IGNORED

Changed Clutch Plates, Engine Dies !

I could feel my clutch plates slipping when I twisted hard on the throttle, so I bought Skydocs upgrade kit as well as the replacement discs. It was such a nice snowy day here today, I decided to do the install. Followed the directions to the letter and thought it went pretty well.

I put the bike up on the center stand, started it in neutral and tried shifting into 1st gear (with the wheel off the ground). Well, the engine just died. So, I figured the clutch lever isn't disengaging the pressure plate so I took the cover off again and tried the clutch lever. It's definitely disengaging the pressure plate, the friction discs are loose when engaged.

When removing the old plates, I removed the wire and half disc as well, replacing with skydocs full disc upgrade. I also made sure to align the friction discs with the two punch marks on the outer basket. I then aligned the pressure plate with the punch mark on the inner basket. Just to be sure, I drained and replaced the clutch fluid, though it appears to be functioning normal.

When I had the clutch basket apart, I spun the inner basket to better access & remove the little spacer in deep, would this have thrown the gearing off?

I've obviously done something wrong, anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

D.W.

I put the bike up on the center stand, started it in neutral and tried shifting into 1st gear (with the wheel off the ground). Well, the engine just died

A couple things. Unless a center stand has been added I dont belive the 99-2013 RSV have a center stand.

Most times anytime a bike is on a side or centerstand there is a "neutral safety switch" If the bike is on running, and stand is down if you put in gear it shuts the bike off. This stops anyone from riding off with the sidestand down. Just a shot here as to this being your issue. Put the stand up and drop in gear see if it still dies.

On the first gens there is a washer in the clutch setup, that if you get it in the wrong place, things will not work. I know the second gen is similar but not sure if it's exactly the same. The first thing I would check though, as mentioned, make sure your kick stand is up.

My Bad!:whistling:

I forgot all about the switch in the side stand. Once I lifted it everything ran as it should.

Thanks so much for your help.

D.W.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Glad it was not an expensive fix..........:whistling: