IGNORED

Interesting report on Harley and BMW

SilvrT

Ok ok... A real CRAZY question... Is there a way to actually ADD an ABS system to the ventures? What's involved?

Barry, simple answer...yes, it can be done...with a LOT of money. Much more money that it is worth.

Anything is possible with enough money. :080402gudl_prv:

:backinmyday:

No linked brakes for me. While I would like the option of ABS, I EMPHATICALLY do not want front braking when applying rear brakes and vice-versa...unless I do that on purpose. There are very, very, VERY good reasons to keep the F & R separated, I think.

You are right...the ABS should be the first option, like it was back in the '01 thru '05 years. I have looked at the current situation through Hondas' eyes, and they pizz me off because of their money grubbing ways. If I were the manufacturer, I would want my riders to be safe, so they could come back and buy more bikes over the years, than to have less safety, and rely solely on the next generation to buy the new Hondas, because Honda allowed the current generastion to buy bikes that were less safe than they could have been.

I was soooooooo mad when I had to buy my '06 Wing, and I refused to be a Pimp Daddy with all of Hondas' crap on it. I ordered one without ABS, because I refused to have a heated seat or their GPS. Luckily for me, years of riding the '03 and '04 Wings trhat had ABS, taught me how to ride the Sport-Touring 1800 GL, so by the time I bought the '06...without ABS, I was prepared. Still would have liked to have had ABS, but I am too much of a howdy doody freckle faced kid to be a pimp daddy.

Would own a Goldwing properly equipped, but all those options lumped into four packages turn me off... Now the CB, Airbag and ABS... they should be standard equipment!

Not an option

STANDARD EQUIPTMENT...

A touring bike needs certain amenities.... GPS, xmradio and the like aren't so they should be independent options.

I guess I could possibly see someone not wanting the CB, so... that could actually be left as an option as well, but after having one, I wouldn't be without on a Touring bike...

Agree with the money grubbing on Hondas part... Safety should always be first !

Maybe the new RSV will include the airbag and ABS as standard, FOR THE 2014'S ?

GUESS THEY'RE ALL MONEY GRUBBERS...lol

Edited by CaptainJoe

Miles.... same bike but option for linked or non-linked ABS.... which would you choose and why?

Don, very good question, and...despite what Beltfed50 said...I think it depends on many factors that would make the decision as to which system I would choose...either linked ABS or non-linked ABS. There are many things to consider...the style of bike, meaning cruiser, touring, adventure...on road or off road...and the type of engine...v-twin, opposed 6...v-4...inline 4...etc.

As per your question...same bike, but two options, I would most likely lean toward a linked ABS system. Why...Those riders that understand what a real linked brake system means, also understand that when you hit the rear brake foot pedal, you are not equally getting the same amount of front brake pressure as you are rear brake pressure, and...vice-versa.

It all depends on the number of brake pistons in each caliper...front and rear. Example, on a Wing, if you pull on the front brake lever, you are engaging the two outer-most pistons on each of the two from brake calipers, one on each side, and the center piston is not engaged. But you are also engaging the center brake piston on the rear caliper, when that front brake lever is pulled. So, in essence, front brake lever engages a total of 4 brake piston on the front, and one brake piston on the rear.

If you push down on the rear brake pedal, you are now engaging the two outer pistons on the rear caliper, and engaging the two inner-most pistons on the front calipers...one on each side of the front, so in essence, the rear brake pedal engages a total of 4 brake pistons.

Given that 70 + % of a bikes braking ability comes from the front brakes, it is good to have some braking at the front end, when engaging the rear brake pedal. If you were to attempt to lock up the rear brake by using the rear brake pedal...on a NON-ABS GL-1800, that had linked braking, you would not be able to lock up the front brakes...while attempting to lock up the rear. It gives you some braking up front, but not enough to lock up the front rotors.

I can see...and agree...with Beltfed50's concept of wanting to have 100% control over which brake is doing what, and if the occassion ocurred that I wanted to lock up the rear brakes, then I would want control over that. But...this is 2013...not 1972...and that being said, the manufacturers go to great lengths to test these bikes and make the decision as to link...or not link. Some manufacturers have gotten it right, and a few...a few...have not been as careful as they should have been.

My original opinion was that I did not want linked brakes or ABS brakes when it came to my adventure bike. I proved myself wrong. I originally wanted to be able to slide the bike, and spin the rear tire, and basically flat-track it, if the need arose, when riding on dirt or gravel roads. But...spend 50,000 to 100,000 miles on gravel and dirt roads, at speed, and you will find that the modern bikes allow you to do what you need to, yet they can also save your butt when it comes to ABS, linked, and traction control that can be turned off or on.

Quick answer...it depends on the bike. But my initial choice would be...linked ABS.

I wonder on thier "would buy again" stats, Hd basicly makes like 3 styles of bikes, all big and mostly geared towards touring with exception to maybe the sporty and the Dyna style bikes. BMW simular deal either an RT or dual sport of which if you like one your probably not changing to something else. Ymaha and Kawasaki for the most part have ummm given up on the tourning folks for the most part. They have sunk tons of money into the sport bikes. So my guess would be the majority of Kawi and Yamaha owners ar sport bike owners. From there I ask if you rode one of them things for 2-4yr would you buy another one? :confused24: