IGNORED

Venture engine sound

My 2009 Venture (Hannigan triked) has started making an odd sound. This will surely cause some "witty" comments but here goes.

As I accelerate and ride the bike makes a sound that I can only describe as emulating an FJR or and FZ6R (I've checked and I do still have the original Venture V-4 engine :) )

So it still has the normal Venture sound but there is also the other sound. I have no loss of power and gas mileage seems to remain the same. I'm guessing that I have an air leak somewhere maybe? It's not overly loud but it is noticeable to me.

Not really, but it seems to be up front, perhaps between the front of the tank and the fairing. Of course the fairing will redirect the sound back to the rider. That's kinda why I think there might be a hose suckin' air somewhere. It isn't very loud but it is noticeable (at least to me). I'm not real sure how to describe it except to say it seems to me to sound like a sport bike that is very quiet accelerating, sort of a whining vrroommmm. It maintains the level of sound as I maintain speed. That is, as I speed up it sounds as though it is accelerating and when I reach cruising speed it holds that level of sound. I have not had any problems, have not been under the tank. It actually sounds rather nice as I'm riding but I fear something is not right and I'd like to find and fix it.

I don't think its transmission whine, though I could be wrong, I was once before (smile). It only started a couple of months ago. I'd have to take the bike and ride it to be sure, but I believe it maintains sound and volume at cruising speed, but I believe it dies when I roll off the throttle.

Boomer lives close enough we might could meet and have hime listen to it if that would help. The east Tennessee area is getting ice/snow tomorrow (Fri) and I have a STAR meeting Saturday, but Sunday/Monday etc I'm available if he would like to give it a listen.

did you change your oil right before you noticed this sound?

I once put in yamalube 10w40 and it whined like a banchee... noise was really noticeable in a certain range of about 15mph. say from 45-60 mph. At 70 mph couldn't hear the whine at all

Put 3000 mile on her and changed back to 20w50, no more noise... :confused24:

I'd go about it this way:

If you squeeze the clutch in at speed and the noise is still there it's not the tranny or clutch basket. tranny noises generally get louder when you apply throttle.

If you then (with the clutch still in) hit the kill switch and the noise is still there it's not a vacume problem either.

Tires on these bikes can also be loud.... I went with Dunlop E3's and they are definately noisy... My dunlop 404's were quit.

I feel very sure that I'm able to tell the difference between windscreen/lowers noise and tire noise. So I'm positive I can rule those out. Weather here in east Tennessee has cleared so I'll be able to get the bike out over the next couple of days and try some things out.

Guest scarylarry

As boomer said it could be the clutch whine..

Also, this is a long shot but it could be the tires depending on the brand, I have ran E3's and got a whine from hell from them it was the only set that did that and it did not start off that way..

I narrowed it down to the tires cause I could lean the bike a little and it stop..

Like I said it is shot in the dark on it being the tires, but clutch and tires would be my first to things to look at...

Its the cassette player, change the tape

Now thats Funny!

Probably Axel Rose of "Guns and Roses" ?????

YOU COULD BE MINE, perhaps?????

Now thats got a lot of Whinning in it....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlzptZ9wieQ]Guns N' Roses - You could be mine - YouTube[/ame]

HA!

Captainjoe: I have not figured it out yet. East Tennessee has been very cold, icy, rainy and snowy. Also trying to isolate sound while riding with a helmet is rather difficult. It does rise and fall as I go through the gears and again as I indicated before my best description is that (to me) it rather sounds as though there is an FJR matching my speed/gears but that the FJR is superimposed over my Venture. It is not very loud and it does not seem to be affecting operation of the Venture.