IGNORED

Zumo Cradle Problems

Midrsv

Is anyone having any trouble with their Zumo motorcycle cradle. Last summer I started having trouble with a lot of noise during phone calls. Mainly the noise was with the party on the other end of the call. They were picking up a lot of noise as I would accelerate. By accident I found that if I wiggled the mic cable at the cradle connector I could influence the noise. Make it better or worse. The problem continued after I changed bikes. I checked the mic jack and it seemed fine. So I concluded that the connector in the cradle must be bad. I called Garmin with a warranty claim and they sent me a new cradle. I installed it today and everything is fine again.

I researched this a bit on www.zumoforums.com and I found several complaints about the connectors on the cradle. Mainly dealing with the 3.5mm audio out connection. Garmin was good about replacing the cradle. I just worry now about what happens after warranty. This may be a weak design point.

Dennis

I've had mine on the bike for about 1/2 of a season with no problems. The phone sounds better than the hand-free setup in my truck.

I hope this continues. Thanks for the info. If I start having problems, you have provided a place to start looking for solutions.

RR

I haven't had any issues at all. I have the audio cable connected to a tape addapter so I have the MP3 capability. My phone is blue toothed. I do have a friend that had an issue with water after a particularly bad rain. Garmin was great to him as well. They sent a new cradle with no problem. His was cutting off. So far I've been blesses I guess regardless of weather.

I had a problem with noise and water. Came from the mic connection on the cradle after it got pretty wet (I washed the bike and forgot to unplug and cover the holes in the cradle). I let it dry a couple of days and all was fine. I then coated the top half of the mic pin with dielectric grease (hoping to get a moisture seal) and plugged it back in. So far, no more problems... but I haven't washed the bike with the mic plugged in either!

• 2 years later...

Fyi

Last summer we toured Vermont. Rain, we got caught several times, cats & dogs. Anyway, my xm stopped working and the unit stopped charging. To make a long story short the connection to the mother board shorted out in the cradle. Water around the pins, I assumed? I called gps city at 5 pm and I recieved a new one by 11 the next morning. So i now take the ice bucket bags they give you in hotel rooms and put it over the whole unit/cradle when caught in the rain.

Only problem I've ever had. Love my zumo.

Mark

I'm glad this issue resurfaced because I am now starting to have trouble with engine noise thru the microphone when using the phone (and CB). Haven't isolated it yet (haven't started trying yet), but it sounds like this may be it.

RR

Fyi

Last summer we toured Vermont. Rain, we got caught several times, cats & dogs. Anyway, my xm stopped working and the unit stopped charging. To make a long story short the connection to the mother board shorted out in the cradle. Water around the pins, I assumed? I called gps city at 5 pm and I recieved a new one by 11 the next morning. So i now take the ice bucket bags they give you in hotel rooms and put it over the whole unit/cradle when caught in the rain.

Only problem I've ever had. Love my zumo.

Mark

I been putting baggies over my Zumo for the last two years, no issues yet. Most of the guys laugh at my waterproof system that cost a couple of cents. Use a removable zip tie with the bags.

Oh, yesterday coming home, I95 was so bad it bounced my hockey puck XM receiver, if not for the 2 cent bag covering the setup, would have dropped onto the tank or worse broke wires and gone on down the interstate without me.:whistling:

I been putting baggies over my Zumo for the last two years, no issues yet. Most of the guys laugh at my waterproof system that cost a couple of cents. Use a removable zip tie with the bags.

Oh, yesterday coming home, I95 was so bad it bounced my hockey puck XM receiver, if not for the 2 cent bag covering the setup, would have dropped onto the tank or worse broke wires and gone on down the interstate without me.:whistling:

Its cheap insurance to be sure. If your whole vacation is planned before hand on the gps, to lose it makes things interesting. The battery in the zumo doesn't last long. Maps on the side of the road sucks big time.

Mark

Its cheap insurance to be sure. If your whole vacation is planned before hand on the gps, to lose it makes things interesting. The battery in the zumo doesn't last long. Maps on the side of the road sucks big time.

Mark

I have been caught in heavy rain and not had any issues with my Zumo.. I also always have a set of Mad Maps in the trunk for the area I'm riding in, and usually have printed directions for most places I plan to go, that I made from MapQuest before leaving, in my tank bag.

I have never unplugged my mic to wash the craddle nor did I ever cover it in the rain. I have had it for 3 summers and no problems. I recoat with dielectric greas anually though.

When I had the problem and realized it was the craddle. I took it apart in my hotel room. Most of the openings are water proof, they are encased in apoxy, except the xm connection, if I remember right? I did see a slight discoloring on two pins that were side by side, one being the power. The ribbon connected on the inside too the pins was melted at those pins. I just assumed it was from water causing a short between the pins. Or it could be water getting in the craddle from the xm connection, though mine was dry inside.

Mark

The only time that I had a bit of trouble with my Zumo is when I washed it at the car wash. Seems I would loose one side of the speaker sound from time to time. I pulled the plugs and greased them and everything was good again. Now I put a bag over it when I wash the bike.