IGNORED

Trip advice beginning next week Arizona,Utah, Colorado, New Mexico

I just changed my spark plugs in preparation for my trip. San Jose, Mono Lake, Las vegas, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, Durango, and Santa Fe area.

Im looking for advice on any additional interesting things to see around my route. My plan is to visit some puebles in New Mexico. This trip is the conclusion of my last years trip that had to be cut short. I also need need camping advice. I have chosen to make this a camp as much as possibe trip. I want to rough it as much as possible..i will do a KOA when i need a little more comfort. Thats if my back can take it. I have good backpacking gear with a good Thermarest mattress to sleep on. My coworkers think that im crazy doing this solo, but i see it as an adventure. Any thoughts or ideas would be great!

If you are going through Las Vegas, I would advise staying a night in one for the Valley of Fire campgrounds, about 30 miles East of Las Vegas, a few miles of I-15 on the way to St George and Cedar City, UT. Another nice option would be the BLM campground in the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, a few miles West of Las Vegas on the way to Blue Diamond, NV. Unfortunately it is closed from 05/28 - 08/30/13, not sure what the reason is. There are really no nice places for dry camping on the way from Las Vegas to Kingman, AZ to get to I40 or RT66, I guess you could spend a night at the shores of Lake Mead, but I am not sure which spots are open for camping, they also started to charge horrendous fees a few years ago.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more details when you firm up your route.

Klaus

Absolute must ride: Take the Million Dollar Highway (Hwy 550) north out of Durango to Montrose. It's a right of passage for serious bikers. You'l want to stop in Silverton, Co, or Ouray, Co for a spell. Out of Montrose, take Hwy 50 east and got to The Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Beautiful!!!. then continue east on Hwy 50 and ride over and past the Blue Mesa Reservoir. Unbelievably stunning! Just past the Reservoir, go south on Hwy 149 and follow it all the way to Hwy 160 (South Fork). Crazy beautiful stuff!. Then, take Hwy 160 west up over the Continental Divide to Pagosa Springs, Co. Then take the stunningly beautiful ride down Hwy 84 into New Mexico, then on to Santa Fe.

Last September my bride and I rode a two weeker in New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and all of that stuff is so beautiful it's spiritual. Each state is beautiful in its own different way.

Just my two cents worth.

Flaming Gorge

Few years back i turned down there, ,,whew it was 99Degreesa. I jumped in the water an my skin turnedd blue,,,,they have standing in grills and the sunset is breathtaking,,,the water is really blue,,the cliffs are red and at sunset allmost looks like water is on fire cause of optic illusions, ,,,,,,

WONT EVER FORGET IT

ONE OF THE FEW TIMES IS WISHED I HAD A CAMERA

lot's of great advice... mostly carry lot's of water. depending on your route, great sand dunes national Park, just north of New Mexico in CO Lots of great rides around Taos, New Mexico, (home to Kit Carson) see the rio grande river / gorge bridge - San Juan mts. Since in/near Vegas - definitely do Valley of Fire . Can also pick up Death Valley.

Messa Verde, & Canyons of the Ancients near Cortez ,CO. Since near Durango, spend some time in San Juan Forrest. Here's a link to a site with the scenic byways in NM. Lots to choose from around Taos & Santa Fe:

http://sangres.com/newmexico/scenic-byways/index.htm#.UbP-tBXD_ct

pa_don

Just rode from Mammoth lakes to Nevada via ca-168. Lots of twistys just to be met by the 100 + Nevaa eat. A cooling vest would have come in handy. Couldn't make it to Utah because of the heat. Instead stopped in Mesquite, Nv. On to Zion and Bryce tomorrow.