IGNORED

I pulled the trigger on the HF

cabreco

I did NOT intend to 'bad talk' the HF trailers...but I DID want the OP to have some information regarding the setup of his new trailer, and what to do about the issues that might arise.

I still do NOT believe that a leaf spring trailer which is set up to handle nearly a half ton will ride comfortably, smoothly, safely, and quietly behind a bike when its only carrying say, 150 pounds of gear. The spring pack will be quite stiff when the trailer is lightly loaded. This isnt really a problem behind an automobile, (which that trailer was designed for) ..but we are talking about a motorcycle pulling that trailer.

Conversely, if the springs are modified to be softer, then they wont be able to handle a full sized touring bike if that is what is loaded on the trailer.

Most commercial cargo/utility trailers built to be towed by a motorcycle have springs or torsion bars that are rated around 500-600 pounds...there is a reason for that. Heavier springs will be too stiff, and the trailer tires can actually leave the pavement momentarily during turns and bumps.

And yes, tire pressure is important too. Some members here will not agree with me on this. But in order to provide the best tire contact patch and treadlife, the 8 inch trailer tires which are RATED at say, 950 pounds at 36 PSI, (each) should be deflated to about 18-24 PSI when the trailer is no more than say, 250 pounds TOTAL. Thats a ROUGH estimate. I have run them as low as 12 PSI..(when the trailer was empty) ....and they track MAH-VUH-LUSLY.

I run afoul of others in this belief, but I'd rather get good traction on my trailer tires, and a bit less treadlife than to have a trailer that bounces and bumps around curves because the tires are inflated to 36 or 40 PSI and maybe last a bit longer. Maybe. Anyway, those 8 inch tires are CHEAP.

And virtually EVERY commercially built motorcycle trailer built for pulling behind a bike, will adhere to the 1.5 formula for the trailer geometry. Look at the pictures on the internet of them....they ALL have a longer drawbar distance than the HF trailer does, for a given axle length. (axle to coupler distance, not trailer body to coupler)

I will let the others with HF trailer experience talk about bearings and fasteners and what all...they can guide others with those issues.

I think we can all agree that a $150-$300 trailer designed to pull behind cars and carry a riding mower or 5 bags of concrete might not be QUITE up to the same standards we prefer to see in a safe trailer pulled behind a bike. And for most riders who buy this type of trailer, they probably intend to make some modifications anyway.

But I COULD be wrong...its happened before.:whistling:

All good valid points. I do not have a HF trailer. I have a Dart. Nothing wrong with the HF, just not the look that I want behind my scoot. So I opted to spent the extra for what I have. I have seen unmodified HF style trailers bouncing down the road behind a bike more than once. I think most poeple do not think about the spring rates and tongue lengths. I know my Dart is looooong. With the swivel coupler I think it is around 96 inches long. BUT, because the torsion spring is properly set-up and the longer tongue, it does not sway or bounce. ANYONE that is considering the HF trailers, search the threads and ask questions from guys that have them. LISTEN to what they say. They have been there and done that. If you want it to tow properly, you will have to make a few mods, but that's the fun......modifying something and making it your own!

I have an HF trailer with nothing more than two 2x4s across the bed to mount the box on.

I'm pretty sure the tongue is standard length.

It pulls great...except I think I have to replace one tire because once I hit about 55 mph it starts to bounce a bit.

I have been told they cannot be balanced by several different shops

Next trip to HF. Too much up here.

Did more work today on the HF Mini. I welded in a 1x1 box steel under the front of the cooler rack for stability & I also welded the back of the rail to the trailer. The generator fit real nice in the cooler rack box.

I made a side carrier to be able to haul a 1 gallon gas can just in front of the driver side tire.

To hold the box in & add extra rigidity, I used 2 lengths of 2x6 pressure treated wood. The biggest pain was I needed to replace the carriage bolts that mount the box to the trailer as they were 1" too short. I go to Home Depot but they don't have metric carriage bolts. What I did was buy 1/4" x 3 1/2 stainless carriage bolts & I use my tap & die set to re thread the original metric hold down knobs to 1/4" 20 course. Now I can attach my cargo net to them without having to add extra eyebolts.

I also put in an edge trim on the carrier top as well as a new weather seal on the box. The old one was crumbling.

My swivel hitch arrives tomorrow so I'll be able to take her for a test drive probably Thursday to see how she tracks. Then I'll weld the trailer up if it passes snuff. I did pull the extra springs off since I decided to just use this behind the bike.

I'll take pix tomorrow since it got dark on me here & my hands are KILLING ME!

It sucks getting old!

quick pix still working on her.

Ok here are more pix. She handles fine a 45MPH and below I loaded it with 150lbs of sandbags & the tongue wt was 42lb. This is with the generator in the front box. the tires were at 20 psi. The swivel hitch makes a BIG difference. I have to keep checking to make sure the trailer was till there.

Edited by cabreco

Guest tx2sturgis

Looking good, but I dont see a tag...are you in state thats tolerant of that? Or they dont provide a temporary tag at the tax office/DMV?

:think:

Looking good, but I dont see a tag...are you in state thats tolerant of that? Or they dont provide a temporary tag at the tax office/DMV?

:think:

Hardly...Virginia not only wants tags but annual personal property tax on this thing too!

I have to take a run to DMW with the certificate of origin to get a title & tags for it. No big rush though as my Venture has a leaking riight fork seal...more fun!

• 1 year later...