IGNORED

3 hours to install my new Clearview

1BigDog

Lessons learned I guess. It took me nearly 3 hours to install my new Clearview shield. 2.85 hrs cleaning it and .15 installing it. Why you may ask? I had ordered this shield back in Dec 2011 when they had a half price sale on their blem shields. I received the box and put it away in the garage where it sat until last night. Open the box, take out the tons of packing and place the shield on my table to remove the plastic over wrap. Should pull right off, right? Well it seems that after sitting in a hot/cold box for 1.5 years that plastic wrap will bond to the shield. Only thing that took off the residue was rubbing alcohol and microfiber towels and lots of patience. The stuff was all over the shield. Finally finished it and polished it good with All-Cleer polish and installed it this AM. Looks great now.

This is my second Clearview shield. I bought my first one when they first began making them for the RSV, 2005 maybe? Loved it then but when I took the bike apart before my surgery I noticed that the bolt holes were spider cracking after 6 years and maybe 40k.

Well I was pleasantly surprised to find the newer shield had addressed this issue with plastic spacers including longer bolts and rubber trim for the underside of the longer ends as well as a weatherstrip and redesigned bottom with the shield. Blemish was supposed to be located on the top edge but ill be damned if I could find it. Price then was 150 with the vent. Not bad for a nice shield.

I still have the old one with a vent and if anyone in the area wants it its yours. Just need to pick it up. Bolt holes are not really bad and if it werent for the sale price id most likely still be using it.

Lessons learned I guess. It took me nearly 3 hours to install my new Clearview shield. 2.85 hrs cleaning it and .15 installing it. Why you may ask? I had ordered this shield back in Dec 2011 when they had a half price sale on their blem shields. I received the box and put it away in the garage where it sat until last night. Open the box, take out the tons of packing and place the shield on my table to remove the plastic over wrap. Should pull right off, right? Well it seems that after sitting in a hot/cold box for 1.5 years that plastic wrap will bond to the shield. Only thing that took off the residue was rubbing alcohol and microfiber towels and lots of patience. The stuff was all over the shield. Finally finished it and polished it good with All-Cleer polish and installed it this AM. Looks great now.

This is my second Clearview shield. I bought my first one when they first began making them for the RSV, 2005 maybe? Loved it then but when I took the bike apart before my surgery I noticed that the bolt holes were spider cracking after 6 years and maybe 40k.

Well I was pleasantly surprised to find the newer shield had addressed this issue with plastic spacers including longer bolts and rubber trim for the underside of the longer ends as well as a weatherstrip and redesigned bottom with the shield. Blemish was supposed to be located on the top edge but ill be damned if I could find it. Price then was 150 with the vent. Not bad for a nice shield.

I still have the old one with a vent and if anyone in the area wants it its yours. Just need to pick it up. Bolt holes are not really bad and if it werent for the sale price id most likely still be using it.

I am interested in the old one.

I ordered a Clearview GT25 for '89 VR with grey tint and vent three weeks ago and hoping to get it maybe next week. Then will mount, replace of bunch of bad bolts and a little wiring while apart for it all. Looking forward to getting it on and seeing how I like it. Question, do any of you Rain X your shields if tall enough? Assuming then the rain does not come off and hit you in the face if too short.

I ordered a Clearview GT25 for '89 VR with grey tint and vent three weeks ago and hoping to get it maybe next week. Then will mount, replace of bunch of bad bolts and a little wiring while apart for it all. Looking forward to getting it on and seeing how I like it. Question, do any of you Rain X your shields if tall enough? Assuming then the rain does not come off and hit you in the face if too short.

Before I wrecked my 91 VR in 2012, I installed the Clearview, tinted, vented GT25. I do not think I did the Rain X but did ride in a small bit of rain (not much rain ). Being a fair weather rider the rain only occurred once before I wrecked in June 2012. if my memory serves me right the water dropplets did hit me in the face a few times.

I almost purchased a shield edging that catches the droplets and then the droplets follows the edging to right&left and then down the side of the shield. I do not recall the manufacture but it was pretty expensive by the foot. Some of the advertisement pictures made the bike look nice then some did not. The other thing is that the edging was black and fairly large and it broke the view at the edge.

I saw a member put on chrome car door edging on his 1st gen shield. it actually looked pretty nice. For 1 roll for $10.00 I thought I would try it (enough for 2 shields). Main concern was how it broke up the view, as I was told by the member after you got used to it the view was not an issue.

I really liked the looks of it and the view did not bother me on a 1400 mile trip. I was also told that the edging also helps reduce some of the water dropplets. Well It never rained on me so. But I think the chrome edging really complments the over all looks of the VR. I plan on getting another Clearview, tinted, vented for my 89 VR in the near future and will put the chrome edging on again. I don't have any real good pictures of it, but it you go to my profile and on the right side look for wrecked 91 VR the 1st 4 or 5 pictures looks like I have the edging on. It's kind of hard to tell.