IGNORED

looking for an engine hoist.

Flyinfool

I need to borrow/rent an engine hoist / shop crane for a couple of weeks.

I was looking at buying one from Harbor freight (on sale now for $180 - 20% coupon + $144) but I really do not have room to store it when I am done with it.

I just bought a surface grinder to put in my basement shop and need the hoist to disassemble it, load it, unload it, and then again to reassemble it in my basement.

Anyone have one within 100 or so miles of Milwaukee? I have a full size P/U to come get it and return it home in a few weeks when I am done.

I have also been watching Craigslist and ebay to find a good cheap one that I can use and then resell when I am done with it.

What about one of the rental places? I know sometimes by the time you rent it a couple days you can just about buy one. We had one at the shop that folded up and disassembled into minimum space, it was handy.

Yup, I can buy a new one at Harbor Freight for less than the rental.

The only local rental I can find is $25 + $10 per day. I will need it at least 2 weeks. The HF is on sale $144 and thee are some coupons around for $99

I need to borrow/rent an engine hoist / shop crane for a couple of weeks.

Thought about making a tripod hoist out of 3 2x4's? That is what most of the guys used to remove their car engines back when I was a kid. Depending on the size of what you are going to lift and where it needs to be lifted, a bipod hoist might be even better.

Found a pic of what I was thinking... well, sort of... You likely won't need the tank. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:M32-ARV-HVSS-latrun-1.jpg

Edited by camos

I may not need the tank but I might still want the tank.

I need to lift a surface grinder.

My best guess is around 2200 lbs.

It is almost 7 feet tall so the boom must reach higher than that.

I need to lift it up off of a pallet and then set it down on a dolly.

Then once it is in my basement I need to pick it up again to remove the dolly and set it in place on the floor.

I ended up buying a 4,000 lb folding hoist at HF today. It was on sale and I used a 20% off coupon and took the floor model at an additional discount. Ended up with it for $135. I will end up modifying it to fold up even smaller than designed and then I will have one for when I convert my mill to CNC.

Cool. Now I know where there is one to borrow if I need it.

:smile5:

RR

Not a problem.

I would rather see it get used than to simply die of old age.

It had no issue picking up that surface grinder. I estimate the grinder at around 1800 lbs.

Now I may have to schedule a M&E to get the new to me grinder into the basement.........

It will take 3 or 4 people. Technology does the hard work. I have it stripped down to the one real heavy part is only about 450 lbs. all of the rest of the parts will be no problem for me to handle with just a dolly.

The 4,000 lb capacity will just handle my 3800 lb mill if I ever get an urge to move it.:whistling: