IGNORED

83 Clutch Slipping

motorbiketim

I bought my 83 about 18 months ago and the clutch has allways slipped if I accellerate hard. Last winter I took the clutch a part and the disc looked OK so I ordered some barnette springs and put her back together. This helped a lot but it still slips at higher speeds and higher RPM's.

I assume that I will need to just bite the bullet and replace the hole clutch but was hoping for any advice such as where is a good place to get these parts and, is this a common problem with these bikes?

Thanks and sorry if this is a reduntent topic.

Tim

I bought my 83 about 18 months ago and the clutch has allways slipped if I accellerate hard. Last winter I took the clutch a part and the disc looked OK so I ordered some barnette springs and put her back together. This helped a lot but it still slips at higher speeds and higher RPM's.

I assume that I will need to just bite the bullet and replace the hole clutch but was hoping for any advice such as where is a good place to get these parts and, is this a common problem with these bikes?

Thanks and sorry if this is a reduntent topic.

Tim

Before you go replacing the whole clutch you need to check a few things first. #1, what type of oil are you using. #2 when's the last time you bled the clutch, and did you get all the air out of the lines?? #3 does the clutch slip right away, or after the engine starts to warm up? There are quite a few things that can cause the clutch to slip, and replacing the disc's might not be the answer.

My 83 clutch slipped some under acceleration as well. A while back i found on this site a modification that eleminated this problem with my clutch. may not work for yours.

Placing spark plug seal washers under the springs provided just enough tension to stop my clutch from slipping, and as you stated, my plated look new.

This may not work for yours because you already swaped out the springs so they should be at their correct length and tension; But it might work.

All i did was buy six lawn mower plugs and took the washers off. I placed these washers under the springs and put it all back together. Works like a new clutch now.

Tim,

Something that needs to be done when you pull the clutch apart is take some sandpaper and rough up the steel discs that are between all the friction discs. What happens is when a clutch slips it glazes the assy and if you dont remove that glaze you can have problems with slipping even with a new set of springs.

Rick H at Buckeye performancs can get the friction discs, probably has them in stock. Jack had a good point also with completely bleeding the clutch system and install new fluid. Let us know if you need some more info and we'll get you rolling again :happy34: