IGNORED

Carb Question?

I have an 85 Venture that has the old overflow leak going for it. I have just recently finished putting it back togeather. I did not take the carbs off though....mostly cosmetic work. I have not yet tried the yammer dan 2/3 seafoam 1/3 gas yet, at the fuel pump, but I think that is next. The only thing to cause over flow is a sticky float right? The bike seems to run OK, but doesn't have the getup and go that it should....it seems to surge under accel and pops/small backfire on decel??? I'm positive its carb/fuel related....ideas...check the oil for gas and all is good, other that the small overflow leak and performance?

thanks,

af226

If fuel is comming out of the overflow/vent tube, then the carb is flooding and introducing excess fuel into the the cylinder it serves, thus creating the symptoms you've described. Best fix the situation as excess fuel can wash lubricant out of the piston rings and accelerate piston/ring/cylinder wear.

Sometimes a light blow with a hammer on a dowel held on the side can unstick the internal float valve, but if not done properly can also damage the carburetor exterior and/or linkage.

Good luck:fingers-crossed-emo

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88

Edited by Peder_y2k
spelling....bad computer

I had a similar issue. I taped the float bowls but continued to have overflow issues.

I read another thread on the site that suggested a short air blast back through the overflow tube to dislodge anything that might have been stuck.

One treatment and never any more problems.

Dave

I’ll have to remember the air blast back thru the overflow tube. But if that does not work this is what I did.

After identifying the overflowing carb, I took the brass bolt off the carb bowl. The brass bolt can be seen as you look down where the air cleaner unit was, and on the side of the bowl.

Hope you have small hands and long fingers. Removing is pretty easy. You might want to put a towel under the bowl to catch the bolt if you happen to drop it.

Now I wanted to spray carb cleaner thru this bolt hole, but the small red extension spray hose that comes with the spray is way too short. Well being that I was also installing some accessories; I was striping some 18 gage wire. Well this wire has a thin clear plastic shield over the rubber colored insulation. Hmmm I thought….

I cut a piece of wire long enough, and then went about trying to pull the rubber colored insulation out from the clear plastic shield. The longer the wire the harder this to do. Once you get it pulling out a ways then the rest is easy. But be careful you do not tear the clear shield. You can actually cut about 1 inch if the shield away from the rubber colored insulation, then start to pull each apart.

Attach the long tube to the spray nozzle, the other end into the nut hole. I then sprayed the inside really good.

Next I took the bare wire, bent it so that I could poke it into the bolt hole and gently lift the float up and down. Then sprayed more cleaner.

Now the tough part. To get the bolt started back in. See the hole on the bowl is slightly curving down, so it is not straight vertical but slanted, making it tough to hold and start the bolt turning.

So I took a single strand of wire and looped it around the bolt shaft near the head. Then Lower the wire.

The wire kept the bolt near the threads so my fingers only needed to focus on turning the bolt and not also hold the bolt in position.

Like I said I hope the blast of air works, for my way takes more time and effort. Wish someone would have suggested the blast of air for me… but on the other hand that bowl is super clean…

Good luck...

Besides the air blast, you can use some carb cleaner. Just drain the bowl, stick the red plastic hose from the carb cleaner into the drain hose just make sure you wrap a small cloth around where the hose and spray tube connect to protect from spray back. Blast the stuff in to the bowl and let drain back out. You can do all 4 carbs with one can.

I strongly suggest following it up with a heavy dose of Seafoam AND techron at the same time. I find 3 ounces of each in a full tank makes a powerful carb cleanup mix if you ride to get the mix into the carbs and let it sit overnight.

Thanks a bunch. I will have to give the air blasts a try. I have had a good mix of seafoam in the tank since I bought the bike but the one carb seems to still be sticking off and on. I hope it works, the last thing I want to do is pull the carbs:fingers-crossed-emo

Thanks a bunch. I will have to give the air blasts a try. I have had a good mix of seafoam in the tank since I bought the bike but the one carb seems to still be sticking off and on. I hope it works, the last thing I want to do is pull the carbs:fingers-crossed-emo

Well before pulling off the carbs try my suggestion posted earlier. You can also call me. Much easier than pulling the carbs.

when blowing air use little burst and blow down through the jet also and back through the overflow it worked for mine then did the seaform and techron havent had any more trouble with it sticking