IGNORED

Handle Bar Help !

Hello All I have a 83 Venture 1200 standard. The handlebars are to swept back for my liking due to a bad shoulder joint in my arm. I checked the manual and saw that there are two

adjustments to move the handle bars back. I took off the plastic cover and low and behold, the handle bars are a one piece unit. What I need to do is figure out if there are handle bars out there that I can use to give my hands a straight mount. Like drag bars, this seems to take the

pressure off my arm nerve by having my hand straight out.

Any ideas ? I would hate to have to sell it, because at this point after 50 miles it is getting

painful to ride. Even taking Aleave pain pills does not help.

Thanks

Tom O'Neil

Hamilton Mass

Well, I looked again. I need to get a better pair of glasses or something. They are standard bars. Anyone know what size socket is required to remove the two main stopper nuts ?

Thanks

Hello All I have a 83 Venture 1200 standard. The handlebars are to swept back for my liking due to a bad shoulder joint in my arm. I checked the manual and saw that there are two

adjustments to move the handle bars back. I took off the plastic cover and low and behold, the handle bars are a one piece unit. What I need to do is figure out if there are handle bars out there that I can use to give my hands a straight mount. Like drag bars, this seems to take the

pressure off my arm nerve by having my hand straight out.

Any ideas ? I would hate to have to sell it, because at this point after 50 miles it is getting

painful to ride. Even taking Aleave pain pills does not help.

Thanks

Tom O'Neil

Hamilton Mass

Well, I looked again. I need to get a better pair of glasses or something. They are standard bars. Anyone know what size socket is required to remove the two main stopper nuts ?

Thanks

To remove the handlebars you need a 12mm to release the crimp bolt, if memory serves me right. To remove the large nut holding them down is 1 1/8" socket.

The midpoint nut is a 17mm.

Dave

Now take a look at the tops of the risers where the controls mount onto them. You'll see a nut inside and there are two pinch bolts on each riser. Remove the nut, loosen the pinch and then you can slide the controls out to rotate them.

Look at the connection point as there are small pins there that limit the rotation. They have to fit back in the groves to seat properly.

Between the two adjustment points you should get them where you want them.

Watch out for windscreen clearance and cable binding. You can smack it if you go too far.

Mike

Thanks Everyone ! If this does not work then I will find someone clever who can come up

with a way to either make handle bars fit or cook up something from scratch.

There is no way I am going to get rid of this bike. It is just to much fun to ride and it is just about bullet proof !

Tom

I purchased the Venture last October. I was riding a 93 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 cruiser but the

handlebars shook a lot and it was only a 4 speed. On the highway I was always looking for another gear, so it was no fun to ride and time for it to go. The Venture was everything I was looking for. Even the radio worked. 2nd gear works fine. Fixed a few wiring gremlins and so far so good. Over the winter I bought a 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600 sport bike. I know what your thinking but it was a good deal with only 3400 miles. I wanted something to ride in the hot weather and is easy to ride around in Boston traffic on the weekends. I added a pair of Nelson Rigg sport bike saddle bags and having those attached is about the same as flying a flag that says: I am not a punk kid looking to race ! Even the Harley guys wave now.

My wife thinks I am nuts, but I am 54 years old and I am going to stretch out my mid life crisis excuse for as long as I can. Its been six years and it still works !

Hey Tom,

Just crossed my mind on the position you are looking for on your handlebars.

There was somebody here a while back that actually swapped the risers from side to side to get a more extreme change in the control positions.

I don't remember how it worked out for clearances but it's something to look at if you don't like the other adjustments.

There is always a way around a problem.

Winston 66 From down under in Australia, Says.

Hello TIP 650.

I do hope that you get your handle bar problem sorted I know how you feel as I also have a problem with arthrithris affecting my thumbs.

Now as far as the mid life crisis goes, I recently turned 69 and mine has lasted for the last 22 years, that is since I managed to give the ball and chain away.

I guess that I was lucky in that eventually omeone else came along that she was able to dominate more than me.

The only problem that I had was that it managed to get all of my precious stuff at the time , so I had to start all over again , but I don't have any regrets.

Chees to all.

Winston66, Australia :cool10: :fingers-crossed-emo