IGNORED

Replacment fuse block

These are the pictures of my new fuse block. The block came off of the ebay site for about $10 or $12.

The fuses are in the exact order as they were originally in except the accessory fuse was moved from the top to the bottom by extending that wire, by doing this I got more slack in the cables to put on the new crimp connectors.In moving the accessory fuse to the bottom I was also able to jump to the next fuse possession which gives me the benefit of adding another fuse for another accessory but you will have to remember not to go over the 10 amp total for both accessory fuses.

I removed the old glass fuse block and used the bottom screw to mount the new fuse block and drilled another hole in the battery mounting bracket and used a brass screw and nuts to mount the top of the new fuse block. This brass screw became my accessory ground and strain relied for the bikes cable assembly.

The new fuse block came with a cover but it was too tall to allow for the bikes top cover to mount so I had to leave it off. I did use dialectic grease on all the connections.

I did this last year and have been very happy with it. I got a lot of the ideas from other posts on Venture Rider.

• 5 months later...

Our very own SkyDoc sells that identical kit here on the site, and with the instructions its a snap to install, thats where I got mine. It comes with everything except the fuses. Wires, connectors, mounting screws, blocks, and connecting wires.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3762&title=first-genfuse-box-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

Right off the top of my head I can think of 52 reasons to go e-bay.

Seriously, skydoc's kit appears to include a 6 pole fuse block (on e-bay for $8), 2 lengths of cable with connectors, several assorted screws and connectors (all of which I already have) and what appear to be 2 fused links, not to mention instructions for installation.

Apparently that price includes shipping to the lower 48 as well.

Please excuse my ignorance if I should know this (I'm new to touring bikes with all the do-dads), but are those pieces indeed fused links, and what are they replacing?

I also noted the relocation of the control module. Is there a practical purpose to this beyond ease of access?

They are not fuseable links, they are just wires to connect to two 4 terminal blocks mounted to the top of the air cleaner. Computer relocated for ease of access. SKydocs is a little pricey but he supplies everything except the fuses and stands behind it 100%, I went to the auto store and bought everything I needed to do the same job, and the time I spent fixing everything up the way Skydoc has already done for you, to me, its worth the extra price.

Right off the top of my head I can think of 52 reasons to go e-bay.

Seriously, skydoc's kit appears to include a 6 pole fuse block (on e-bay for $8), 2 lengths of cable with connectors, several assorted screws and connectors (all of which I already have) and what appear to be 2 fused links, not to mention instructions for installation.

Apparently that price includes shipping to the lower 48 as well.

Please excuse my ignorance if I should know this (I'm new to touring bikes with all the do-dads), but are those pieces indeed fused links, and what are they replacing?

I also noted the relocation of the control module. Is there a practical purpose to this beyond ease of access?

I agree with the Skydoc kit. I bought one a couple weeks ago. It was an easy install with the directions, plus he includes his phone number if you need help. So I got a great up grade and a new friend. I will always use Earl as my go to guy for any part or upgrade on my 84 Venture.

I appreciate the information, and advice. I think I'll save the money on this one and do it myself.

I am looking at skydoc's anti-dive block off plates. My machine, although low miles at 18K, has been sitting for a while, so I need to replace the fork oil, and may as well upgrade to progressive springs at the same time. The anti-dive valves appear to be working properly, but not nearly as well as progressive springs will.

This ain't no goldwing, I want...no need...to be able to dive into the corners.

Thanks again.