IGNORED

In regards to refurbing a TCI box

Is there such a part number list of diodes and components for a TCI ignition box, has anyone tried to refurbish one? I have a friend with enough knowledge and the proper tools to do the job. He's an electro mechanical engenner and bike mechanic as well and he wants to try to fix my box. How could I find this info, any ideas???

The two holes in the case let condensation in so many find some corrosion and junk that needs cleaned up.

The output power transistors are still available, they are protected by reverse spike damping diodes... the early ones were glass (blue and gray) and had a nasty habit of going bad after only a bit over 20 years... there are 8 and should be replaced by ones out of the 1N4001 series. If the diode goes bad, the reverse voltage from the ignition coil typically takes out the power transistor but it too can be replaced if it didn't short to B+ and take out the micro-controller feeding it.... if it did you are looking at a total replace...

If you do replace anything, please insure that you get some fresh conformal coating over the pads to keep corrosion at bay.

You can see the glass diodes here, two for each of the four power transistors on the right...

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/tci/tci2.jpg

IS it just me? Or does that look like one, bad cap, nasty ass circuit board. I sure hope mine don't look like that...lol, But I know is does:Avatars_Gee_George: I had water shooting up thru the air vents, one day. That didn't help, So far bike runs well.

IS it just me? Or does that look like one, bad cap, nasty ass circuit board. I sure hope mine don't look like that...lol, But I know is does:Avatars_Gee_George: I had water shooting up thru the air vents, one day. That didn't help, So far bike runs well.

Actually that one looks good.

Few closeup pictures of corroded diodes attached.

You can use any 1N4000 series diode, 1N4000, 1N4001, ... 1N4007. Higher number indicates reverse voltage rating. All will work with 12V circuit.

Gary

76181.jpg 76182.jpg 76184.jpg

Edited by Freebird

That is probably one of the better looking TCI's that I have seen. Most look much worse than this, even good working ones.

RandyA

So are the blue & grey thingys (circled in red) what are replaced with the 1N4000 series diodes? So how does my circuit board look?

-Andrew

YES

Your board looks very clean.

My board looked like that when I checked also. I replaced them anyhow since if any one of the 8 fails, the TCI is toast. AND they are 20 some years old and known to die.

Save the pics to be sure that you put the new ones in the right way.

The new diodes will most likely be a black cylindrical body with a silver band at one end, the silver band goes on the same side as the blue end of the old ones.

• 1 month later...

regarding TCI. I got the Ignitech thanks to the effort of one of our member and I'm very pleased with the way things played out. I can not thank you enough to everyone that took the time to post and give their two cents. After getting the new TCI I still had no spark. It took me a good three days of reading many post regarding bikes no starting and come to find out that somehow some of the safety relays were at fault and the bike could not start.

Thank you again for being so open to help this newbie.

PS. I saw a couple of ventures 1st generation at NH bike week, too bad I was walking while the bikes were moving, so I could chat with those two fellows. Any one in New Hampshire boys?

I know many of you guys are way south from me.

Thank you again guys!!!!!!

• 3 years later...

so my bike ran but backfired whenever i gave it gas but ran good at idle so i saw this opened my box and most the diodes were just posts if it was running still does that mean my box was still working and replacing them should fix the situation or since they were gone does that mean my box is shot and i shouldnt try