IGNORED

Heel toe shift

i was working out some of my other issues when i noticed that my heel toe shifter was working in reverse:rotf::rotf: this really is not funny i know because i think i already know what i have to do to fix.

I took my stator case off to clean and polish, also to replace gasket and seal . I think what i done wrong was put it back together with shift linkage upside down, or is it possible that the external linkage just needs to be flipped?

I am still hard at all the other work you fine people gave me to do:stirthepot:

I will keep you posted cas things progress if i can stop doing things twice.

Again thanks to all for your overwelming response

kurt

I took my stator case off to clean and polish, also to replace gasket and seal . I think what i done wrong was put it back together with shift linkage upside down, or is it possible that the external linkage just needs to be flipped?

kurt

Most likely the external linkage is reversed as, normally the stator case to engine linkage, will not allow the case to bolt up, if reversed.......

Reversed linkage can be, a good way to keep others off your scoot (screws them up, for shifting gears)...........

Reversed linkage can be, a good way to keep others off your scoot (screws them up, for shifting gears)...........

Or a good Way to get very fast a new Engine ... :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Thanks rocket,

I was really hoping that was the case but generally with my luck it would have been internal.

That is a good idea to keep people off of my beloved venture

That "Racing Shift Pattern" is good when riding very fast and there is Need to shift up while being in Incline. Ok, i guess this Idea is a bit corrupted dued to the Floorboards that comes with a standard Heel-Toe Shifter

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Having done the same thing myself last sumer when I rebuilt my clutch slave cylander, I know exactly what you did. The external linkage bar and clamp is on the wrong hemisphere. Not having the Venture handy I can't say which is which, but if it is on the top , put it on the bottom, or vice versa...

Also, youm want it at top or bottom center so that you get equal travel going up and coming down. Stare at your linkage for a while and you will figure it out!

I've got a question. Which pedal is up and which is down. I'm having a heck of a time getting used to the heel/toe on the '91 and wonder if that might be the case here. Right now heel is up and toe is down..... Seems like it should be the other way around???

Well, it's set up exactly the same way on my 89. If you think about it though, with it set up like that, it emulates how you'd shift with the toe shift pedal. You could still shift it with the front one, alone, exactly the same way you'd shift it with just the toe shift.

Well, it's set up exactly the same way on my 89. If you think about it though, with it set up like that, it emulates how you'd shift with the toe shift pedal. You could still shift it with the front one, alone, exactly the same way you'd shift it with just the toe shift.

Thanks...at least I know it's me and not the set up.....I guess I'll have to start educating my heel :-) I've also noticed that the pedals don't extend past the edge of the boards front and back like I've seen other set ups. I end up having to sneak my big foot in under the front pedal. There ain't a whole lotta room. Maybe this set up isn't for me. I'll give it a few more weeks, and if I still can't get used to it, it's off to Ebay....

Mine is exactly the same way. Very close quarters for my foot. Wonder if it's the same kind. The 99's shifter has way more room for my foot.

I, too, have to think about what I'm doing with the heel toe shifter. You do get used to it after awhile. Just be careful to be gentle with shifts as, from what I hear, you can crack the casing by where the shifter shaft goes through the case.

I've got a question. Which pedal is up and which is down. I'm having a heck of a time getting used to the heel/toe on the '91 and wonder if that might be the case here. Right now heel is up and toe is down..... Seems like it should be the other way around???

Heel is up, toe is down. Its meant to be that way so you dont scuff your boots you never put your boot under the shifter. IE.. you would normally put your toe under the shift to shift up to next gear scuffing your toe area. Now the front pad is for the toe to shift down and you step on it and to shift up you step on the rear pad, boot never goes under the shifter. Harley Roadkings and Ultra's have this Plus it's a faster shift once used to it.

Mine is exactly the same way. Very close quarters for my foot. Wonder if it's the same kind. The 99's shifter has way more room for my foot.

I, too, have to think about what I'm doing with the heel toe shifter. You do get used to it after awhile. Just be careful to be gentle with shifts as, from what I hear, you can crack the casing by where the shifter shaft goes through the case.

I wonder if there's a way to swap out the shifters if the 99 shifter has a larger spacing between the pedals??? I can see where the heel/toe is made to keep from marking up one's boots, but with the short span I can't help but hit something when using it.....

I wonder if there's a way to swap out the shifters if the 99 shifter has a larger spacing between the pedals??? I can see where the heel/toe is made to keep from marking up one's boots, but with the short span I can't help but hit something when using it.....

The Harley ones have a nice spacing they came with the bike. The 1st Gen wasnt made for one so I guess they had to space it closer when they made the aftermarket ones.