IGNORED

Say "Good-Bye" to the MicroCar Museum

Blackjack

Car collectors and enthusiasts from all over the world are already descending on Madison GA for the once-in-a-lifetime auction to be held at the MicroCar Museum. Each and every car will be sold to the highest bidder, as the owner has decided to liquidate what is considered to be the greatest and most important collection ever of these fascinating vehicles.

A number of us have visited this incredible exhibit on several Meet & Eats over the years. This was one of my favorite collections and I always felt like a kid in a candy store. The design and utility of these cars always mesmerized me. I am so appreciative that I had the good fortune to visit a number of times, especially with so many good friends from this site, but am saddened that I will never be able to do so again.

http://microcarmuseum.com/

I will let you in on a little secret...shhhh...come a little closer...

I have been following this upcoming auction for the past 4 months. I am a registered bidder, and will be bidding online starting tomorrow and Saturday. I have a few cars I am interested in, as both my wife and I love very small cars. With any luck, the cars I want are oddball enough that I won't get into a long drawn out bidding war, and I can get them for a reasonable amount.

I will let ya'all know on Sunday or Monday if I am lucky enough to be the highest bidder. Then, need to schedule a trip out to GA to pick it up.

I will let you in on a little secret...shhhh...come a little closer...

I have been following this upcoming auction for the past 4 months. I am a registered bidder, and will be bidding online starting tomorrow and Saturday. I have a few cars I am interested in, as both my wife and I love very small cars. With any luck, the cars I want are oddball enough that I won't get into a long drawn out bidding war, and I can get them for a reasonable amount.

I will let ya'all know on Sunday or Monday if I am lucky enough to be the highest bidder. Then, need to schedule a trip out to GA to pick it up.

That's cool Miles. Wish you luck in getting what you want at the price you're willing to pay. :080402gudl_prv:

Larry

I just saw the estimates of what each will bring.... :shock3:

Cool cars, tho!

Yeah, their estimates are a lot high. Not a little high, but a lot high. That is why I am going to be bidding on a few oddball cars, that I hope fewer people will be interested in.

I am only willing to pay, what I am willing to pay, and I won't get sucked into a bidding war, just to up the price.

I am hoping to get one car, and if I get the winning bid on one, then I am out for any further cars.

Edited by Miles

Too bad the museum is closing. That was a fun day trip for those of us in georgia.

I looked at the sale brochure, and sure enough the prices were a bit steep, and even registering to bid is expensive enough to keep the curious like myself at a distance.

I would like that Hires Rootbeer vending machine though.....

Just so that I don't have to start a new car thread,. on a motorcycle forum, I will tag onto this one, since car people are reading this.

I have a very close friend that lives just north of Carson City, NV, and south of Reno, NV., and he has 3 cars he would like to sell, but is in no hurry.

The first is a 1967 Pontiac Firebird, that is as close to concourse condition as possible. This car is a 90+ on a scale of 100.

The second car is a 1955 Ford Thunderbird. This car is a complete car, but not done with the restoration. It is all there, and not a pile of junk parts. If a person wanted to finish the complete restoration, this is a good car to have.

The third car...and one that I may possibly buy from him, is a 1958 Mercedes Benz 190SL. This car has had a full and complete body off paint job, but...it is the wrong color. MB did not make rootbeer brown cars back then. It is all there, and the restoration is 80 % done, but needs to be finished. All new tops, new interior, etc.

I do not know prices on these cars, so you would have to ask him. All cars are stored inside a heated shop, and this guy does not have junkers. He also has a '67 Camaro, fully restored, a 95 out of 100, and he will not sell it. A convertible BTW.

If you are interested in any of these, let me know. This guy is a rider, I have been very close to him for almost 40 years, and I know what his cars are like.

If I don't buy one of the micro cars today or tomorrow via the auction, I may just spend my money on that '58 MB 190SL, and do a full repaint to the correct color, and then finish the restoration myself.

Just so that I don't have to start a new car thread,. on a motorcycle forum, I will tag onto this one, since car people are reading this.

I have a very close friend that lives just north of Carson City, NV, and south of Reno, NV., and he has 3 cars he would like to sell, but is in no hurry.

The first is a 1967 Pontiac Firebird, that is as close to concourse condition as possible. This car is a 90+ on a scale of 100.

The second car is a 1955 Ford Thunderbird. This car is a complete car, but not done with the restoration. It is all there, and not a pile of junk parts. If a person wanted to finish the complete restoration, this is a good car to have.

The third car...and one that I may possibly buy from him, is a 1958 Mercedes Benz 190SL. This car has had a full and complete body off paint job, but...it is the wrong color. MB did not make rootbeer brown cars back then. It is all there, and the restoration is 80 % done, but needs to be finished. All new tops, new interior, etc.

I do not know prices on these cars, so you would have to ask him. All cars are stored inside a heated shop, and this guy does not have junkers. He also has a '67 Camaro, fully restored, a 95 out of 100, and he will not sell it. A convertible BTW.

If you are interested in any of these, let me know. This guy is a rider, I have been very close to him for almost 40 years, and I know what his cars are like.

If I don't buy one of the micro cars today or tomorrow via the auction, I may just spend my money on that '58 MB 190SL, and do a full repaint to the correct color, and then finish the restoration myself.

It must be nice to have the time and where-with-all:mo money: to play in this game.

I would if I could, but, I can't so I won't

Good luck, keep us posted on the project with pics.

Here are the 3 cars I will be bidding on. I am hoping that they are far enough down the auction day, that most others bidders are gone, bored, or spent out. And I think these are a little odd, so will demand less money.

Lot # 307 - 1967 Subaru 360 Custom

Lot # 612 - 1957 Vespa 400 (car), there is one of these running around our little town, owned by a local guy.

Lot # 248 - 1958 Zundapp Janus

I will see how things go. :whistling:

Terry, we also had always wanted to see this museum and never managed to make it until a meet and greet finally worked out for us. Great place, great time with good :bighug:friends. Glad we got to see it before it was too late. Wanted to take our grandson but time never worked out for us.

Here are the 3 cars I will be bidding on. I am hoping that they are far enough down the auction day, that most others bidders are gone, bored, or spent out. And I think these are a little odd, so will demand less money.

Lot # 307 - 1967 Subaru 360 Custom

Lot # 612 - 1957 Vespa 400 (car), there is one of these running around our little town, owned by a local guy.

Lot # 248 - 1958 Zundapp Janus

I will see how things go. :whistling:

I wish you luck with this ... Those cars are a lot of fun :)

My next purchase is a Russell Day-Long for my 86 VR. That will cost a small fortune by my standards, but I have high hopes that it will help me to a better Rally Season ... and last year wasn't bad :)

I did not have the highest bids on any of ther 3 cars I bid on.

The 1967 Subaru 360 Custom sold for a littrle over $ 28k

The 1957 Vespa 400 (car), solf for a little over $ 28k

and The 1958 Zundapp Janus sold for a little over $ 53k

I was only willing to go 25k on each of the cars. I was very surprised at some of the prices that cars were sold for...some of them going for over 100k.

Oh well, I have enough projects as it is, and will either talk my friend in Nevada into selling me his 1958 MB 190SL, or his 1955 T-Bird.