.

Not sure it is the best deal you can get, but not sure it is the worst you will get either.

If you could swing a grand out of the deal, they up the trade value and lower the sale price each by $500.00, so you walk out oweing $7,000.00 that could be OK.

Much depends on how much you want the GW, also you should check on how much your insurance will go up on the GW, may be less than on two bikes, but I am sure the GWs are high on the insurance tables.

That is my take on it , For What It Is Worth.

Here is what I found on Kelly Blue Book (www.kbb.com).

2003 Venture; Trade in value = $4825.00, Retail Value = $6995.00

2000 Vulcan; 1500 FI Trade in value = $2010.00 , Retail = $2965.00

Total recomended trade total = $6835.00 for both bikes

Total recommened Retail for both bikes = $9,960.00

The GW is the GL18HPNA model; Trade in value = $13275.00, Retail = $17395.00

The bike Barry is looking at is listed at $16,999.00

The deal is his bikes and $8,000.00 for the GW.

So that means they are allowing $8,999.00 for his trade in, that is only $961.00 off the recomended retail value and $2164.00 over recommended trade in value, not bad in my book.

The GW is only slighty below book retail value ($396.00), not great, but tolerable.

Not sure it is the best deal you can get, but not sure it is the worst you will get either.

If you could swing a grand out of the deal, they up the trade value and lower the sale price each by $500.00, so you walk out oweing $7,000.00 that could be OK.

Much depends on how much you want the GW, also you should check on how much your insurance will go up on the GW, may be less than on two bikes, but I am sure the GWs are high on the insurance tables.

That is my take on it , For What It Is Worth.

or you could sell both bikes privately and get the difference between wholesale and retail $1500? or more if you have accessories on the bikes..

I never trade bikes in... It's a good way to get raped...:eek:

I agree about not getting the best deal when you trade, but in this economy and in Florida trying to sell bikes is not that easy, as I said , much depends on how much he wants that GW and how fast he can sell his other bikes. Barry is the only one that can judge what his curent bikes are worth to him and what the GW is worth to him, at the end of the day if he is satisfied with the deal he makes, then he can be happy about that.

Here is my take on this adventure. I have had 3 GW's. 1100, 1200,1500 and ridden several 1800's. For some reason I owned a 1500 Suzuki Boulevard and found a 2008 GW traded in at my local shop. I LOVED the 2008 GW. 30,000Km [25000 miles} .

Made arrangements to test ride the 1800GW but weather here was terrible so I put it off. Finally got a nice fall day and took wife with me. While filling out paperwork to test wing they rolled a brand new RSV [2013} out of the back shop. Just assembled.

I test rode the wing and by the time I got back my wife had fallen in love with the RSV. SAME price as a 5 year old wing. 5 year warranty, BRAND NEW

I am not an impetuous buyer and usually know exactly what I want . In this case the Gold Wing --but Needless to say I bought the RSV.

I went back 3 days later to trade the RSV on the wing and it was gone. I was broken hearted

The RSV does everything that it should although I had to add extra lighting at both front and rear, Handlebar risers, trunk rack

It will probably cost me $4,000.00 to trade and I am wrestling with that. I have met some new Yamaha friends on this site that have made me feel better but just not sure.

After reading your posts, and having some time to digest, I will continue to look unless these guys come a bit closer numbers wise. the '12 GW have bigger luggage compartment, and without ABS is about the same cost. NAV system, by many GW owners isn't pleasing and attach their own. I like the ABS option on a bike. Good thing is I have a reliable RSV here to enjoy if and until something develops. as always, I appreciate all feedback.

They say that patience is a virtue. If you really want a Goldwing, take your time, and don't rush. The deal will come along. I would recommend selling both of your motorcycles for cash, and then using that cash to buy the Goldwing. I don't know if you need your motorcycle for your daily commute, but if you do, then that would make it tougher to do. From reading your posts, I get the feeling you really want a Goldwing. I really love the Goldwing. When I was looking for my motorcycle, I was mainly looking at Harleys. Then I started looking at the foreign bikes. The Goldwing was a little bit more than I wanted to spend. I found my 2009 RSV with just under 6000 miles, with over 2 and 1/2 years left on the warranty for $10,499. They also threw in two helmets with the chatterbox installed. I looked at bikes for several months before I bought mine. I feel like I got a good deal on mine, but I didn't buy the first thing that came along. A lot of times we get in a rush to buy something, because we really want it. But if you take your time, the deal will come along. Good luck.

They say that patience is a virtue. If you really want a Goldwing, take your time, and don't rush. The deal will come along. I would recommend selling both of your motorcycles for cash, and then using that cash to buy the Goldwing. I don't know if you need your motorcycle for your daily commute, but if you do, then that would make it tougher to do. From reading your posts, I get the feeling you really want a Goldwing. I really love the Goldwing. When I was looking for my motorcycle, I was mainly looking at Harleys. Then I started looking at the foreign bikes. The Goldwing was a little bit more than I wanted to spend. I found my 2009 RSV with just under 6000 miles, with over 2 and 1/2 years left on the warranty for $10,499. They also threw in two helmets with the chatterbox installed. I looked at bikes for several months before I bought mine. I feel like I got a good deal on mine, but I didn't buy the first thing that came along. A lot of times we get in a rush to buy something, because we really want it. But if you take your time, the deal will come along. Good luck.

Brian, you are correct about being patient and not jumping on the first deal. Although my last few posts make me seem very impulsive and possible an air head and unorganized, I do not just throw that kind of moolah around, even if I had it under the sofa. It took a few months before landing my RSV, which has done NOTHING to make me stray from her. I do like the ABS, low center of gravity and reverse of the GW. there isn't much NOT to like on the RSV and have learned how to fix things and met amazing people from this site. For ME, perhaps I have not given the RSV enough time ( less than a year) but it has already shown its reliability on long distances with bad weather. wondering if I have given the RSV a fair and sincere shake.

That said, I do not NEED a GW therefore lets see what deal they can do.

Edited by Barrycuda

Guest tx2sturgis

So far everyone has talked about the rolling hardware and the prices, but my question to you is:

What kind of riding do you do now, and what will be different IF you get rid of the RSV and Vulcan...if anything?

Here's why I ask:

If you mostly ride around town, short work commutes, grocery getting, donut runs, cruising to the DQ or Sonic for a milkshake, running to the post office, then why do the trade? The GW will be a bit of overkill and a bit of a burden maybe, for this kind of mission. (In fact the Venture is a bit heavy for that job also)

But if you plan on crossing multiple county lines and state borders all thru the riding season, heading out for a 300 mile ride between lunch and dinner, or to take several trips that stretch over thousands of miles, then the GW would seem to be much more attractive for that kind of riding.

The 'right tool for the job' in other words.

Of course you can use a GW just for riding to the grocery store, and you can tour the country on a 150cc Scooter, but then thats not really the right application for either.

In the end, remember, the only PERFECT motorcycle is the one that you dont own yet.

:happy34:

So far everyone has talked about the rolling hardware and the prices, but my question to you is:

What kind of riding do you do now, and what will be different IF you get rid of the RSV and Vulcan...if anything?

Here's why I ask:

If you mostly ride around town, short work commutes, grocery getting, donut runs, cruising to the DQ or Sonic for a milkshake, running to the post office, then why do the trade? The GW will be a bit of overkill and a bit of a burden maybe, for this kind of mission. (In fact the Venture is a bit heavy for that job also)

But if you plan on crossing multiple county lines and state borders all thru the riding season, heading out for a 300 mile ride between lunch and dinner, or to take several trips that stretch over thousands of miles, then the GW would seem to be much more attractive for that kind of riding.

The 'right tool for the job' in other words.

Of course you can use a GW just for riding to the grocery store, and you can tour the country on a 150cc Scooter, but then thats not really the right application for either.

In the end, remember, the only PERFECT motorcycle is the one that you dont own yet.

:happy34:

Brian I totally hear you and appreciate your input. to answer your question the best I can, the GW would be: To do all of the above mentioned. On days I ride around, its all terrains, highway, country, all weather. I have easily put 120+ miles on a "local" run. I go across state lines in may and make several intrastate trips. Now, with kids, a job that isn't user friendly and such, I simply do not have the time to do cross country treks like others. I am not a "go to the store' rider. I try to hit as much as I can and make my own overnight and weekend trips/routes.

I keep going back and forth. when I ride the GW, I was very impressed. its not perfect but pretty nice from many aspects. Obviously only I can decide whats the best course of action. Other factors include: amount of yearly time to ride, and ride distances, cost of upkeep, ABS, payments again, one bike vs two to upkeep, how are GW holding value and prices? the RSV has more individuality, luggage space and you guys here can practically guide me through any fix. The wife does not care, however bounce back and forth on what else can be done with this money.

I don't think the GW or RSV is a bad chose for running to the store. When was the last time you tried to bring a watermelon back on a Vulcan? With a GW or RSV just open the trunk and through it in. Granted it can not be a huge watermelon.:missingtooth:

Guest tx2sturgis
I don't think the GW or RSV is a bad chose for running to the store. When was the last time you tried to bring a watermelon back on a Vulcan? With a GW or RSV just open the trunk and through it in. Granted it can not be a huge watermelon.:missingtooth:

Do the Watermelon crawwwllll!

And we have a new use for the bikes with trunks!

Seriously, I didnt say they were a 'bad' choice. But some riders only get to ride on Sunday afternoon a couple times per month, and maybe one long trip in the summer. For them, I think a new (or nearly new) GW is a bit much. But then, so is the Venture, but he already owns it.

I think a major motorcycle purchase should be weighed against a realistic sense of what kind of riding you are going to do...especially if the expense is an issue in the family budget.

The GW is a highly specialized type of motorcycle...and I dont mean it wont do other things well, but its designed for long distance, highway riding. And throw in some curvy roads...its good there too. Thats what it excels at.

The Venture, the Victory CC, the Voyager, the ElectraGlides and RoadGlides, are a bit less specialized...able to function a bit better in town, and a tiny bit less highway oriented...but of course you can tour on any of them, or run to the Sonic on Sunday, for a sundae.

We all do lots of different riding...thats the fun part. But the practical part is, if the $20,000 GW is gonna sit in the garage 26 days a month and get ridden 200 miles a month, its just not very smart to buy one.

Just my :2cents:...

I have a 2004 Goldwing with about 15k miles on it, I also have a 2007 RSV midnight. I put about 4 times as many miles on the rsv as the Goldwing each year. I find the Goldwing cramped feeling(love the engine and transmission). I am much more comfortable on the RSV. Better seat more leg room better cruise control and sound system. RSV riders are more friendly Well a lot of them are, I have never had an issue with anybody on this forum, I left the Goldwing forum because of rude arrogant comments when ever any other bikes are mentioned

Long and short I like my RSV better, and the deal offered sounds pretty one sided in the dealers favor

Al

Do the Watermelon crawwwllll!

And we have a new use for the bikes with trunks!

Seriously, I didnt say they were a 'bad' choice. But some riders only get to ride on Sunday afternoon a couple times per month, and maybe one long trip in the summer. For them, I think a new (or nearly new) GW is a bit much. But then, so is the Venture, but he already owns it.

I think a major motorcycle purchase should be weighed against a realistic sense of what kind of riding you are going to do...especially if the expense is an issue in the family budget.

The GW is a highly specialized type of motorcycle...and I dont mean it wont do other things well, but its designed for long distance, highway riding. And throw in some curvy roads...its good there too. Thats what it excels at.

The Venture, the Victory CC, the Voyager, the ElectraGlides and RoadGlides, are a bit less specialized...able to function a bit better in town, and a tiny bit less highway oriented...but of course you can tour on any of them, or run to the Sonic on Sunday, for a sundae.

We all do lots of different riding...thats the fun part. But the practical part is, if the $20,000 GW is gonna sit in the garage 26 days a month and get ridden 200 miles a month, its just not very smart to buy one.

Just my :2cents:...

You are 100% right. I just saw a chance to have a little fun. I agree if you don't ride lot why go that far in debt when you have two good bikes in the garage a d they are paid for. If I remember right the RSV only has 30000 miles on it. At the rate it is accumulating miles it will be another 15 years before it is even broke in :rotfl:

Guest tx2sturgis
If I remember right the RSV only has 30000 miles on it. At the rate it is accumulating miles it will be another 15 years before it is even broke in :rotfl:

Yep...and: reverse and ABS ...are they worth 8 grand and the loss of having two bikes?

I dunno.

Now if he said that 'yeah, money is no object, and I WANT it'...then hey...I'd say go for it.

My Venture is not getting ridden much now, since nearly all of my 'in-town' riding is done on the Ural, but that Venture is my highway bike, its paid for, has about 40,000 miles on it, and I will be riding it till the wheels fall off of it!

:D

Now if he said that 'yeah, money is no object, and I WANT it'...then hey...I'd say go for it.

I agree. If he wanted it and has the money then it would make perfect since to buy it whether it be a GW, a HD or a scooter.

:banana:

You are 100% right. I just saw a chance to have a little fun. I agree if you don't ride lot why go that far in debt when you have two good bikes in the garage a d they are paid for. If I remember right the RSV only has 30000 miles on it. At the rate it is accumulating miles it will be another 15 years before it is even broke in :rotfl:

YamaDuck, Brian and the gang:

after some strong and SANE advice and reasoning, I will NOT trade my bikes and get a GW and make payments. WHAT was I thinking?? You are correct that if the GW isnt being ridden all over the pace its wasting money in the garage. I was drawn in about the allure and greatness of the ABS and reverse etc. but fiscally it makes sense to keep both bikes at the moment, ride them to hell and back, love them, meet more VR people and keep my own identity and personality. WHEW !! I feel like my hypnotic trance is wearing off. I can do so much more with the money and keep my bike as precious as she should be. I have not been fair to my RSV and I am sorry!! :crying::crying::crying::crying:

Please forgive me....

As for those who made time to reply, THANKS for your valuable time in keeping me from making a mistake at this time. I don't know down the road what is in store, but I agree I believe the time is now to ride what I own. :cool10: :thumbsup2: