IGNORED

My New "Custom" Cooler with Rack

Long Tall

On a ride with a Goldwing Bud a few weeks ago I was envious of is Bushtec Cooler Rack attached to this Bushtec hitch. On a weekend trip we had no need for the trailer, but his cooler held some cold drinks and snacks. His wife liked it and my wife "REALLY" liked it. Sleeperhawk has a rack I liked some time back, but that company is out of business. Soooooo I ordered the same Igloo 16Qt. cooler that Bushtec uses and had the frame and cover made. On his Wing it is mounted longways left to right (Wing Lights mounted higher than RSV). I did not want to "WIRE" the rack so I measured and discovered that the cooler mounted N & S versus E & W (could not see the turn signals that way on the RSV) would work. I have a signal dynamics light bar for the brake, and the license plate is visible so here it is. Note: I ordered FuzzyRSTD's Hitch Clamp from our sight to tighten things up. Works GREAT by the way. All in...$120.....

Long Tall

Lynchburg, VA

Long Tall, that looks great my friend. Thanks for the pictures here. I may use one of them on my web site if that is OK with you Sir.

I thought you would be be pleased with the Hitch Clamp. Those things work really well and add an extra security to the Hitch and Receiver connection. A pretty good peace of mind, and takes all the wiggle or play out of the accessories or trailer connection.

Thank you for mentioning my Hitch Clamp product Long Tall. I am glad you are happy.

Regards,

Fuzzy :usa: :usa: :thumbsup2:

Long Tall, that looks great my friend. Thanks for the pictures here. I may use one of them on my web site if that is OK with you Sir.

I thought you would be be pleased with the Hitch Clamp. Those things work really well and add an extra security to the Hitch and Receiver connection. A pretty good peace of mind, and takes all the wiggle or play out of the accessories or trailer connection.

Thank you for mentioning my Hitch Clamp product Long Tall. I am glad you are happy.

Regards,

Fuzzy :usa: :usa: :thumbsup2:

OK with me....It works for sure...

TKS.... PS...Does look better with the snaps....

Guest tx2sturgis

This is certainly an example of 'thinking outside the box', LT, ...and I respect that, but...

I have to wonder about the effect on handling when the cooler is full of 30 pounds of ice and drinks. It will tend to lighten the front,especially on rough or gravel roads, and possibly, over time, wear or loosen the bolts that attach the hitch to the subframe. (of course this can happen with a normal trailer being pulled)

I do see a great value in using the cooler as a luggage box, hauling some lightweight items or clothing to the picnic area or hotel room, and then buying ice and drinks upon arrival, removing the misc items, and filling the cooler for use at the event, picnic, or party. But thats probably not your plan.

Of course its a done deal now, so let us know how it handles when you put it in service. :happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

This is certainly an example of 'thinking outside the box', LT, ...and I respect that, but...

I have to wonder about the effect on handling when the cooler is full of 30 pounds of ice and drinks. It will tend to lighten the front,especially on rough or gravel roads, and possibly, over time, wear or loosen the bolts that attach the hitch to the subframe. (of course this can happen with a normal trailer being pulled)

I do see a great value in using the cooler as a luggage box, hauling some lightweight items or clothing to the picnic area or hotel room, and then buying ice and drinks upon arrival, removing the misc items, and filling the cooler for use at the event, picnic, or party. But thats probably not your plan.

Of course its a done deal now, so let us know how it handles when you put it in service. :happy34:

I like the idea of using it for added storage when you do not want to pull a trailer. Hmmmm, me Spacely Sprockets and Cogsley Cogs are turning now.....................

Guest tx2sturgis
I like the idea of using it for added storage when you do not want to pull a trailer. Hmmmm, me Spacely Sprockets and Cogsley Cogs are turning now.....................

JANE!!! STOP THIS CRAZY THING!!!:D

Hey, that is exactly how I treat my cooler when going on longer trips...except that my cooler is on the openframe trailer, but the same idea applies.

I use it as extra storage: camping supplies, towel, LED lantern, tent stakes, airmattress inflator, beef jerky, a couple cans of food, extra batteries, etc. I dont try to keep buying ice for a cooler thats exposed to 600 miles of summer heat on the highway just to keep 6 canned drinks cold.

Even in drenching downpours, there are only a few drops of rainwater in the cooler, not enough to matter. I keep a towel folded up at the bottom to soak up the moisture, and also to cushion the cargo. I do use bungees to keep the lid tightly closed.

When I arrive at the campsite, I unload all the junk...ooops...I mean supplies, then go retrieve ice and drinks from the local c-store. Of course, this wouldnt work well if your camping destination is so far from civilization that a trip to the store and back is a 5 hour ordeal.

On my shorter trips around the area, I DO use it for carrying ice and a few canned drinks, but I'm not riding for hours in the heat. Maybe an hour or two.

BTW, in that case, I use block ice, which I make in my own freezer, since the melting rate is much slower.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I have a small cooler ( six bottled waters ) that I put on my passenger seat and strap it on. I leave the lid so that I can open it when needed and use this while on some long rides. I put bottled water in that has been half frozen in the freezer. I then fill to the top with water. I also put in some ice from the motel I usually stay at. In really hot weather the bottled water will stay cold the most of the day.

I use a bandanna or big handkerchief soaked in the cold ice water from the melting. Wring it out a little and put this around your neck while riding and you would not believe how cool and comfortable this is during hot weather riding.

I did this when my riding buddy JD and I went to Lake Erie and around the shore line and through Michigan and down through the middle of Indiana this year. It was really hot at that time. Nice up around the Great Lakes, but after leaving the lakes and into Michigan it was so dry and hot. I used the wet handkerchief around my neck and when we arrived at the hotel that evening, the wet handkerchief was brown/red from the hot dust in Indiana.

We had a very good ride. It was around the week end of Memorial Day.

I would think that some kind of a insulated blanket around the cooler would help also Long Tall.

As far as his brake light goes, I am glad you considered that and that you also have extra lighting under your trunk.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

looks like a great setup. I made one last year, not as nice as yours but I added lights. I just plug it into the wire harness for the trailer. This worked great while we were touring Colorado, but haven't used it since.

http://venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=71607&stc=1&d=1347668256

Looks good.

I was going to make a cooler rack but never thought of a cover for it.

The one question I have, Do you have any red running lights visible to the back with the cooler mounted? It looks like the tail light is blocked.

YEP...The Light Bar under the trunk has running lights and is the Brake Light...

Leaving tomorrow AM for the VA Meet & Eat for its maiden trip with Cold Drinks inside...

Long Tall

One question. How long does the ice last being right at the exhaust?

Maiden trip tomorrow...Purpose for the cooler was not to fill it up with ice and drinks but have a few drinks and some snacks for stops during the day. Not going to weight it down "FULL"..As and FYI...My GOLDWING Bud went all day with his mounted in about the same position on his wing in 85 degree heat and the ice lasted all day. He has the same cover as this one.

Long Tall

This was my SECOND THOUGHT for use...Again..Not to fill it up with ice and weight but to have a cooler for a few drinks and snacks on the road. Wife and I like to stop and just have snack on the road somewhere then do the restaurant in the evening.

SHOULD I HAVE A "DOWNPOUR" somewhere, I can use it for DRY STORAGE....IF the the side bags and trunk are full.

I also plan on using on my trailer for the same "COOLER" purpose. I have and MCT Aluma Trailer...

Long Tall

This was my SECOND THOUGHT for use...Again..Not to fill it up with ice and weight but to have a cooler for a few drinks and snacks on the road. Wife and I like to stop and just have snack on the road somewhere then do the restaurant in the evening.

SHOULD I HAVE A "DOWNPOUR" somewhere, I can use it for DRY STORAGE....IF the the side bags and trunk are full.

I also plan on using on my trailer for the same "COOLER" purpose. I have and MCT Aluma Trailer...

Long Tall

Going to take it off of the rack and put it on the trailer where this one is. This one went to South Dakota last year and Ice stayed in it ALL DAY...

I have been thinking about this same idea but I have a RSTD soloed out so it would cover my tail light so I would have to rig up a light. My main purpose was to use it for shopping for extra room. I have a diamond plate box that came with my trailer that I don't use because I put the spare tire and cooler in it's place so this would work well.

The thing I was worried about was how much weight the hitch would hold without stressing it. I may try it next year. It would be pretty easy to rig up a light and I have a friend that is a welder and fabricator to build the rack pretty cheap.

I have been thinking about this same idea but I have a RSTD soloed out so it would cover my tail light so I would have to rig up a light. My main purpose was to use it for shopping for extra room. I have a diamond plate box that came with my trailer that I don't use because I put the spare tire and cooler in it's place so this would work well.

The thing I was worried about was how much weight the hitch would hold without stressing it. I may try it next year. It would be pretty easy to rig up a light and I have a friend that is a welder and fabricator to build the rack pretty cheap.

I do not know the exact advised weight on the receiver right now, but I think it is somewhere around 20 lbs. The receiver is held on with two rigid bolts on each side. I would think they would hold more than 20 lbs, but the bike would feel heavier in the rear, but not that much when riding solo anyway. I think it is a great idea, and for the Tour Deluxe especially. We do not have the extra weight and wind drag from the trunk as would the Venture. But yet we have the same suspension. Extra lights would be a good idea though. Just my thoughts. I like it a lot. I am going to build me one. Aluminum would be a good option maybe to build it out of.

Fuzzy