IGNORED

Anti freeze leak

Barry.B

Hi Guys I have a 2004 midnight Venture and as I was working on it today I notice a anti freeze leak on the left side front block behind where the fins are bolted on, it is a rubber plug that goes into block that looked like it should have a bolt in it but it don't . there is one of the same on right side to but not leaking . Has anyone seen this before ,your advice is much appreciated . and I also notice that my carb's on left side are all wet .:crying: :scratchchin:

It's not uncommon at all. You can screw an old sparkplug into that hole and use it to pull the plug out. The new one just presses in and the fins keep pressure on them. A lot of people have taped a dime onto the fin just over where the plug is and it puts enough extra pressure on it to stop the leak.

There are 4, one under each set of fins.

If you do not drain the coolant before you pull one of those plugs, you will have a minor flood on your hands. Never run the bike with the fins off, those plugs will blow out.

There is a very good write up in the tech sction on changing the coolant, with a very clever idea using an old water bottle as a funnel. It works really well.

That's what I was kinda figuring/hoping. Thanks!! Gonna add that to the list of to-do's. BTW, I did get my air cleaner project finished, but the weathers been too crappy to get it out. Maybe Sunday, sposed to be around 45 or so. I can tell that the throttle response is quicker now.

• 3 years later...

I have looked at all the parts fiche I can access. Either the cylinder drain plug is mislabeled or they left it off the diagrams. You may have to check with a dealer because if they can't find it on the fiche either they can at least get the dealer help line to figure it out.

I put a dab of silicone sealer on mine and was quick to pull the old one and put the new one in. I lost very little coolant, and this worked good for me. The dealer did have to order the new plugs and a I think I used a penny ( I'm cheap) for a spacer til the new plugs arrived.

Bill

• 6 months later...

There is a small leak on the front right of my RSV again which was supposed to have been fixed by a mechanic a couple of springs ago. I'm going to try the penny fix. Does anyone know the torque numbers for the bolts holding the fin on?

Thanks

Mover