IGNORED

Aux Light Switch Options

OK, I have light bars in the back of my 89VR and a set of fog lights on the lower crash bars. Each has a lighted rocker switch. Installed I am assuming originally in '89. They are getting corroded. I am adding new LED accent lights. So I need to put in another switch. I was thinking of replacing the two existing switches when I add the third so they all match. I have seen for new bikes master and cluth cylinder covers with built in switch assemblies from a few places. Has anyone used these on the VRs? Otherwise, looking for a good replacement switch for the ones I have.

One issue is they are mounted now on the right side plastic under the handlebars like many are done. Round holes and new switches are square. Not wanting to do a lot of removal cutting etc. If needed then so be it but looking to learn from someone who has already been down this road. thanks.

Gary,

Round switches are still readily available, you can get them in lighted models as well. Are you running the fog lights through a relay? I know you probably know this already, if not it would be a great idea to do that as you will get more power to the lights and less strain on the switch.

I'm not sure if the Kuryakyn switch box will fit on the 1st gen handle bar master cylinders. I can't think that they wouldn't as the majority of handle bar M/C are shaped pretty much the same.

If you want, ride up here to Cleveland one weekend and we'll brainstorm and come up with a good plan....:2cents:

I had a toggle on my driving/fog lights. I replaced it this winter with a lighted rocker. The rocker uses a rectangular hole, but it's pretty easy to enlarge and square off the round one.

I uses a switch like this one except in amber. I used the same switch in green for my tape-aux conversion. I got the switches at a local electronics store for under $10.

They are rated at 10 amp, so theoretically they should run a pair of 55w lights. I used a relay though, and I recommend they be done that way.

Squidley, thanks and may do that after I get her back. Hope this week. Have not looked at the Kuryakyn to see the size. I have seen others as well. The homemade unit Snaggletooth listed was interesting too. I will have to look at the switches mounted there now. There is room for another switch but even the two I have are on part of the plastic rib support on that black fill in area around the head. I may look at doing a similar homemade unit mounted over that area. Have to do some looking. Thanks for all the ideas and help. Now to get her back and hope the shoulder is well enough to handle it. 6 weeks out from surgery and doing well but I know it is still a little weak.