IGNORED

replace gas cap seal?

2nd gen gas cap seal, can it be replaced? I checked partzilla and they only show a part number for a complete cap. Don't know if it comes with a lock and key or can I install my own? Has anyone rebuilt or replaced there gas cap?

I guess no one has ever tried rebuilding a gas cap. I'm trying to figure out why when we returned from MD in Ohio I had about a gallon of water in my gas tank. When we where about 12 miles from home I shifted to the reserve and the bike almost died. Made it to a gas station and filled up. Still wouldn't run until I shifted back to the main. When we got home I drained about 1/2 a gallon of water off of the reserve. the seal on the cap is dried out and has a bunch of small crack's. We ran in heavy rain for about 4 hours on Thursday. Its either that or we got one really bad load of gas somewhere. Ended up draining all the gas out of the tank and cleaned it out with a good dose of heat. gave it a good cleaning. All is good now, but I don't want a repeat in the future.

That's a lot of bad gas to get at just one station. The only bad gas we got for sure while we were in Ohio was from Big Tom while riding in the back seat of buffalo Bodners suv. All though I had a problem with the bike running poorly while we were there last year also. Wonder if it was from that Marathon station down the road from Don's.

Gonna ask a silly question but it may apply. Did you fuel up anywhere while the stations underground tanks were being filled?

From my time in transportation we found most of the "instant" fuel problems the drivers encountered were right after fueling when the stations tanks were being filled from tankers.

The high flow from the fill lines seemed to stir up everything in the tanks and a lot of crap made it's way to the customers tanks. I've seen vehicles stall with a few blocks of where they filled at.

With the higher pickup level on the "Run" side of the petcock you may have been lucky enough to have the water resettle below that point and only had a problem with the "reserve" setting which is almost at the bottom of they tank.

Or if you hadn't been on "reserve" for a while you may have had water building up for a while.

Just thinking about that much water in there...

Mike

That's a lot of bad gas to get at just one station. The only bad gas we got for sure while we were in Ohio was from Big Tom while riding in the back seat of buffalo Bodners suv. All though I had a problem with the bike running poorly while we were there last year also. Wonder if it was from that Marathon station down the road from Don's.

I filled up at the Marathon too and I had no problem. Musta been somewhere else. I run on the reserve setting all the time.

I had a loose gas cap on my 01 that wouldn't seal properly and always leaked fuel vapors. I tried to locate a new seal from dealers, no luck. Finally used proper sized rubber o ring. Still working after 2 years. Rubber still good. :080402gudl_prv:

Phil