IGNORED

I think its the fuel pump...

Last week I went on a ride. And then dropped my bike in the driveway making slow speed manuevers. It sat there over an hour till I could get some help to pick it up. It then sat in the garage a few days before I went out and started it up- the expected amount of hassling before it fired. Then it sat for a week. Yesterday I went out and.....the fuel pump clicked a whole lot. It timed out- so I shut off the key, waited a few seconds and on again- and it clicked to timed out again! After waiting a few seconds I turned on and the clicking began again. I thought oh heck and hit the starter. It cranked a bit and fired- but not healthy. It took 6-8 seconds of sputtering before it caught and ran well. Warmed it a bit and rolled out. I went a couple blocks and it died. Still rolling I clicked the kill switch of and on- and it ran! I then went to the store and made a purchase. And when I tried starting her up again the same thing- the fuel pump timed out. At this time the fuel level was about 90%.

I'm thinking the fuel pump is on its last legs. This post is to put it to you guys. What do y'all think? Or mabey the contacts I read about are dirty?

If it is clicking that much you are not getting fuel to the pump. Pull the line off the fuel pump and see if you are getting any fuel when it clicks. May be a pinched line or fuel filter.

Or as I witnessed this weekend at Don's, the fuel petcock was closed. (Second Gen). Same symptom.

Another thing that might have happened is the fuel overflow cut off may have gotten stuck when you dropped it, and is not allowing the tank to breathe. I think that may be the same thing I'm dealing with. The '07 ran fine until I 'tilted' it coming off the trailer. The engine 'tilt kill' worked, and the fuel didn't spill anywhere. Now it's hard starting and runs like crap. Gotta check that valve. Or take the cap off and see if it runs any better?? I'll also check the fuel pump and install an aftermarket if needed. BTW Goose covers that in his tech article about using replacement parts.

Yes thanks. I've been doing some digging and found the thread with automotive replacements. I did put a few miles on and it ran well enough. I didn't really bang any gears though. I have looked in the tank a couple months ago and it was clean. So I'm not too worried about major crud buildup. Still checking the filter can't hurt. Its the off and on with the kill switch thats the wild card to me. That would cause the pump to cycle wouldn't it?

I've taken the filter off. Blowing into it- there is no resistance at all. In either direction. But it is 22 years old. I'm gonna go to the auto parts store to see about a replacement. But no resistance- is this my problem? I gotta wonder.

If no resistance fuel should be going thru. Is it 22 yrs old? Miles on it?

sent you a pm Larry about that filter i replaced mine with another new one napa 3007 you will need a new pinch hose clamp for the hose coming from the fuel tank

old one will be to big and wont clamp the hose on the filter tight and leak from it

Wonder if its possible that you have fuel up in the tank vent line that is causing enough of a blockage that the tank cant get air.. :confused24: Or if you have some kind of a vapor lock in the fuel pump - pump full of air.. Maybe try taking the vent line off and blowing on it while you turn the key on and off - force some fuel thru the pump to prime it.. I actually lost a pump one time on an 84 and drove it for a quite a ways by hooking a section of fuel line to the vent line and forcing fuel into the carbs by blowing on it.. From that point on I have carried a spare pump with me hahaha

Edited by cowpuc