IGNORED

Speedometer cable routing

On my 89, the speedometer cable came un-screwed from the speedometer and ended up on the ground. I pulled the left fairing half and put it back on the speedometer, but I realized that I'm not 100% sure if I have it routed correctly. If you look below the headlight, you can see where the front brake hoses are clamped behind a plastic piece. Is the speedometer cable also held behind this piece or is it loose in front of it?

Frank

• 1 year later...

Resurrection time! I've had my speedo cable off and on a couple times working on the instrument cluster/dash/gauges with no probs. But I'm finishing up rebuilding the forks, and now the same routing is catching on the lower pinch bolt blivet when I turn the forks to the left. Never did this before that I noticed. Bike is still off the ground on jacks and catches when near full left turn. There's no bracket, clip, or hole to run it through. Looking at the indent for the cable in the plastic cowling inner panel below the cluster, if the cable sits properly in that indent then it has to run where it is. Only now it catches.

I may have to use a zip tie loosely fastened to hold the cable out of the way. Just bugs me that it never got in the way before. I'll take some pics later, but it's 25 degrees in the garage. In southern Miss that means schools are closed, the interstate is sanded (no salt), all flights are grounded, and the trash don't run.

:sign just kidding::cold:

Resurrection time! I've had my speedo cable off and on a couple times working on the instrument cluster/dash/gauges with no probs. But I'm finishing up rebuilding the forks, and now the same routing is catching on the lower pinch bolt blivet when I turn the forks to the left. Never did this before that I noticed. Bike is still off the ground on jacks and catches when near full left turn. There's no bracket, clip, or hole to run it through. Looking at the indent for the cable in the plastic cowling inner panel below the cluster, if the cable sits properly in that indent then it has to run where it is. Only now it catches.

I may have to use a zip tie loosely fastened to hold the cable out of the way. Just bugs me that it never got in the way before. I'll take some pics later, but it's 25 degrees in the garage. In southern Miss that means schools are closed, the interstate is sanded (no salt), all flights are grounded, and the trash don't run.

:sign just kidding::cold:

If you look at the bottom half of the triple tree, there is a plastic piece on the front with pass through holes. It's a two piece with 2 or 1 screws I think. It routes through there.

So I was a minute late,,,, oh well early bird gets the worm!!