IGNORED

Avon Rear Tire Pressure Question

awsmsrv

OK, I've just noticed that my current rear tire says 42# max. Maybe I'm going nuts, but, I seem to remember they used to say 50# max. I've been running it at 47#. What does your Avon rear tire sidewall say? If yours says the same, what do you make of it? Is it no longer safe above 42#? Thanks.

I think you follow the manufactures instructions, the compound and design changes with almost every year. If it says 42 max then use that, if you put 47 in it don't complain if it wears quick or strainge or say the tire is no good. I doubt that it is a miss printed tire.

:2cents:

Kevin

I noticed the same thing on my new rear Avon, 42 max.

Boy did they change, here are the recommended pressures now, but load rating still the same.

XVZ 1300 Royal Star, Venture, Classic, Tour Deluxe (1995 onwards)

Front Tyre

Venom

Pressure front:

2.5 bar (36psi)

Front size:

150/80-16 71H

Rear Tyre

Venom

Pressure rear:

2.9 bar (42psi)

Rear size:

150/90B15 80H

Edited by Sleeperhawk

OK, I've just noticed that my current rear tire says 42# max. Maybe I'm going nuts, but, I seem to remember they used to say 50# max. I've been running it at 47#. What does your Avon rear tire sidewall say? If yours says the same, what do you make of it? Is it no longer safe above 42#? Thanks.

That's because there are 2 different speed ratings. One speed rating is higher speed lower load and has a lower sidewall pressure.

The other is lower speed, higher weight and has the 50psi sidewall pressure.

Goose turned me on to this fact a couple years ago. He also said the higher pressure one lasts longer as well.

Not 100% sure what the designation is, but I want to say it's "H"

EDIT:

Okay, after some research I believe the difference in the nomenclature of the tires is this:

150/90B15 - 80H - This would be the higher weight, lower speed 50 psi tire

150/90VB15 - 74V - This would be the lower weight, higher speed 42 psi tire.

Edited by gibvel
added information

And the speed rating is for continuous or sustained use. Developed in the 80's in Europe to designate tires for autobahn speeds. A short term blast above the tires rated speed is no problem. 2nd gens don't worry much about that anyway. :innocent-emoticon:

That's because there are 2 different speed ratings. One speed rating is higher speed lower load and has a lower sidewall pressure.

The other is lower speed, higher weight and has the 50psi sidewall pressure.

Goose turned me on to this fact a couple years ago. He also said the higher pressure one lasts longer as well.

Not 100% sure what the designation is, but I want to say it's "H"

EDIT:

Okay, after some research I believe the difference in the nomenclature of the tires is this:

150/90B15 - 80H - This would be the higher weight, lower speed 50 psi tire

150/90VB15 - 74V - This would be the lower weight, higher speed 42 psi tire.

The problem is, the new rear tire is the 150/90b15 and it is marked as 42 lb on the tire.

Where I posted above, those numbers came from Avon web site. So something has changed with the tire. I used to run 46 rear, but will keep it at 42 now.

The problem is, the new rear tire is the 150/90b15 and it is marked as 42 lb on the tire.

Where I posted above, those numbers came from Avon web site. So something has changed with the tire. I used to run 46 rear, but will keep it at 42 now.

Well, I got one about a year and a half ago, called Goose cause I couldn't remember which one to get, and I got the one that has 50 psi on the sidewall. The one I had before this last one was a 42 psi and I was surprised because the one I had before that was a 50 psi sidewall and I thought that's what I was getting again.

From your numbers it appears that they have, recently, changed things. So the 80H has Max 42 psi stamped on the sidewall??

fyi. I sent an email to Avon and asked about the difference between the V (higher speed rating) and H after buying a V by mistake. Avon replied that the V had a softer compound and was designed for the Vmax.

So one can expect less miles from a V rated tire, but probably better high speed traction.

Thats what I have on the rear of my RSTD now.

fyi. I sent an email to Avon and asked about the difference between the V (higher speed rating) and H after buying a V by mistake. Avon replied that the V had a softer compound and was designed for the Vmax.

So one can expect less miles from a V rated tire, but probably better high speed traction.

Thats what I have on the rear of my RSTD now.

I had "Z" rated tires on both my FJ1200A and VFR750.

Those rears would be lucky to last 4000 miles ... Some of the guys got through them in half that mileage. Dropping to a "V" rated and "being sensible" doubles the life.

The "Z" rated tire would leave black lines on the road under normal, moderately heavy, braking without even a hint of locking the wheel.

I used to treat the high cost of a set of tires simply as a consumable for a summer of fun.

Well, I got one about a year and a half ago, called Goose cause I couldn't remember which one to get, and I got the one that has 50 psi on the sidewall. The one I had before this last one was a 42 psi and I was surprised because the one I had before that was a 50 psi sidewall and I thought that's what I was getting again.

From your numbers it appears that they have, recently, changed things. So the 80H has Max 42 psi stamped on the sidewall??

Ok, went and looked at the rear tire again.

Does say 42lb, but has the "V" rating stamp.

Well this tire will not last as long as the "H" version

Ok, went and looked at the rear tire again.

Does say 42lb, but has the "V" rating stamp.

Well this tire will not last as long as the "H" version

Yep. I've already told my dealer to make a note that I want the H rated tire in the future.