IGNORED

Starter or Starter Clutch - 1986

If you recall - I purchased the St. Jude Venture this past Easter weekend. My son in Austin went over to pick it up and has been riding it ever since. He called me today to inform me the starter sounds like a handful of rocks and it won't start/turn over. My guess is this will be the starter clutch.

Is there anybody in the Austin area that may be able to help? My son, while a decent wrench for a 24 yo, has limited tools in his apartment.

Not really sure what the final solution will be. I see the Dano/Squeeze thread from 2008 as a solution. Also looked at the PCW page and they have a starter clutch replacement.

http://www.pcwracing.net/featured.htm

I know he doesn't have a puller.

Help please

RR

Edited by RedRider

The PCW engage only looks like a beefed up OEM engage. Still using three roller bearings and ball point pen springs.

Look into Danos mod. I'll take 19 prawls over 3 any day.

Mine's like Jeff said.......Flawless.

But what you're describing is spot on for a broken engage clutch.

IMG_0513.jpg

Dano's mod is the way to go, no more problems.

You can do the work with just basic tools, nothing fancy needed except the puller and that's a whole lot cheaper than a mechanic, but buy a good one, it's got to take some stress.

Some of the balancers, come off quite easy, some are little harder and mine took a week to decide to come off. Finally was persuaded to move from it's spot with a 2 lb sledge and a heavy punch to wake it up to the fact.

The real problem here is my son not having the tools. I understand it requires some rather large sockets, a breaker bar, high capacity torque wrench, and a puller.

Was hoping there was someone in the Austin area that might have this stuff along with some expertise/experience in making the Dano mod.

I am going to get the Dano starter clutch upgrade on order today (along with the gaskets and stuff).

Anybody in the Austin area available to help?

RR