IGNORED

CB radio only reaches those I can see

Yes there is an antenna adjustment. It's called SWR (signal wave ratio?) It is simple but requires a SWR meter to do it. Can be bought at Radio Shack or some truck stops. Or there are radio shops that will do it or a small fee

Just purchased a2012 Venture a month ago I have 3000km on it but can not seem to get any distance out of the CB 1km at best 1/3 mile? Think I understand squelch what could be wrong is there antenna adjustment :backinmyday::detective::confused::confused07:

It is fairly common for the antennas to get put on the wrong side when they are being set up by the dealer. Check to make sure the antenna is connected to the black box under the trunk. Then do the SWR tuning.

Yes, the CB antenna should be on the left side of the bike as you sit on it. The cable from the base of that antenna should go into the black box under the trunk.

Also, you say that you THINK you understand the squelch. Just to be sure, the higher number you have it set on, the shorter distance you will likely be able to use it. If you set it to a low number, you will likely be able to hear riders and others further away. The downside is that you will get a lot of reception that you really don't want and it will always be interrupting your music. I keep mine set very high....ofter all the way up to 20 as I really only want to hear transmissions by those that I'm riding with and are very close to me.

You can easily put an amp on it but I personally have never had the need for one.

If someone is only reaching 3 miles, that's not very far. A small 100 watt amp will get you out there quite a bit further than that.

Guest tx2sturgis
Biggest thing is turn down the swr if you are farther away, who u r calling must also do the same.

You mean 'squelch'. Make sure the SQ setting is at a lower number to hear farther away.

And make sure the CB antenna, the one with the loading coil, is on the clutch side of the bike. Same side as the transmit button.

You mean 'squelch'. Make sure the SQ setting is at a lower number to hear farther away.

And make sure the CB antenna, the one with the loading coil, is on the clutch side of the bike. Same side as the transmit button.

Yep, my bad, squelch is what I meant

First I agree with the above posts. Make sure your CB antenna is on the left side. Due to the poor ground plane presented on these bikes the normal range is only one to three miles. Also be sure to keep the mic very close to your mouth.

Squelch is like an adjustable door spring. It controls how strong of a signal it takes to open the receiver door. Just keep in mind that once open all signals weak and strong will come through. You can keep it set up high enough to prevent every little weak or distant signal from disturbing you. It only affects the receiving portion of your CB.

SWR or standing wave ratio is your antenna adjustment. Setting it requires a special meter and cable adapter. The actual adjustment is pretty easy but it does require that you remove the trunk. Since most motorcycle shops will have no idea how to adjust SWR I recommend you remove the trunk and take the bike to a CB radio shop and watch how they do it. It should only take a couple of minutes and then you will know how. But generally SWR never needs to be readjusted unless something gets changed such as the antenna.

Finally there are internal adjustments in the CB unit for power and modulation but they are somewhat difficult. So if all of the above does not solve the issues it mat be time to try a replacement CB unit.

Best of Luck

Mike

Guest tx2sturgis
The actual adjustment is pretty easy but it does require that you remove the trunk.

What?

The SWR can be tested and set without removing the trunk. An adapter is needed to hook up the SWR meter to the cable at the antenna mount.