IGNORED

A few newbie questions for you veterans

Dale124

Hi all. I hope these aren't too stupid of q's, but as I await possession of my new purchase, I do indeed wonder a few things.

First- what "generation" are we on now. I see the posts for 1st and 2 nd generation, etc, and wonder where we are at In the count.

Second- does anyone still use the cb radio these days?

Third- how different is the handlebar mounted fering compared to a chassis mounted one? Is it something that makes no difference?

I'm sure I will think of more silly questions in the future, but thanks in advance for not laughing too loud.

1999 to 2013 is a 2nd Gen!! 1983 to 1993 are 1st Gens

1st and foremost there are no stupid Questions.

Welcome to the site

The fairing issue I personally prefer the handle bar mounted rather then frame mounted.

I like the fairing to turn in the direction of the front wheel. Have owned both and just like the handle bar mount......Ron:cool10::cool10::cool10:

Hi Dale

Welcome.

We are on the second generation and have been since 1999.

I use the CB radio a lot when riding in groups or with friends. It is much easier and better than a cel phone for bike to bike communication.

With a frame mounted fairing the headlight does not turn.

Mike

Ahhhh, and instead I prefer the "fixed" (Frame mount) fairing!!!

Welcome aboard!! There are no stupid questions, just sometimes stupid answers, all in fun!

As stated 1st gen is '83 - '93, with two vwesions, the MK1 which is '83 - '85, and MK2 which is "86 -'93. The main differences being 1200cc vs 1300cc engine and larger saddlebags and trunk lus better barkes for the MK2. The 2nd gen is '99 - present and it is a whold different animal!!

As far as the CB, we at Venturerider use ch 29 as our "official" channel, and use it all the time in group ridwes!

The main reason I myself prefer the fixed fairing of the 1st gens is the mirror view does not change when you turn the handlebars!!! We ended up dropping our new 2nd gen while making a u turn. Had the mirrors been ib a fixed position we would have noticed the dumb fu** passing other traffic that was waiting for us to do our U turn. Luckily I ,looked behind and noticed the white car but unfortunately the combinatkion of a high crowned road and hitting the brakes while turning backto the curb was all it took!!

I am one of several members to have both a 1st and 2nd gen. You're going to find this a very friendly and informative site!!

I have rode both fixed and the handlebar mounted fairings. Been a long time since I have been on the fixed (frame mounted) one though. I like the fixed fairings. The only difference I really notice on the bat wing or handlebar mount types is ocasionaly in gusty winds they can sometimes move you around a little.

I have not had any luck with my CB. It works this I know but adjusting it to where I can hear anybody has not been accomplished yet. I messed with it a little last summer but I either got nothing but static or the fellows I could hear were only a mile or two up the road. Not anything like I remember back in the days of my former use of one. I'm sure I just havent learned the fine tuning art of squelch for it.

had both style faring mounts on different bikes, really didn't make much difference as you get used to them fairly quick. As for the usw of a CB all the time. It's great when traveling. I will question on coming truckers about weather and road conditions where I'm headed. I will usually talk to a trucker as I enter a big unfamiliar city and tag behind them to go straight through. As stated also group or buddy rides the CB is great if someone in the back is having an issue or just wants to stop and rest.

Hi all. I hope these aren't too stupid of q's, but as I await possession of my new purchase, I do indeed wonder a few things.

First- what "generation" are we on now. I see the posts for 1st and 2 nd generation, etc, and wonder where we are at In the count.

Second- does anyone still use the cb radio these days?

Third- how different is the handlebar mounted fering compared to a chassis mounted one? Is it something that makes no difference?

I'm sure I will think of more silly questions in the future, but thanks in advance for not laughing too loud.

I have not had any luck with my CB. It works this I know but adjusting it to where I can hear anybody has not been accomplished yet. I messed with it a little last summer but I either got nothing but static or the fellows I could hear were only a mile or two up the road. Not anything like I remember back in the days of my former use of one. I'm sure I just havent learned the fine tuning art of squelch for it.

On a second gen the cb antenna goes on the left and that is a common problem with improper setup. Clean the connections, check to make sure wires are in good condition and adjust the swr, if you only use one channel adjust it to that, if you switch alot adjust 1 and 40 and you will compromise but should be good with all.

Warranty warranty warranty

Squelch is a threshold. It is like a door spring. Set it so that every little nusance can't open it but the stronger signals can. Once open though everything comes through. It has no effect on volume.

Mike

Antennas are correct I belive. The one on the left has the black piece on it about mid way up. Dont have an SWR meter any more. I'm not sure the dealership knows how to adjust it either. lol If I remember right you loosen an allen screw and adjust the height of the antenna.