IGNORED

Weak Battery or Dumb Owner?

I have been tinkering with the bike the last couple of days, cleaning her, adding a 100LED tail light, etc. - without starting it or running it. I have had the power on for some of that time - can't really say how much time - maybe 30 to 40 minutes total. Sometime on ACC, sometimes full ON.

I started her this morning - all was well (maybe a little slow to crank, but I can't be sure - memory is fuzzy at 7am).

Ran for 1-2 minutes, dropped choke to regular idle, then realized I had to move a car to get her out. Shut her off with kill switch, left iginition on - and spent 3 or 4 minutes moving car. When I hit the start again the battery didnt have enough power to crank her - she tried then started clicking. I put the battery tender on her and took the car to work. Battery is new last spring (I was told)

Since I am new to the Royal Star Venture - was this just me pushing the battery beyond reasonable service for such a big bike with lights and radio? How long is reasonable to run the radio in ACC without the engine? How long is too long to run the lights and radio in ON between starting?

Thanks!

I know leaving it on ACC overnight will kill the battery, but don't know about leaving it on with the all the lights on but I would think that it could kill it alot quicker. If it starts and runs fine when you get home I would say that is what hapened.

A lot of that depend on the age and condition of the battery. 1 year, maybe if that's right, and what type of battery. Lead/acid or AGM can make a difference.

Running the headlight and/or radio can produce quite a drain over even a short period of time. I've seen guys run a battery low enough to not start a bike after running the radio for less that 2 hours.

If the bike was slow to crank the first time around then shutting down and trying to start the bike again after only a few minutes of running.... well, that last start dragged the battery down and the few minute running is not enough to bring the battery back up.

More than likely the battery will be fine after a day on the Tender. If it's a servicable L/A check the fluid levels in the cells.

Once you get the bike started you might want to check the charging rate with a voltmeter to make sure that is working properly. Or even another step is have the battery load tested to see the overall heath of the battery. Needed? Not really. But it helps you know if the battery is in good condtion so you trust it.

Worst case, a new battery.... if needed..... DEKA AGMs are the hot ticket for bikes right now. But I doubt if that is going to need to go that way this time.

Let us know how it works out.

Mike

In general, batteries are NOT for powering the bike. That's the job of the alternator. The battery's sole purpose is to power the starter motor, and, provide initial ignition power in the starting process. Once the engine is turning, the alternator begins to power the bike, including the ignition, charge system, and all lights and accessories. Using the battery to power anything other than the starter function depletes the charge for starting.

Small battery...........small charge capacity.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'88VR

Edited by Peder_y2k
spelling...again...must be my laptop

Guest tx2sturgis

Had this been set up as a poll:

Weak Battery: 0

Dumb owner: 5 (including my vote)

:moon:

You know I'm jerking your chain, sir, but yes, you left it on too long powering all the electrical goodies without enough charging time riding it.

Now you know. No harm done.

:happy34:

1. Today would have been the first time riding it to work (between wonky weather and the need to shuttle 2 teenagers - not getting the riding time I'd like...)

2. I had my helmet on long enough this morning that my hair is bad... REALLY bad...:shock3:

Thanks for all the reassurances that I'm most likely just a dumb new owner with a solid bike! :fingers-crossed-emo

Guest tx2sturgis

How long is reasonable to run the radio in ACC without the engine? How long is too long to run the lights and radio in ON between starting?

Thanks!

With a good, fresh battery, I would not run the radio on ACC more than one hour, tops. The idea is to have plenty of battery current available for starting. (if you have other accessories on with the ACC, shorten the time)

Ignition and headlight ON...no more than 10 minutes. Thats just me, and it might go longer but if for some reason you NEED to run the ignition, lights, radio etc with the engine not running, I would suggest you hook up a charger and let IT provide the energy and save that expensive battery.

:cool10:

Push starting these puppies is no fun!:backinmyday: Wife and I had to push start ours a couple of times while on a trip some years ago. "Faster Honey, faster!" She was not amused.:buttkick: Finally made to a dealer in Billings, MT, for a warranty replacement.