IGNORED

12 volt plug in

tdcisme

I just bought an 07 venture, I am absolutely in love with it. However, I cant find either of the 12 volt plugs. According to the manual, I should have two. I feel kinda stupid, but i cant find either, please help!

The front one is low on the fairing on the left side. Get off the bike and squat down to find it the first time. The rear is under the seat near the left side. But it is not a cigar lighter type plug. It is a white two wire connector that does not have the pins in it.

Mike

Note: You can order pins and plugs from Eager Beaver but they come in bulk. Might be an idea for a group purchase.

I also have an 07 RSV and even with guidance I had a hard time finding the rear connector.

Mine is factory zip tied to the frame on the kickstand side of the battery box in the back corner ( would that be driver's left ? or the right side of the bike when facing it or simply put directly under my left butt cheek.

It looks like two narrow white cigarettes glued together. - not a regular cigarette lighter adapter.

It is switched. That is where I got the switched power for my "passing lamps" AKA 650 foot flame throwers from visionxwholesale.com

VentureFar...

• 2 months later...

I feel pretty good I found everything in two days, Freebird helped me so I guess I cheated. The plug under the seat, I think I might hook a relay to it and use it as a trip for some real power for something, Maybe a Blender so I can mix drinks while I listen to old cassettes.

When I bought my 2004 RSV in 2007, it came with ALL the original bits and pieces including the owners' manual. Funny thing that. Like most stuff I buy, even if I think I'm even half familiar with it, I sit and read the manual. That's why they provide the bl00dy things so you can become familiar with the product. Sheesh. Imagine the nightmare I had when I bought my VW Tiguan. The manual with that is like something for the space shuttle - but I read it - and cannot believe some of the technology they crammed into that vehicle. I love it.

When I bought my 2004 RSV in 2007, it came with ALL the original bits and pieces including the owners' manual. Funny thing that. Like most stuff I buy, even if I think I'm even half familiar with it, I sit and read the manual. That's why they provide the bl00dy things so you can become familiar with the product. Sheesh. Imagine the nightmare I had when I bought my VW Tiguan. The manual with that is like something for the space shuttle - but I read it - and cannot believe some of the technology they crammed into that vehicle. I love it.

Isn't that cheating? Reading the Manual that is. :Avatars_Gee_George:

I went to cycle gear and bought a 12 volt outlet for $10 and with just a little enlargment it fit in the hole in the plastic cover on the left side cut the little white connector off and used it to power a relay so I could use the plug for a compressor.

I went to cycle gear and bought a 12 volt outlet for $10 and with just a little enlargment it fit in the hole in the plastic cover on the left side cut the little white connector off and used it to power a relay so I could use the plug for a compressor.

Please post photo of your mounting.

Thanks

VentureFar...

Ah Ha!

I just couldn't believe folks were cutting holes in their side covers for a power outlet. So I would go look at mine over and over and not see a factory cutout. So just now I started to take off the side cover to see if it had a detent on the inside and that is when I noticed the hole in the "filler" BEHIND the left side cover.

NICE!!!

Thanks Joe!

Exactly what I needed.

I was all set to go this route when I noticed the compact air compressor at cyclegear.

Anyone, would you feel comfortable plugging in the cyclegear pump into your battery tender pigtail?

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Tires/Tire-Accessories/Tubes/brand/DOUBLE-TOUGH/Compact-Portable-Mini-Air-Compressor/p/43135_00000

Thanks

VentureFar...

if you are using that plug for power you should have a fuse on it for the wire size. I will say most small saddlebag air compressors have small gauge wire and should not cause a problem, on the other side it will take a bit for a fill.

Thanks Joe!

Exactly what I needed.

I was all set to go this route when I noticed the compact air compressor at cyclegear.

Anyone, would you feel comfortable plugging in the cyclegear pump into your battery tender pigtail?

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Tires/Tire-Accessories/Tubes/brand/DOUBLE-TOUGH/Compact-Portable-Mini-Air-Compressor/p/43135_00000

Thanks

VentureFar...

Since it goes through a 30 amp relay to the battery I would.

I know several people have cut the cigarette lighter plug off the compressor and replaced it with one that plugs into the battery tender wire that goes straight to the battery also.

Either way make sure you are at least idling the compressor will pull a battery down fast.

I bought one of those three way 12V outlets with a USB outlet incorporated, and mounted it to the top of my front brake hydraulic reservoir with double-sided tape. Wrapped the lead around my bars and across to the 12V outlet in the fairing. I power my Garmin SatNav and CrashCam from the three way. Could use the USB for either of them but just doesn't pump out enough juice I'm afraid.

:mytruck1:

Thanks Joe!

Exactly what I needed.

Thanks

VentureFar...

Just picked up this compressor and will try it tonight

I will take the seat off and run it for about 10 min-bike idling - and feel the wire to assure myself I won't burn it up.

I will report.

VentureFar...

Bought the cyclegear pump and tried it tonight. It says that it pumps to 80 pounds and my rear Metz 880 is 50. I checked it at 47 and started the pump plugged into the charger pigtail. It ran for 10 minutes and when I took it off it had lost 8 pounds to 39. It simply couldn't do 50. So back it goes to cyclegear.

I have a slim mini pump and hooked it up using a female Cigarette lighter adapter to the charger pigtail and it ran the pressure from 39 right up to 50 quicker than I expected.

so the cyclegear works if you only need 35-39 pounds. If you need over that I don't suggest you buy the cyclegear.- couldn't handle over 39 for me on my Gen 2.

VentureFar...