IGNORED

What rpm should i ride at

Was riding home tonight great night to ride .Noticed when riding in 4th gear at 55 when I got on the throttle in kinda of chugged till I got above 4000 rpm. So I down shifted to 3rd ran smooth at 5000rpm around 55 to 60. Is this ok to at the rpm on a regular basis had a 86 Calvalcade and it didn't seem to care at low rpm. Bought my 83 VR last year and love it only has 26000 miles don't want to damage anything. This a great site you all seam so knowledgable about this bike quickly understanding why you love them

I usually hit 5th when I get on the open road, or open highways. I down shift to 4th for hills, or dicy traffic situations.

In the city, I usually stay in 4th.

You do have to do more shifting with these bikes compared to V-Twins. Just the nature of the beast.

Anything between 3500 to 4500 RPM is fine. Just don't be constantly lugging the engine.

However gear ratio's are NOT, the same from 83 to 93. There were some changes.

Also in the 2nd gen's after, I think 2000 or so, again ratio's were changed.

On my 08, both 4th and 5th gears are Overdrives.

I have found that driveing my 08 is a bit different then the 89 I had for 18 years.

Bottom line, here is simply, " don't lug down the engine " Use the RPM's !! Thats where the power is !!

Yes on what George says. Solo riding, I can easily putz around my flat neighborhood easily at 25mph in 5th gear, and even gradually accelerate without lugging, but if I need power, am prepared to shift down 2 gears, and while the clutch is in for downshifting open the throttle so when the tranny enters 3rd gear the engine is well up in rpm for the clutch to engage the power. I've learned over time to 'feel' where the engine is prone to lugging and stay just above that point. I routinely drive the bike in the highest gear (lowest RPM) for the situation, and in city am usually in 4th most of the time.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88

Anything between 3500 to 4500 RPM is fine. Just don't be constantly lugging the engine.

However gear ratio's are NOT, the same from 83 to 93. There were some changes.

I did not know there any ratio changes from 83/93. There was a change when going to the RSTD in 96 and then again on the Venture after that.

RandyA

Noticed when riding in 4th gear at 55 when I got on the throttle in kinda of chugged till I got above 4000 rpm.

I don't think that it should have "chugged" in fourth at 55 mph. Mine doesn't chug in fifth at 55 mph; wanting to overtake while in fifth at 55, I just twist the throttle and go around as smooth as a turbine. No downshifting and this is with two up.

While these engines like the higher rpms, the First Gens will lug, when in a good state of tune. I frequently stay in fifth while going through a town with 40 mph speed limit and just dial in more throttle at the village limit and have never left fifth. No chugging.

I think you might want to check your carb synch and/or spark plugs. The First Gens will run quite well on three cylinders, (albeit with a slight vibration).

These motors, especially the 83's and 84's, were built for power out the driveshaft! The higher the rpm, the better the "running" ability of them. Gas mileage will actually be better without "lugging" the engine (as you have a lot of unburnt gas doing that) and performance if needed will be available at any time!

You must spend time adjusting yourself to this, experiment to find out exactly where your motor (rpm) is happy cruising at. If your increase in throttle comes very easy without any delay in corresponding rpm/speedometer rising together (easier to watch than feel), then you are becoming knowledgeable about the performance abilties of your powerplant.

Oh yeah, you might want to pick the front wheel up in first and second a few times to see how much is available! If'n I remember right from my 84, best powerband and fuel mileage came between 3800 and 4500 rpm's. This would be shifting up at 4500 and cruising around 3800.

However, if your young neighbor down the street thinks he can beat you (ask Muffinman!), these motors can easily go up to around 7900-8200 rpm's without floating the valves but horsepower starts to flatten out around 65-6900 rpm's. Remember, with the 1200's you've got the early editions of the V-Max motor buried in there! Makes riding a supposed "touring" bike a lot of fun if you want it!

Oh, another bit of advice, on the 83- 85-1/2"s, they had a "soft" split washer on the tranny output over at the middle gear end (left side of motor), it would wear enuff to allow 2nd gear to disengage itself under power input and "slip". There was a recall on this, and if it was done, I know they put a "mark" on the frame or motor somewhere down by the middle gear cover but don't remember exactly where/what it was. Maybe Dingy will jump in here to let you know..... :detective:

If by 'chugging' you mean it feels like it's missing you're probably running on 3 cylinders. Another indication is in 5th gear the bike feels like it's loosing power above 5000rpm. Change the plugs and sync the carbs and you should be good to go again. With my '83 on the slab I used to run right at 4200rpm in 5th. 73mph. And I have taken it up into triple digits a few times... :-)

Just go.t back from Tenn. with 14 guys on everything from vfr, ducati, moto guzzi, . I chased , and lead them on the dragon, moonshine 28, rt 32, etc. some of these curves touch each other and we may run second and third gear at 5500 to 7000 rpm's on the whole road. these bikes can hang with anything if you are not afraid of throwing the wait around.