IGNORED

kickin tires on a Ural

Guest tx2sturgis

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tx2sturgis
Those things make me drool.....until I look at the price. Dang, I could buy a brand new RSV, Goldwing, or Victory tourer for that money. Whew.....I like nostalgia, but not that much!

Yeah they aint cheap.

Well the base model 1wd is about 10 grand. But thats pretty basic, just for tooling around on the pavement mainly...or occasional dirt roads.

I remember when I saw my first Ural for sale in Austin at the ROT rally back in 1995 (I think) it was about 6 grand.

But since then, the bikes have been upgraded and improved.

Of course, its all relative. People who dont ride bikes at all are gonna say the same thing about the bikes you mentioned priced the same as a nice new car or decent new pickup.

Try this with your Goldwing!

[ame]

[/ame]

Edited by tx2sturgis

You found us! and here we are thinking we were being sneaky! :doh:

Brian -

Dont u know its impossible for men to be SNEAKY when women are around ?:stickinouttounge:

Seriously though, it was really nice talking with you...we could tell you were a enthusiast and we like spreading the word so to say...

Come back in, we can put that quote into purchase mode...I will ask my distributor tomorrow what they know about the specials on the APR....

Either way, even if you decide NOT to get one (u know u want one)....we welcome you back in anytime !

Take Care

Brian -

I did just get an email from our rep & the APR special has been extended til end of December AND as a extra bonus, they are offering an extra 1 yr extended warranty until end of year....

so, two more good reasons to quit kicking & start riding a Ural.....

let me know if you have any questions...

Take Care !

Steph

Yeah they aint cheap.

Well the base model 1wd is about 10 grand. But thats pretty basic, just for tooling around on the pavement mainly...or occasional dirt roads.

I remember when I saw my first Ural for sale in Austin at the ROT rally back in 1995 (I think) it was about 6 grand.

But since then, the bikes have been upgraded and improved.

Of course, its all relative. People who dont ride bikes at all are gonna say the same thing about the bikes you mentioned priced the same as a nice new car or decent new pickup.

Try this with your Goldwing!

No thanks. I didn't see anything at all in that video that is appealing to me. The older I get the more I hate the cold. If I want to run trails and snow covered fields in the winter, I'll buy an old Jeep and stay half-way warm anyway.

For those who like running in the snow on an open machine, the Ural looks like a good way to do it.

Guest tx2sturgis
The older I get the more I hate the cold.

But with the handle you use here, I assumed...well....ok...

Never mind.

:whistling:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
I assume that this will teach you to not assume.

:hurts:

Yeah I know. But if some guy signs in with 'TheDesertRat'...im STILL gonna assume SOMETHING!

I assume you agree? :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Found some pics of a few Urals, with accessory lighting, and the amount of luggage that some owners carry.

It turns out the Ural has a decent electrical system, and weight capacity of about 600 pounds total.

I'm looking forward to a bit of this kind of fun! :happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
So.....sounds like you bought one??? Or soon will???

Congrats! You'll have to keep us all posted on your journey with that classic.

Joe

Yeah, I ordered one. The option that I wanted (powder-coated drivetrain) was not available, around here, on the remaining 2012 units in the color I wanted.

So I ordered a 2013 Patrol, 2WD, Woodland Green, black powder-coated engine, color matched fairing. The picture below shows a similar bike. These bikes are still hand-made, in Russia, then it takes awhile to get shipped and cleared through US customs.

It should arrive around the first week of January. Great time of year to break in a new bike, I say! :happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
My brother in law has one, he likes it for short trips, I haven't ridden it yet, hope he gives me a chance one day.

Let us know how it goes with yours, should be a blast.

Yeah, this bike is not going to be my primary superslab cruiser, its not meant to replace the touring bike.

But I have been wanting something different, to putt around on locally, maybe ride a couple hundred miles now and then, but mainly for use in a 75-100 mile radius around where I live, and also, to take camping, maybe fishing, and the occasional dirt/gravel road.

It wont replace the road sofa, its not meant to. Its just going to be a new bike in the collection. Besides, I have always been fascinated by the sidecar rides, but never wanted to mount one on an existing bike I own, due to the handling issues.

I will sure keep ya posted!

:happy34:

Yeah, I ordered one. The option that I wanted (powder-coated drivetrain) was not available, around here, on the remaining 2012 units in the color I wanted.

So I ordered a 2013 Patrol, 2WD, Woodland Green, black powder-coated engine, color matched fairing. The picture below shows a similar bike. These bikes are still hand-made, in Russia, then it takes awhile to get shipped and cleared through US customs.

It should arrive around the first week of January. Great time of year to break in a new bike, I say! :happy34:

Very nice!!!

In the pix that you posted showing how other owners load them down, I noticed that most of them had a lot of lighting installed as well. Evidently the Ural has a heavy-duty charging system?

Looks like you are in for some fun.

Guest tx2sturgis
Very nice!!!

In the pix that you posted showing how other owners load them down, I noticed that most of them had a lot of lighting installed as well. Evidently the Ural has a heavy-duty charging system?

Looks like you are in for some fun.

They have a 55 amp, (770 watts) automotive style alternator, mounted on the top of the engine. Plenty of extra capacity for lights, heated gear, and a stereo! :D

This is a picture of one of the older 2 wheel bikes, but shows the layout.

I think you made an excellent choice. We all ride motorcycles for similar reasons and that is to meet people, both riders and non riders and ones that wish they could ride. We also enjoy the pure adventure of just riding, not just one style of bike, but whatever bike we get a chance to ride just to see what they are like but ultimately just to ride. I agree with Brian I don't think I would buy this bike for the long distance rides but I think it would be a blast to ride it on short trips and also in the winter months. An interesting note, every ural owner that I have talked to have had nothing but great things to say about the bike. As can be appreciated, it wouldn't be for everyone however if it were, we would all be riding the same bikes.....its definitely got my interest!!!!

They have a 55 amp, (770 watts) automotive style alternator, mounted on the top of the engine. Plenty of extra capacity for lights, heated gear, and a stereo! :D

This is a picture of one of the older 2 wheel bikes, but shows the layout.

Sure looks easy to work on when the alt needs servicing!

Joe

Guest tx2sturgis
Sure looks easy to work on when the alt needs servicing!

Joe

Yeah, that would give the local small town AutoZone boys a thrill.

"You say it's a WHAT sir?"

:whistling:

Guest tx2sturgis
....its definitely got my interest!!!!

Its ONLY money!

:happy34:

I saw a picture somewhere of a Ural with a ski, attached to the front wheel, for a snowmobile type of ride.

Might be right at home up there in the Great White North!

eh?

:D