IGNORED

Need pictures of an RSV being dis-assembled/worked on

I have some of the major components coming for a 2003 RSV. Frame, rear suspension, front end, handle bars & controls, foot controls, tank, fenders, seat etc.

I am going to use these parts as basis for a hybrid 1st Gen/2nd Gen/VMax.

Never having seen a disassembled RSV, it would be helpful if someone could get me as many pictures as available of an RSV in various stages of dis-assembly. This would greatly help on my winter (probably several) project.

:mo money:

Gary

Have you downloaded the parts manual ?

I have the service manual & parts fiche. Pictures are more intuitive than the sketches in the service manual.

I am going off the reservation with this one, other than fenders, no body plastic. Solo seat. 1st gen 1300 VMax style drive train. Minimal instrumentation.

Not sure where this all will lead to. Sort of like a blank canvas. It will be different for sure in the end.

Gary

This is what I have....

Where are the air cleaner filters at? Looks like they may be above carbs.

Reason I ask is a set of VMax side scoops would look cool if I could use them as functional intakes & get them contoured to the RSV tank.

Gary

The air cleaners are covered by the black rounded plastic at the top of the lower fairings[ATTACH]72522[/ATTACH]

Ride Happy, Ride Safe

The air cleaner is the black piece in front of the front head behind the front lower. The part above the carbs is the manifold or air box.

With some ingenuity and McGyvering, could a filter element be located in the structures above the carbs?

Gary

With some ingenuity and McGyvering, could a filter element be located in the structures above the carbs?

Gary

Anything could be done. The space is limited and you would have to pull the tank to get to the air cleaners. Some one posted a pic of a very custom bike here and they had plumbed out the sides and had individual cone filters sticking out the side. If I remember correctly they had to modify the carbs to make it work.

Here are a few. It may be hard to find pictures of a second gen in a major state of disassembly because they don't break down like those antiques.:stirthepot:

Hate to burst your bubble, but a 99 RSV is now 14 years old, starting to get a little long in the tooth ! ! !

:crying: :stickpoke: :backinmyday: :rotfl:

Gary

Hate to burst your bubble, but a 99 RSV is now 14 years old, starting to get a little long in the tooth ! ! !

:crying: :stickpoke: :backinmyday: :rotfl:

Gary

And they are still in 1 piece riding down the road.:confused24:

Good luck with the project.

Here is an idea for you. Pull the stock carbs off build a manifold have it wrap around and over the tank on both sides then mount a holley double pumper with a velocity stack above the fuel tank.

Gary

I've seen the mods done on a RSV where the breather box directly above the carbs was removed and replaced with filter pods directly onto the carbs (I have similar set up on my customized VStar). The owner adapted his mods after seeing it done on a VMax. I can't remember what else he had to do to the carbs (rejetting etc) but he says he gets a lot more 'giddyup and go' from this mod.. and most likely burns more fuel when he drops the hammer on the throttle..

Have a look at the VMax forums for breather mods, it may give you some leads..

I've seen the mods done on a RSV where the breather box directly above the carbs was removed and replaced with filter pods directly onto the carbs (I have similar set up on my customized VStar). The owner adapted his mods after seeing it done on a VMax. I can't remember what else he had to do to the carbs (rejetting etc) but he says he gets a lot more 'giddyup and go' from this mod.. and most likely burns more fuel when he drops the hammer on the throttle..

Have a look at the VMax forums for breather mods, it may give you some leads..

As a general rule, removing airboxes is unwise.

They are not simply a box to hold the filter, they are a tuned part of the induction system and when they are removed the whole thing goes out of balance.

Balance can usually be restored, and maybe a few hp released, but there is always a price to pay.