IGNORED

u-joint replacement

hi all

could anyone tell me at what milage should you change the u-joint on my '99 rsv? i have over 42,000 miles on mine, it seamed ok when i pulled the rear end, driveshaft and swingarm off and greased everything a couple of months ago.

fixen to put about 2,ooo miles on it next weekend and will to going to the international rally in july. just rather change it now than on the side of the road.

thanks in advance

don

Don,

Until it starts making a clunking noise in the area of the middle gear, I wouldn't worry about it. The needle bearings are sealed and until they wear out there is really nothing you need to do. If it starts making a clunking noise on decelleration or accelleration you can verify it by taking the rear wheel off the ground and then move the wheel back and forth where you should feel it. And it's not a easy job because at a minimum the entire swing arm must come out. I did one on a 93 and it wasn't fun where I had to come with some creative solutions to get it replaced. I think the manual requires you to remove the engine to replace it? I've got over 90k on my 2002 and it's still doing fine.

There you have MHO,

Rick

Don,

As long as you keep it properly lubed you will more than likely never have issues with it. They Rarely go bad and that I'm sure is from major abuse. I wouldn't even think twice about it and Rick has shared all the advise that you need to know if problems do arise:happy34: