IGNORED

2003 Midnight V Cruise Control/ Holiday Help

blackazz

:sick: My first time on this site and it's for assistance. My cruise control lights all three and then ON but will not engage nor light any longer. Checked fuses just in case another circut but OK. Assume problem in throtle or associated switches. Anyone got a heads up on this and or a diagraham to share for dissassembly. Hate to take to dealer and wait for repair, parts,etc. My number one therapy is my ride time or just knowing "she's" sitting in my heated garage waiting for me to take her out. Thanksgiving is tomorrow and after two days of heavy rain I've got four days of 65 + with sunshine to put lots of "going nowhere miles" on with my buds...

:sick: My first time on this site and it's for assistance. My cruise control lights all three and then ON but will not engage nor light any longer. Checked fuses just in case another circut but OK. Assume problem in throtle or associated switches. Anyone got a heads up on this and or a diagraham to share for dissassembly. Hate to take to dealer and wait for repair, parts,etc. My number one therapy is my ride time or just knowing "she's" sitting in my heated garage waiting for me to take her out. Thanksgiving is tomorrow and after two days of heavy rain I've got four days of 65 + with sunshine to put lots of "going nowhere miles" on with my buds...
Forgot to mention that my cruise control didn't work after my Yamaha dealer put a pair of new Michelin tires on. Any connection here?

Forgot to mention that my cruise control didn't work after my Yamaha dealer put a pair of new Michelin tires on. Any connection here?

Well let me be among the first to say

:welcome1:

You will like it here. Come often and remember we are all friends here!!!

They just put tires on huh? I wonder if they disconnected or broke something with the speed sensor in the rear Diff. Does the speedo work? Other than that its just a little beyond what I can help with. No worries though-- in short order someone will give you the help you need.

The dealer touched it and now something that seems totally unrelated doesn't work. Small wonder. Have the throttle cables been removed for any reason, or the junction box taken apart? If the junction box isn't put back together just right, that could be the cause. I know, a tire change shouldn't require the throttle cables to be taken out, but I've seen some amazing things come out of a dealer's service department.

Thanks for the idea and welcome.The speedo does work but I'm still going to check out your idea tonight. Made me also wonder if my brake light switch might be out of adjustment or a wire off that might be the cause...:detective:

Make sure you check the front brake switch on the lever too. I had a problem with mine sticking there. The lever wasn't returning all the way and holding the brake lights on. I just had to lube the shoulder bolt a little and it was fine.

Hey Ron, Welcome aboard! Some good suggestions so far. Remember that a 2003 (good year, second best color made that year as The Terror will tell ya:rotf:) is still under warranty - especially if the problem happened after the dealer got his hands on it. If you think it's them and don't trust the mechanic(s) it's worth trying another dealer.

Hey Ron, Welcome aboard! Some good suggestions so far. Remember that a 2003 (good year, second best color made that year as The Terror will tell ya:rotf:) is still under warranty - especially if the problem happened after the dealer got his hands on it. If you think it's them and don't trust the mechanic(s) it's worth trying another dealer.

Hey there. Greg is right about it being the second best color but they are all good. I think Stardbog is onto something. It is still under warranty!

While the bike is still under warranty I'd suggest taking at look at what might be a very simple fix. Brake switch, vacuum hose , etc as other suggested. One reason for checking some of the things yourself is you'll become familiar with the various components of the bike so if for some reason you're away from your home area you might be able to fix something yourself. Nothing like having a problem and being at the mercy of a dealer while say on a trip.

If you can't locate the problem then by all means let a qualified mechanic check it out.

Larry