IGNORED

Key Blanks

wideopenrod

Just ordered a couple of these blanks for my 2001 RSV:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blank-Key-Uncut-Blade-for-YAMAHA-Star-xv1700-XV1900-DS1100-XV1700-XVS1100-C404-/221176433331?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337f248ab3&vxp=mtr

They look pretty snazzzy, and I only received one key from PO when I bought it.

What ya think, they have blue and red ones listed as well. I'll let ya know when they get in from across the big pond and I get them cut.

Rod

I hope the blanks fit your bike. There's about 7 configurations of the key blank for 1stGens. Not sure if it holds true for 2nd's. The eBay key blank does look like my '07, but my OEM key on the '99 is totally different. When you ordered did they ask what year the blank was for?? If not there could possibly be a problem. Also the Chinese are masters at copying. The OEM blanks are brass, but these look to be pot metal and they will break off with too much applied pressure. You don't want to fish a tip out of your ignition switch... :2cents:

Edited by Condor

I went to my local Ace Hardware and asked. They cut me 2 keys and out the door for $4.95. I was amazed! Both keys work too!

Do you by any chance have the key blank number for ace hdwre?

I went to my local one- they didn't have mine so they ordered two and got the wrong keys in.

Thanks

VentureFar...

I hope the blanks fit your bike. There's about 7 configurations of the blank for 1stGens. Not sure if it holds true for 2nd's. The eBay key blank does look like my '07' date=' but my OEM key on the '99 is totally different. When you ordered did they ask what year the blank was for?? If not there could possibly be a problem. Also the Chinese are masters at copying. The OEM blanks are brass, but these look to be pot metal and they will break off with too much applied pressure. You don't want to fish a tip out of your ignition switch... :2cents:[/quote']

I reckon I will find out for sure when they come in.I'll let you know if they fit my 01 RSV and if they are brass or pot metal.

I reckon I will find out for sure when they come in.I'll let you know if they fit my 01 RSV and if they are brass or pot metal.

I just made a visual comparison of the '99 and '07 keys and they look like the same blank even though they have a different head. So maybe the 2ndGens are all the same design. I do know that a 1stGen has several different blanks. The key code and blank number are stamped on the back of the ignition switch housing. The blanks are numbered F1,F2,F3,F4,F5,F6. Hope yours work. Before getting them coded try them in your switch to make sure they will fit in the keyway...

I have routinely gone to the local keysmith to have keys made. They always have the blanks (except for the BMW), and the keys always work. They end up being about $5 a key and are right the first time.

RR

That's why I suspect that all 2ndGens are the same blank. Don't try that with a 1stGen...