IGNORED

pulsating headlight

jaymacdoo

Just be wary that many local law enforcement types consider a modulating headlight to be 'flashing', which is unlawful in many states, including mine. If they want to, they can issue a citation, and even if you succeed in convincing the judge, you get the privelege of paying court fees tha can be around $75-$100, and then have it happen all over again in the next county!!!

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88

Show a copy of that to the judge, and the citation will be dismissed. You still get to pay the court fees. Justice is NOT free.

Be aware, and be aware that courts are strapped for money, especially in rural areas.:225:

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88

I attached the documentation for the one I have.

It is a little harder than a plug and play harness for the 1st gen bikes, not sure about 2nd gens.

There are about half a dozen specific wires you need to locate and then tap into. The light sensor needs to be mounted in a somewhat specific orientation, downward towards road surface. All of this is in directions. I can help with schematics of bikes wiring harness on locating specific wires.

The Diamond Star unit I have has a feature that allows it to be turned off if desired. If I am riding in a group and not in lead I will deactivate it so as not to be a distraction to riders ahead of me. It will reset to flashing mode when key is turned off, then restarted automatically. Or you can turn it back on manually at any time be quickly cycleing hi low switch.

I am firmly convinced that this makes motorists see the bike and realize its there. I know there are riders among us that do not like them. It is an individuals choice. A comment I have heard often is that traffic will mistake it for an emergency vehicle & pull over. I am sure this is an annoyance when they see it is not an emergency vehicle. But in the 3 years I think I have had it, I have only seen one car pull over and I am not sure it wasn't for another reason.

The saying that Loud Pipes Save Lives is a motto many bikers seem to live by. The modulator is far and away a better device to be noticed by traffic than loud pipes will ever be.

Gary

Edited by dingy

I rode 70,000 miles in all western states in the last 10 years with my headlight modulating. NOT "flashing" and never an issue.

If you are concerned about getting stopped be proactive.

Go to a hi way patrol office and have a watch commander give you his card to call him if you get stopped so he can tell the nice officer he is dead wrong.

But do turn it off - switch to low beam if you are in the middle of a group ride. You can really annoy your friends or not, and really annoy your friends :rotf:

VentureFar...

Just noticed you are in Canada. I called the NA RCMP and they were gray about it but

Said to call DMV.

Went to kisan web site and this is listed - serious legal talk except Kisan will guarantee they meet this. Call them and by a kisan.

The s794 comes from

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-mvstm_tsd-tsd-1080rev4_e-688.htm#_Toc%20S7.9

CANADA - Canada Transport:

FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems in all Provinces provided they comply with the standards set forth in Section S7.9.4.

And this is a 7.9.4. - yes I know - get a life.

But I really believe in the modulator.

S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:

(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 ± 40 cycles per minute.

(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.

© The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.

(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.

(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.

(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 degrees Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.

(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than 0.45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of this TSD the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.

(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.

I rode 70,000 miles in all western states in the last 10 years with my headlight modulating. NOT "flashing" and never an issue.

If you are concerned about getting stopped be proactive.

Go to a hi way patrol office and have a watch commander give you his card to call him if you get stopped so he can tell the nice officer he is dead wrong.

But do turn it off - switch to low beam if you are in the middle of a group ride. You can really annoy your friends or not, and really annoy your friends :rotf:

VentureFar...

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: