IGNORED

How many miles can ya get out of a thumper...

uncledj

I've been considering buying an enduro to use when travelling with the motorhome. I figure that style of bike will be light enough to carry on the trailer hitch, rather than to have to pull a trailer to haul my Venture. It wouldn't be used for much more than short hops; giving me an easy option to leave the "mothership" to run errands and such.

I have a lot of experience with air cooled enduros, had an xl350, an xl500, an xr600 and a TT500.

They were all air cooled single cylinder.

I'm looking at a 97 Kawasaki KLR650, which is liquid cooled, but it has 32,000 miles on it. That seems like a lot of miles. This bike will have minimal use, but my old air cooled thumpers would have never made it that long without a top end rebuild.

How many miles should I expect to get out of an adult ridden, liquid cooled thumper like this?:confused07:

Edited by uncledj
mis spelled werd lol

I have a 96 Suzuki DR650 which is an oil cooled thumper. Bought it with about 16000 miles on it 5 years ago and now it has 36000 miles. It is starting to look rough but it still runs good and doesn't use any oil. One thing on the KLRs that I have seen discussed on the Thumper forums is the Doohickey. They are always talking about upgrading them. Google Doohickey and I am sure you will run into a discussion. I wouldn't be afraid to ride mine across several states.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742912

The DR and KLR are equivalent bikes. I was looking for a KLR when I found my DR.

Edited by midnightventure
more info

I have a little over 55,000 miles on mine it's a 2004 model still runs great. There is a couple of guys in our group with over 80,000 miles and no problems.

It all on how they have been taken care of in my opinion. There is some deals out there if you look around been thinking about a newer one.

I have a little over 55,000 miles on mine it's a 2004 model still runs great. There is a couple of guys in our group with over 80,000 miles and no problems.

It all on how they have been taken care of in my opinion. There is some deals out there if you look around been thinking about a newer one.

This guy is asking $2k for it. I'm really not looking for a newer one since I really won't get much use out of it. I doubt it'll get 500 miles a year use.

Since I posted the thread I've been researching it, finding mixed answers, and lots of mention of the "doohickey" upgrade.

The bulk of the owners don't seem to think 32 k miles is much of a problem.

The KLRs seem to have parts readily available, and a pretty good network of support.......of course nothing as great as this site.......but seems like some dedicated klr owners out there.

I might be starting to like the idea of a KLR......of course I'll have to ride one to be sure.

:detective:

A KLR is simple as a tractor. The doohicky is easy to do if not already done. And, I have the tools required (and are willing to loan them to you - they are for a 2nd gen KLR, but I am pretty sure the tools are the same for both generations).

Get the doohicky and torsional spring from Eagle Mike. Accept no substitutes.

There are lots of places for parts, accessories, and farkles. In general, they are relatively inexpensive also.

The KLR is a fun, reliable, pack mule of a bike. You will like it. Although, you will have to get thick skin for the ridicule about being cheap.

Get a milk crate for the back. :stickpoke:

RR

This guy is asking $2k for it. I'm really not looking for a newer one since I really won't get much use out of it. I doubt it'll get 500 miles a year use.

Since I posted the thread I've been researching it, finding mixed answers, and lots of mention of the "doohickey" upgrade.

http://klrworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=144&Itemid=1

There is a 04 for sale here locally for $2500 OBO with less than 10,000 miles a 2000 model for $1500. I found a 2010 with 1200 miles for $4000 that I've looked at twice now but still haven't bought it.

Guest tx2sturgis
I doubt it'll get 500 miles a year use.

This would worry me, since you want a water cooled bike... (the KLR)

Seals, gaskets, thermostats, relays, fans, and pumps will be sitting motionless for most of the year, and at this rate, only 20 hours use per year, things could dry out, corrode, seize, settle, gel, stick, warp, or drag in that cooling system.

Water cooled bikes like to be ridden. (well, they ALL do of course, but air/oil cooled bikes dont normally corrode internally from sitting for a few months)

Now, if were ME...for this type of use, I'd be looking at an air-cooled bike instead....(maybe even an air-cooled scooter!) but thats just me.

:whistling:

Edited by tx2sturgis

I don't typically let them sit that long.

Even when I don't use a bike, ...weather permitting.....I'll take it for a short ride once a month of so just to keep it "fresh".

In the Winter I start 'em once a month and run 'em long enough to warm up a bit.

:cool10:

klr is a great bike! I want another one! just sold my cr500, tired of rebuilding it every 30 hours or so. if you get the klr, I have a new trunk plate for mounting, well, a trunk or pelican case. powdercoated black, never installed. let me know! oh, Happy Trails panniers are best! im actually using pelicans on my Venture!

I can't speak to longevity, yet, but I picked up this 2008 with 8900 miles on the clock last fall for $2500. Be aware, the KLR is TALL. No big deal to throw on shorter suspension links, but good to know just the same. There is gobs of mods and aftermarket farkle for the KLR.

Also, the big Kwacker is a complete dog power wise. I just went down one tooth on the counter shaft sprocket, and I can just barely get the front wheel off the ground with a throttle roll on in 1st and 2nd. Couldn't get the front off the ground at all with the stock gearing. Still, seems to be a good scooter for around town and light off road work. It is a ball to ride, especially after riding the RSV road sofa.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/gat803/klr3-2013004.jpg

Picked this up today 2011 KLR 650 8,000 miles, owner decided not his thing.

http://images.craigslist.org/3I73Fa3N25N55Kf5F4d4584ed3a68c51b1bae.jpg

For sale 2004 KLR 650 55,236 miles comes as seen. I have a extra complete rear wheel with bigger sprocket and more aggressive tire for off roading with chain for a quick swap. It has no issues just bought newer bike. aluminum skid plate, fork brace, Bark Buster hand guards, oversize front brake rotor, Progressive Fork springs and rear shock, rear rack, Doo Hicky's done, cleated foot pegs, bar risers and another set of black plastic. $2000

http://images.craigslist.org/3Ef3G53L95Ia5L55E5d438e29da86743919a8.jpg

Now that's tempting.

I talked about it with the wife, and we pretty much decided that I need to clear out the stable a bit to make some room, then I'd buy a newer KLR. I'm gonna sell my Nighthawk cb700sc, (cool bike but I never ride it), will also sell the 82 cb900 custom, (needs cleaned up and minor resto work), and also gonna lose the 93 Katana 600, (might just dump it, but all I know that it needs is paint).

I was thinking I'd spend in the neighborhood of $5k, which should get a pretty late model.

At $2K, yours might be the way to go.

Would there be any issues with riding it the 12 or so hours back to Central Ohio?:)

Edited by uncledj
wanted to list the bikes I'd be losing.

I had a 1st Gen, 2006, KLR650. They are a great bike. I put over 20K in one year on mine. The y last a long time if maintained. Cheap to maintain and repair. Sold my KLR for my 87...hope to get another KLR as soon as possible. Did I mention they are a great bike ? :happy65:

I use a Piaggio with my RV .........

I thought about doing the scooter thing, but to get one that will carry the warden and I at highway speeds will be more expensive than an enduro, and would weigh at least as much.

Plus, with an enduro I may get the chance to play once in a while.:cool10:

Now that's tempting.

I talked about it with the wife, and we pretty much decided that I need to clear out the stable a bit to make some room, then I'd buy a newer KLR. I was thinking I'd spend in the neighborhood of $5k, which should get a pretty late model.

At $2K, yours might be the way to go.

Would there be any issues with riding it the 12 or so hours back to Central Ohio?:)

No Sir, I would ride it anywhere, if I had the time would ride it up for you to look at. I bought the 04 in late 05 with 1,200 miles on it a guy bought it kept it a year traded it back in on a cruiser. It was originally black, I bought the green plastic new and put the black up.

I've got it posted locally with a lot of interest also.

I just came across the other bike at a price I couldn't walk away from. :)