IGNORED

HJC IS-33 Helmet

Aimhigh

I need to get a new helmet...really wanted to get the Shark Evoline, but cannot find anyone in the area that sells them...so I'm looking at the IS-33. Wondered if anyone uses this helmet and can offer any pros and cons. Thank you.

I have 2 HTC helmets of different models, one is a medium and the other is an XXL. They both fit perfect.

You really need to try them on as opposed to an online purchase.

I do not believe in using a local store as a fitting room for my online purchases. I bought the one I tried on.

Ditto on being sure to try them on. I have one also and after trying on and trying on and trying on at the dealer....I bought one...or I should have said ordered a white one. Dealer didn't have one in stock....only black. Love the helmet, especially the internal sun shield....:322:

I have had helmets that hurt my forehead dead center. I took a small ball bean hammer and tapped the edge of the slightly compressing the Styrofoam. Might try it. Made mine much more comfortable..

HJC helmets are known to fit round heads better than oval heads. I bought a medium sized HJC IS-Max after trying it on the the store. It felt good but after a while there was the same pain in the forehead that you describe. My solution was to take out the liner and remove a very small amount of foam from the helmet foam, about 1/16", in the affected area using a sharp knife to cut parallel lines and then shave or scrape to remove the foam. Had to do it twice to get it right but it worked perfectly. The hardest part was to be certain of where the cuts had to be made.

I wear my helmet 9 hours per day 5 days per week at work and probably a "normal" amount on weekends for trips to the store etc. Don't get to go anywhere fun lately but a ride is a ride even if it is just to work or to get groceries. After 2 years the face shield gear mechanism was getting weak and the liner was getting worn out. Just bought some replacements and it fits and works like it was new. I expect other brands have parts available as well but it's certainly worth checking before deciding on a brand or model of helmet.

Jim, we just bought a couple of these http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/905/36661/ITEM/GMax-GM67-Open-Face-Helmet.aspx and so far like them a lot. I had to cut the foam in the ear pockets for the headset speakers to fit but other than that no issues so far. It comes with a windshield and sun visor but you can only use one or the other. It also has a slide down sun shield. There is a optional chin bar and rear light kit you can also buy for this helmet.

Jim, we just bought a couple of these http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/905/36661/ITEM/GMax-GM67-Open-Face-Helmet.aspx and so far like them a lot. I had to cut the foam in the ear pockets for the headset speakers to fit but other than that no issues so far. It comes with a windshield and sun visor but you can only use one or the other. It also has a slide down sun shield. There is a optional chin bar and rear light kit you can also buy for this helmet.

Gary, the narrative says that there is a pocket for the speakers...why did you have to cut out for them?:think:

Gary, the narrative says that there is a pocket for the speakers...why did you have to cut out for them?:think:

Yes, there are pockets for them but they were way too small for my speakers. I was going to return the helmets but I contacted Sierra Electronics, where I bought them and they told me how to fix it. Time consuming but an easy fix. They sell several brands of helmets and said they have to do it all the time.

It was odd to me that they wouldn't fit in the speaker pockets because on my wife's old GMax they fit without any alterations at all.

I need to get a new helmet...really wanted to get the Shark Evoline, but cannot find anyone in the area that sells them...so I'm looking at the IS-33. Wondered if anyone uses this helmet and can offer any pros and cons. Thank you.

I have that helmet and love it but I have not had a forehead problem. I find it a bit tight on the ears when putting it on but that may just because of the way I put it on.:confused24:

:mytruck1:

I bought the IS-33 this spring. Took the outer shield off for the summer. Love it so far. I may try denting the forehead area in a little. I get a little sore after 2 hours or more, but not that bad.

I did make the speaker pockets a little bigger for the J&M set that come on my 1st Gen, but others may not have to. I also added a quick release for the chin strap. Would have liked to have a silver color, but black will do.:322: