IGNORED

Tires?

kevin-vic-b.c.

NO I do not intend to start a debate.........

I have a question...... 2008 Venture what kind of tires come from the factory and what kind of wear mileage do they get? I know everyone will have an opinion as to whether they are good or bad.

I am looking at an 08 with 17,000 Kms on it (about 11,000 miles) and it has the original tires. Kinda tells me they are a hard compound right off but owner says they have about 1/2 life left.

Kevin

NO I do not intend to start a debate.........

I have a question...... 2008 Venture what kind of tires come from the factory and what kind of wear mileage do they get? I know everyone will have an opinion as to whether they are good or bad.

I am looking at an 08 with 17,000 Kms on it (about 11,000 miles) and it has the original tires. Kinda tells me they are a hard compound right off but owner says they have about 1/2 life left.

Kevin

Kevin, I'd suggest on the back one if it has that many on it, there won't be 1/2 tread left ... some folks really have no idea and just take a wild guess about such things.

Where is this bike at? Got a link to share?

I would take a guess if its the orginals from 08 the tires could be as old as 07 build date. So on an oval near the bead you should find a code. Search on here and you can find a thread or 2 about tire age and build dates. My 09 had Dunlap e-3s as far as I know. AS was mentioned depends on where it was on assembly. Typicaly they buy tires in batches, when that batch or contract bunch runs out they go to the next.

I guess I am old-school because I do NOT trust the wear bar method when it comes to MC tires. I rely on a good visual inspection of the whole tire, the actual depth of the tread, actual mileage on the tire itself, and the date of the tire's manufacture. Also....Riding double will result in quicker wear of the tires and brake pads and does factor into my decision to replace all as needed.

I don't take any chances when it comes to tires or brake pads....I replace them all early and as often as needed....We have enough road hazards to deal with and I don't want/need to worry about tires/brakes when I am out there on a ride.

Lastly....Pay attention to the air pressure in your tires!

Boomer....who sez when ya have pygmies along for the ride ya need to be extra cautious....:whistling:

Here on the curvy roads of B.C., I've never got 20000 Km on any tire, on any bike, that I've owned. I would bet they are more than half worn. Ron

FWIW...

I had the D404 (rear) on my '06. I replaced the rear once with a E3. If I recall correctly, there was maybe one and a half riding seasons on the E3 when I sold it and it still had lots of tread.

There was 46,000 km on the bike when I sold it so, that would suggest that I got well over 20,000 on the D404.

Edited by SilvrT

I guess I am old-school because I do NOT trust the wear bar method when it comes to MC tires. I rely on a good visual inspection of the whole tire, the actual depth of the tread, actual mileage on the tire itself, and the date of the tire's manufacture. Also....Riding double will result in quicker wear of the tires and brake pads and does factor into my decision to replace all as needed.

I don't take any chances when it comes to tires or brake pads....I replace them all early and as often as needed....We have enough road hazards to deal with and I don't want/need to worry about tires/brakes when I am out there on a ride.

Lastly....Pay attention to the air pressure in your tires!

Boomer....who sez when ya have pygmies along for the ride ya need to be extra cautious....:whistling:

I'll agree, for what you have invested and putting your loved one(s) on it tires and breaks are cheap and being stuck on the side of the road or having your loved ones erecting a memorial ain't fun. . .

FWIW...

I had the D404 (rear) on my '06. I replaced the rear once with a E3. If I recall correctly, there was maybe one and a half riding seasons on the E3 when I sold it and it still had lots of tread.

There was 46,000 km on the bike when I sold it so, that would suggest that I got well over 20,000 on the D404.

It must be the heat of the Interior, and most of my travel has been to warm places like Cali, Arizona, South Dakota, etc. I have a Hagon tire pressure monitor system so tires are always 40/42. My bike is approaching 50000 KM, I've gone through the original 404's, changed them out at about 14 km, they had some tread but were crap. I put on a set of E-3's, changed them at around 30K for another set of E-3's, and at 45k put on a Michelin Commander II and new E-3 on the front. We'll see how that lasts. I will admit that I don't run my tires to bald, they usually have some tread when I change them. Normally it's cause I'm embarking on a trip, and don't want the hassle of dealing with unknown dealers and mechanics, but they certainly don't have half their life left.

It must be the heat of the Interior, and most of my travel has been to warm places like Cali, Arizona, South Dakota, etc. I have a Hagon tire pressure monitor system so tires are always 40/42. My bike is approaching 50000 KM, I've gone through the original 404's, changed them out at about 14 km, they had some tread but were crap. I put on a set of E-3's, changed them at around 30K for another set of E-3's, and at 45k put on a Michelin Commander II and new E-3 on the front. We'll see how that lasts. I will admit that I don't run my tires to bald, they usually have some tread when I change them. Normally it's cause I'm embarking on a trip, and don't want the hassle of dealing with unknown dealers and mechanics, but they certainly don't have half their life left.

Now, after I posted, I got to thinking ... the problem is, my hard drive (head) can store info ... it's just that it doesn't retrieve it so well anymore ... anyhoo, I am totally not sure about what I said LOL.

I will check my file when I get home .... I might have gone a 3rd rear tire, that being the E3.

On the Royal Star forum, a fellow said he took his took his E-3's off at 19000 MILES, and was considering a different tire for more longevity. I looked at his profile, and he was from Florida, there's like 3 curves in half the state. LOL The other reason my tires might be wearing more quickly is that when we take a trip we try to stay on secondary roads that more interesting (read winding). I HATE riding superslab. :)

Now, after I posted, I got to thinking ... the problem is, my hard drive (head) can store info ... it's just that it doesn't retrieve it so well anymore ... anyhoo, I am totally not sure about what I said LOL.

I will check my file when I get home .... I might have gone a 3rd rear tire, that being the E3.

OK, went into my file and I did forget LOL

Changed out the stock D404 at 22050 kilometers. Replaced it with a Bridgestone Spitfire II

Changed that out at 34961 Kilometers. Replaced it with a E3

Sold the bike at 43,500 kms

Not sure what tires were on my 2008 Venture... bought in 2010. I had to replace the tires at about 12,000 km. Love the Avons I replaced them with.

My concern would be that the original tires are now at least 5 years old, and may be getting a little hard (puck- like). So, if you go for the bike (and I LOVE mine), plan on new tires.

Western PowerSports in Langley have a tire sale March 23 - 30. 40% off tires in stock, 30% off anything they have to order.

On the Royal Star forum, a fellow said he took his took his E-3's off at 19000 MILES, and was considering a different tire for more longevity. I looked at his profile, and he was from Florida, there's like 3 curves in half the state. LOL The other reason my tires might be wearing more quickly is that when we take a trip we try to stay on secondary roads that more interesting (read winding). I HATE riding superslab. :)

I have to ride a ferry to find a super slab from here so I don't see many unless traveling and yes I am the same way... if there is a secondary going the same way I will take that. I am having trouble with the company letting me take time off so I may not work much of this summer, hopefully I will get lots of miles under my butt.... with any luck on a second gen.

OK, went into my file and I did forget LOL

Changed out the stock D404 at 22050 kilometers. Replaced it with a Bridgestone Spitfire II

Changed that out at 34961 Kilometers. Replaced it with a E3

Sold the bike at 43,500 kms

Those Bridgestone Spitfires are actually a pretty nice sport touring tire, I'm surprised they have a size to fit the Venture. I just took a pair off my second bike (1981 Honda CBX) that were in good shape but the date stamp was from '99. They actually rode and handled really nice. I put on a set of Michelin Pilot Activ sport touring tires. It's a collector bike with 30000 KM. I don't anticipate putting huge miles on it, but 13 year old tires made me nervous.:shock3:

• 4 weeks later...